A Call For Mod Mentors...

Perhaps it would be nice to detail the process of modding Tribes 2 in plain English for those aspiring to be map creators, skinners, and Mod designers within our new community. For instance, here is a tip for Mod newbloods:

vl2 files, which can be found in sub-folders within your Tribes2 folder, are nothing more than renamed zip files. Copy a vl2 file and paste it on your desktop. Rename it .zip and unzip it. Feel free to muck about to your hearts content. : )

Happy Modding!
-Abstract
(killmachine/dischord81/atlas)

Experienced modders: Please post modding tips below!

Comments

• It should also be noted that people may need to change some settings to be able to rename the vl2 files.

Control Panel(Tools)/Folder Options/View and uncheck Hide File Extensions For Known File Types

That should let you actually see the extension in order to change them.
  • Extracting files from scripts.vl2 is probably where you want to start out at. It contains all the scripts you can change for modding.
  • Thanks for covering that Darkness, and great tip Eolk! You guys rock!
  • Why rename the vl2 files when you can just have your zip/rar program open them by default, I use winrar. I double click on the vl2 file and it auto opens with winrar. I can then edit the file directly inside the vl2 file and save it on the fly.

Just a suggestion ;)
  • Why rename the vl2 files when you can just have your zip/rar program open them by default, I use winrar. I double click on the vl2 file and it auto opens with winrar. I can then edit the file directly inside the vl2 file and save it on the fly.

Just a suggestion ;)

Way to school the noobs threatcon : )

Just a suggestion ;)
    It's better to just extract rather than VL2 because...
    1. It's easier to edit. ZIP'd files sometimes have restrictions on them.
    2. You can retain the old copy in base.
    3. I use SVN. You can't sync up Zipped files and apply attributes.
  • We were all n00bs at some point ;)
  • Who among you has the most modding experience? That includes scripting and skinning.
  • Skinning does not equal modding. Skinning and modding are two entirely different skills.

Skinning requires artistic talent

Modding requires coding talent and a knowledge of game balance (to make a good mod, anyways)
  • Although you can apply artwork to regular modding, organization doesn't count, but your ideas that come alive because of your ability to code them into being, like painting, watching your paintings come to life with the graceful strokes of a brush, what if that brush was a keyboard, and that canvas a script on your Easel(sp?) known as your computer?
  • Skinning does not equal modding. Skinning and modding are two entirely different skills.

Skinning requires artistic talent

Modding requires coding talent and a knowledge of game balance (to make a good mod, anyways)

I include skinning because mods typically have custom skins accompanying them, and/or custom maps. Although, I would include skinning as a part of modding simply because a mod is a collection of game modifications, this includes after market game engine, graphical, informative, control, etc. alterations. In any case, is there any one among us particularly suited at writing a modding for beginners?