Tribes 2 rising from the ashes (The Phoenix Project)

124»

Comments

• Well, do y'all even play anymore?
  • Porting to Torque3D is... not something that could be done easily or in a short time, and would likely be more a lot more trouble than it's worth, to say the least. The effort you'd have to expend would be a far cry from what you could justifiably call an update for the game. There comes a point when you go down that path where you might as well be developing an entirely new game, on a new engine, with new assets.

While that would be challenging, it certainly isn't impossible. Porting assets could be done pretty much straight to T3D (it still uses .dts as the main format) however any modeler with time could re-do it and provide new animations to take advantage of the FP/TP system added in T3D 1.2.

T3D 1.2 adds a good deal of FPS features we enjoy already in Tribes, and for our advantage, even names them similarly. There are also no more projectile types in T3D, however that's an easy project to anyone with a bit of C++ knowledge and some time to work that out.

Don't forget that you also have access to the very large database of resources made by the GG community for all of the Torque engines (porting from TGEA -> T3D isn't that difficult, and TGE - > TGEA is pretty much given), most of the old codebases are still intact, a great deal of resources exist already to bring back key T2 features.

The biggest hurdle to porting to T3D would be adding some of T2's "less known" systems such as the command circuit, which is the reason we can't simply port to TGE anyways, it's proprietary code owned by Sierra, one would just invent their own systems if they so needed to do this.

The fact that the C++ source code the T3D is readily available to anyone who wants to mess with it should be enough motivation to put together a T2 revival project using T3D, even if it doesn't get anywhere anytime soon, you'd at least show that there is still interest in Tribes 2, I'll have to think about this one a bit since I have some open time coming in the next few months.
  • The fact that the C++ source code the T3D is readily available to anyone who wants to mess with it should be enough motivation to put together a T2 revival project using T3D, even if it doesn't get anywhere anytime soon, you'd at least show that there is still interest in Tribes 2, I'll have to think about this one a bit since I have some open time coming in the next few months.

I've looked at the source code (on GitHub) and got it running from they're instructions. Looks like there isn't a built in implementation of infinite terrain. Jetpacks look straight-forward (hell, google how to do it and you will find a shit ton of people wanting it, and the way to do it). The skiing system though may be a tough one to tackle...
  • Looks like there isn't a built in implementation of infinite terrain.

That was something I forgot to mention in my list of stuff to reimplement.
    Jetpacks look straight-forward (hell, google how to do it and you will find a shit ton of people wanting it, and the way to do it).

I once wrote up the mathematics to implement a Tribes-like jet pack somewhere. I don't really remember where I put it but if I really needed to, I can just redo it.
    The skiing system though may be a tough one to tackle...

Skiing on Tribes 2 was just kinda the result of a slight bug in the jumping which was still present in just the bare TGE as well. It doesn't seem like they have done much with the player logic since so it might still be present in T3D. All it took was a fast velocity, a downhill slope and no limitations on how many times you can jump per second and such.
  • The fact that the C++ source code the T3D is readily available to anyone who wants to mess with it should be enough motivation to put together a T2 revival project using T3D, even if it doesn't get anywhere anytime soon, you'd at least show that there is still interest in Tribes 2, I'll have to think about this one a bit since I have some open time coming in the next few months.

I've looked at the source code (on GitHub) and got it running from they're instructions. Looks like there isn't a built in implementation of infinite terrain. Jetpacks look straight-forward (hell, google how to do it and you will find a shit ton of people wanting it, and the way to do it). The skiing system though may be a tough one to tackle...

Infinite terrains can be easily re-introduced if you have a copy of TGE/TGEA lying around, just copy over the ATLAS code and that'll get it working. Jetpack resources are largely available (as well as many other T2 stuff as I mentioned) on the GG forums, just pick through what you need and implement it. And yes, Skiing is still in the engine, I've done it on a T3D project of mine using a Katabatic re-do map, same concepts apply.
  • Well, that is what I am going to name it. We need to find a way to let people know that this game is still alive. We need to do whatever we can to draw new players into the game. We need to do whatever it takes to help this game rise to new heights again. That means making videos and getting them out there on you-tube and other locations. We need to advertise we need to be posting on twitter and face-book and what ever other places you can think of. We need to create a tribes-next face-book page. We need to find out what are the talents of the players we do have and use it. Making wallpaper, Videos, Training videos, or whatever else you all can think of. Maybe even gets some competitions going on. Its not good having only one server that is filled with players we should have many to choose from. We need to let everyone know this game is free to download and is one hell of a fun game to play. If we don't start doing something soon this game is going to be a dead duck.

Just my 2 cents

I can add some links to CycloneGaming.com for you guys i also am a big tribes fan
  • edited March 2014
    While I have a belief that the community is competent enough to recreate Tribes 2 on Torque 3D, a few problems lie in the way:
    • Tribes 2's modding capabilities made it loved by many people - removing this in ANY way would likely deteriorate the number of players for the T3D build of Tribes 2 / Phoenix Project and is unwise to do.
    • Any player who would wish to play a game a such would play one that could have modern day 3D graphical models. If it can't compete with Tribes: Ascend, then whether or not the game would continue after two weeks after release would be a no-brainer.
    • Many people on this site would have to be devoted to the development of this game. While I have faith in many people on this site, there will be a few stragglers who will quit early because they don't wish to work for the outcome or have no compensation for their work. Some scenarios will arise where people would wish to continue developing on this project but might be forced into leaving earlier for outside jobs / life. Thyth is an extremely capable programmer, but the fact that even he was planning to push the new patch with the browser, T-Mail and Tribe panel and didn't shows the lack in enthusiasm he had later on in the project; I don't blame him either
    • Account and Password security... this my concern about the project. If you do not use any form of identification, then anyone can use anyone else's name; it would have to have an account system and that coding would have to be entrusted to someone with a good reputation and who would know not to take these files and place them in any repositories or places that the public eye could view uncompiled code that could lead to serious risk in account theft due to exploitation.
    • Frankly, what we have: it ain't broke. Fixing what isn't broken is a waste of time and effort.
  • edited April 2014
    Howdy all. I would like to see this game came back alive. I have the original Disc passed on form my brother who got me playing tribes 2 a while ago. I have pulled a few guys in to start playing and see what they think about the game. I think this is the best game of all times! you need skill to play and even with a 300ping or so you can still kick butt in the game and have fun. I live in south africa and am trying to get more people to play this game.
  • Howdy all. I would like to see this game came back alive. I have the original Disc passed on form my brother who got me playing tribes 2 a while ago. I have pulled a few guys in to start playing and see what they think about the game. I think this is the best game of all times! you need skill to play and even with a 300ping or so you can still kick butt in the game and have fun. I live in south africa and am trying to get more people to play this game.
    That's awesome dude! :D Good work!

-rJay

aka Superimposed, rJay_, But why, Cetirizine, etc, etc