Dynamic IP, any help so I can host a Server ?

I have a dynamic IP, I have heard (and read) about forwarding IP through my router, but is something I have yet to do. Not totally noob at such things, but the web results I get are conflicting, and seem to lack detail on this subject.

And a lot of them just seem to be pushing there software, rather than actually trying to help.

wrt55ag ver.2 linksys router.

here are config screen shots for router.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Linksys/WRT55AGv2/index.htm

Any Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• In this case I would assign a static ip to the server that is within the range of the router, including whatever dns servers the router provides as well. Then I would open ports (28000) to that server within the router.
  • edited February 2012
    To open your ports:
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT55AGv2/Tribes_2.htm

And yes, what blakhart said, assign your server to a static ip so that the router will always forward traffic to it. Also, your router probably has an option to assisng a single ip to your server by reserving it in the DHCP pool. This is the same, almost, as a static ip and is probably the route you want to go.
  • edited February 2012
    thx u I will attempt this and c what happens..

That url seem to help me remove doubt about exactly where to chang thigs, I was not real sure. I just hope I can make it work.

I have a dsl that is monopolized by one company in this area, and I have little choice service providers, because of this.

They do offer a static IP, but at and ungodly price. I just can not afford at this time.
    ********************************************edited*************
    I am either missing something or it just won't work..I might try some more latter, just can not seem to get it to pass along my IP to the server. Tried it several ways.. I might try a cat five cable connection to the Router to see if that will help.

but I doubt will make any difference. I set the name to Tribes2.exe and the Port access number's 27999 to 29000 I felt like I applied the static IP to the server Properly.

I tried doing this individually as in 27999~27999, the another with 28000~28000, and another 28001~29000

should I just use the 27999~29000 ?
  • All I open is udp both ways to 28000. Don't worry about the dsl modem being a dynamic ip, the master will still get heartbeats if/when the dsl modem changes ip. They should do so seldoml or even never if left on all the time.
  • Also, a lot of times you will have your router ports configured correctly, but you won't know because you could have forgot to open the ports on your windows firewall. Make sure those are opened too!
  • Dynamic IP doesn't affect hosting. You will need to configure your forwarding correctly; that process doesn't differ between static or dynamic IP.

You need to forward only one port on your NAT device. This is the port that the game server is listening on in UDP mode. By default this port is 28000, but it can be changed in the server configuration (e.g. to run more than one server from the same computer/IP).
  • I am puzzled. I tried many ways, I set up static IP on Hosting system.

Then in router

Sets name to forward as Tribes2.exe

set ports to 28000~28000

NOTE: I also tried setting up the rest of Tribes2 ports 27999~27999 & 28000~28000 & 28001~29000 just to see if would help.

set IP to the hosting system which I set to 192.168.1.110 to get it clear of the other systems HTCP.

I forced the static IP to the host and disabled HTCP on that system. [did a validate on exit to make sure it went okay.]

also went to the DMZ and opened My Host IP up 198.168.1.110 *** which should have opened all ports up just to see if I missed something.***

tried turning off the Virus protection, and fire wall But still no help...:(

If I start another game of tribes solo lan I can see that the server is there and the IP is correct at 192.168.1.110 :28000

but if I start another game of tribe2 on line I do not see the server.

I see in the server Dos window --- Sent Heartbeat to TN Master

then under that I see~~~ --Your server could not be contacted

-Check you server IP / Port configuration

I feel like I have Obeyed all the directives I found here and on the net, but just won't let me get up. I really beginning to think it is the flaky darn ISP I have they did things to make it impossible for me to Obtain an ISP from anyone else, and I think also is why I am unable to make a server.. Is really SuCky..Darn
  • I feel like I have Obeyed all the directives I found here and on the net, but just won't let me get up. I really beginning to think it is the flaky darn ISP I have they did things to make it impossible for me to Obtain an ISP from anyone else, and I think also is why I am unable to make a server.. Is really SuCky..Darn
    ISP is port blocking? I've heard of throttling, but this? I just hope it's something silly than this.
  • How far do you get in online server creation? What does it say in the server console? Is the server creating serverprefs.cs.dso files in the prefs folder each time you run the online server?