New Mod and Server: BIOMod

Howdy folks, I'm [BIO]^bdc and I'm an old-school Tribes player from way, way back during the Tribes 1 days back in 1999. I used to be a part of a TRIBES clan called BIOCorps (tagged with [BIO]) that had a website and did the occasional clan vs. clan scrimmage. Back then, I spent a few months working on a mod I then called 'BIOMod' that added a few weapons and changed up a few things. It wasn't very serious even though we had a server temporarily running it.

Last year in April, I'd gotten turned back on to TRIBES 2 through a link someone sent me which was here to the TRIBESNEXT site with the new master server update and the latest full game EXE. Downloaded it, got fired up all over again after a 10 year hiatus, and started writing BIOMod for TRIBES 2. Well, it's been about a year and a half now and the mod is nearing completion (if there really is a such thing). I've re-coded many of the old ideas I used in the original into this one plus a ton more.

I've got a dedicated box setup that's running the mod plus 26 of Lagg Alot's bots that've been tweaked and modified for the mod specifically. The box is a P4 3.4Ghz with HT Intel CPU on an older P4 motherboard with 2GB of ram. It's plenty of processing power and was specifically put together with the single-core restriction of TRIBES in mind. The name of the server is 'BIOMod Battlegrounds' and is up permanently (as long as I've got Internet access and power, that is!)

I welcome any and all players over! If I see you online and I'm in the game room, I'll more than likely jump in to help out with any questions.

I also have a client-side mod for BIOMod that I'll probably wind up placing here for download once it's in a more complete state if that's alright. Currently it includes three files: One script file with modified functions and extra global data arrays and two other files that are .vl2 volume files with audio sounds specifically. The client side mod is intended to give better audio, reduce audio and network lag (where it can), and improve game experience.

I'm also taking any and all suggestions and criticism here for those that are interested. If you've got any ideas or bug reports or just plain don't like me, post it here please.

Looking forward to seeing you hard-core T2 players there!

B

Comments

• Am uploading the latest client side mod which includes the main script file, two container VL2 files, and one Readme.txt file. It is in WinRAR format.

B
  • Updated the Biomodclient.cs file last night. Added four functions that handle ammohud for the vulcan minigun and the flamethrower. Changed a few bottomprints. Those with the client mod that's uploaded here, just overwrite the Biomodclient.cs script with this one.

B
  • I'll be sure to give it a spin. Eventually. I've got a few projects of my own right now.
    -rJay
  • Good stuff! Would love to have you over rJay. And if you have any questions, I'm usually pretty easy to get a hold of to answer them. Be sure to give the client mod a try. Also, I don't know if you're a coder guy or not, but I've got a ton of stuff I've written plus other code I've collected for T2 over time if you need something.

B
  • A friend of mine and mapmaker {Roberto} (http://t2bots.conforums.com) put together a trailer for BIOMod back in January of this year showing off some of the things the mod's capable of. I've still made a lot of changes and a whole lot of bug fixes since then but it gives the basic idea of some of what's included. I really should write up a fact-sheet or something like that for the mod to detail what I've done to it. Here's the video up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyJAyP3rGM

B
  • Nice stuff! I'll be sure to check the MOD out. I'm very busy right now with mapping and scripting. I've only been playing for 9 months, but am already into the Goon Haven community. So, I'll try and find time to check it out. Also, I would like some scripts. I'm collecting old T2 scripts for God know why. :P I'm also collecting maps. I've got over 2000 already. My email is: [email protected]! :) Be sure to stop by www.GoonHaven.org to check out my latest mapping. :) Thank you,
    rJay
  • Also, I would like some scripts. I'm collecting old T2 scripts for God know why. :P I'm also collecting maps. I've got over 2000 already.
    See http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=2364.0
  • Got it already. Thank you anyway. :)
    -rJay
  • Love it!!!! ;D
  • OH yeah!
  • Just tried it. Its a fun mod, has some annoying features like the various laser weapons, but enjoyable overall.

My only problem is that I cannot see the crosshair when using the mod based veapons of vehicles... most likely some script issue, but if there is any way aruond this, I would play the mod more often.
  • Howdy Cnaeus,

Really? I thought I'd fixed all of those reticle issues many months ago if not over a year ago. Was there one in particular that was acting up? There is a bug in the Shrike swapping over to the missile launcher that I can't seem to fix that even effects BIOMod Client users (where all of that reticle data is client side and called remotely). But if you swap back to the shrike blaster then back to the missile launcher, the reticle pops up. No idea why. But other than that, I wasn't aware of any other reticle bug anywhere.

Thanks for letting me know, though. Next time you're on, if I can catch you, show me what you're talking about.

B
  • Also, for those interested, the newest client mod for BIOMod is up on Mediafire. It's just over 33Mb now and is split into 4 files (one script file and three .VL2 audio files).

You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cfut64vufff0847

B
  • I ve downloaded the latest clientside mod, but still have the reticle issue. Also, when maps are loading it says i have mismatched version...

here is the list of the scripts I use, the only guess I have is that there is a compatibility issue with one of these - I have no idea with which one, though...

scripts/UberGuy/UberTimeHUD.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/UberGameGUI.cs
    support/PJEnhancedRecording.cs
    support/bind_manager.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/Tink-look.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/Tink-Elf.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/localtaunt.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/localspammer.cs
    REVERSE_SNIPER/reverse_sniper.cs
    scripts/Barbarian/PilotMode.cs
    scripts/Halide/HalThirdInv.cs
    scripts/Halide/HalSensor.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/HalSense.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/HalRetFix.cs
    scripts/Halide/HalLowAmmo.cs
    scripts/Halide/HalLockWarning.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/HalDeployer.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/Faramir-Bomber-Crew.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/DioVFavs.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/DioPackHUD.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/DioFlagCall.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/teamChatFix.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/cleanDSO.cs
    scripts/autoexec/delukas/automissle/automissile.cs
    Scripts/Autoexec/TracerECM.Auto.cs
    scripts/TDX/ECM/GUI/ECMMenu.gui
  • Any one of those that messes with reticles at all may or may not be the problem.
  • ^ webpage is not available ^ :(
  • edited December 2016
    To all of those who want the latest client and it's not available, try getting it from here instead, whenever I can I'll upload the latest client version here:

[link temporarily removed]
  • Thanks for that Roberto. Awesome server, guys, hop on. :D
  • BDC, since you aren't answering to emails I guess I'll just post here to get your attention for a bit. The BIOMod server has some issues, it keeps disconnecting people with the message "connection to the server has been lost," or something like that. Silent Eagle and I had fun for a couple of matches until it kept disconnecting us. Could you fix that please? And also set the time limit to something like 20 or 25 minutes so a siege map doesn't last two hours.

Also, if you switched emails PM me.
  • BDC, since you aren't answering to emails I guess I'll just post here to get your attention for a bit. The BIOMod server has some issues, it keeps disconnecting people with the message "connection to the server has been lost," or something like that. Silent Eagle and I had fun for a couple of matches until it kept disconnecting us. Could you fix that please? And also set the time limit to something like 20 or 25 minutes so a siege map doesn't last two hours.

Also, if you switched emails PM me.
    I am not sure he's on here anymore. At least not often at all. I will attempt contact for you.