Tribes Ascend

Hey guys,

I recently downloaded TA and really enjoy playing, but every time I play I'll only be able to play for 15-20 minutes before the game crashes on me. Any advice on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Silent

Comments

• I am betting a heat issue, the game is hell on vid cards.

As to the game itself;
    There are things that have actually made me think about uninstalling.
    Throwing knives. (throwing knives? Really? In tribes?)
    Aimbots. (everywhere)
    Orbital strikes.
    A vast multitude of one hit kill weapons to include the disk launcher and the mealy weapon.
    Spawn timer.
    Map change time.
    Not just one cg to spam with but a plethora of spammy rifles.
    Heavies that move as fast as lights.

etc ad nauseum

I play sniper mostly since skiing and grabbing and disking and thumping and cg/ass rifle is effortless and sniping seems to piss people off and since it takes 4 close-range full power sniper headshots to kill anyone it also take the most effort.

All that makes me think about deleting it, but the artwork is nevertheless wonderfull.

As to the game itself;
    Aimbots. (everywhere)
    Orbital strikes.
    A vast multitude of one hit kill weapons to include the disk launcher and the mealy weapon.
    Spawn timer.
    Map change time.

etc ad nauseum

I play sniper mostly since skiing and grabbing and disking and thumping and cg/ass rifle is effortless and sniping seems to piss people off and since it takes 4 close-range full power sniper headshots to kill anyone it also take the most effort.

All that makes me think about deleting it, but the artwork is nevertheless wonderfull.
    Some of that isn't true;

1. Throwing Knives are fine. It's your opinion they are bad. Of course, this could be because I have the Throwing Knives and have upgraded them to the max.

2. The aimbot that is most popular is unfortunately practiced by some, although up to now, HiRez has done a good job of removing the players that are reported to be exploiting them. The one I've seen the most of (which does NOT mean a LOT, I've just seen it 3 or 4 times) is a sniper one where when it snaps to you and hits you, you fly back at around 950,000 kph. The other, which is packaged in that same hack is unlimited Melee attacks that repeats as you hold down your Melee key at around 60 per second. Just report the abuser, and they, up to now, have been being banned by HiRez.

3. The Call-Ins actually are a good addition to the game, and the credits system is remarkable.

4. The only one-hit kill weapons I know is the Brute Class 'fusor, which is orange in color, and will kill a LIGHT armored warrior in one hit. The Melee (took me a minute to figure out what a mealy weapon was) from one light to another doesn't kill in one hit, but the Melee from a Heavy to a light will kill in one, yes.

5. The spawn timer isn't a bad thing, and if you recall, Tribes 2 had a timer on Base Tribes 2, and if you killed yourself, it was longer. Here, it's all the same for any reason, excepting the Sentinel Class, which was extended to 9 seconds rather than 3 in the closed beta because snipers were way OP.

6. The map change time has been longer lately, except when I got on day before yesterday, it was back to what it was last year, which I like. Yeah, it's 40 seconds. I personally enjoy being able to actually read the stats of the game before it skips to the next map like in Tribes 2.

7. The automatic rifles bring a feel of realness to the game that players can relate to.

8. The heavies don't move as fast as lights anymore than they do in Tribes 2. Believe me, I've grabbed the flag in Tribes 2 doing 300+ in heavy.

9. That is absolutely not true about sniping. I make headshot kills on lights all the time. Maybe you haven't upgraded that class much, but I have the best rifle and it's upgraded to the max.

Overall, my response isn't against you personally, Blak. :) I'm simply arguing the case for each case you mentioned in defence of a game that I love and play. >shrugs< I just wanted to argue the pros to everything you mentioned.

Peace,

rJay
  • Right, I must be completely mistaken about what I've seen.
  • I tried and tried but never was able to truly embrace COD:TA. Oh well.
  • I agree with a little bit of both what rJay and Blak are saying. There are better parts to it than T2, but at the same time there are some parts that leave me scratching my head a little bit.

On a different note, are there any other games similar to T2 that either of you would recommend? Since I was just recently banned for life from SCP I need something else to play. Lol.

Thanks guys,
    Silent
  • Hey guys,

I recently downloaded TA and really enjoy playing, but every time I play I'll only be able to play for 15-20 minutes before the game crashes on me. Any advice on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks,
    Silent

It is kills my power supply when just hanging in the lobby area, it just overheats it seems and not sure if it has internal breaker, have to unplug it and replug it in.

In game it is fine and does not cause the issue, as not sure what is causing it trip the circuit, in the lobby, has not happened once in game play, just the lobby...weird?
  • Oh how I wish that T2 had upgreaded visuals like TA.

For me the graphics difference is the only thing better in TA than T2.

I tried very hard to get into TA, but compared to T@ it just seems like Unreal with T2 skins.
  • Oh how I wish that T2 had upgreaded visuals like TA.

For me the graphics difference is the only thing better in TA than T2.

I tried very hard to get into TA, but compared to T@ it just seems like Unreal with T2 skins.

I agree, like the intentionally ruined it, one could suspect in theory.

Graphics, I thought at first was better, though really think in some ways T2 textures are.

Main thing is shortcomings, with like of the same community browser offering of T2 had, with forums, irc, clan management, that depreciated the social aspects there.

Though, no team damage seems to be a major shortcoming... as really, no team damage?

I emailed them and asked to help on universe and/or how much they want for it, if they are interested in selling it.

Almost wondering if they are getting paid to suppress it somehow, and not just drive more players to their global agenda and smite.

The pure, 32 player server limit vs. 64 player capacity of T2, is just one more indicator of downgrading game play, as the unreal engine would tend to think, will be able to handle 64 or more, eventually...maybe just wishful thinking.

Now the server intermission on game load is 5 minutes or more and if you go to their website, it auto-redirects to their legal terms of use.

As presume they have got some refund request or maybe some wanting to cash in their gold and check out, lol.

Anyways, shame to see a good game, get good ratings as it did when released,..knowing how far it is from hitting the mark and being what it could and can be, with the right team of developers and community!

As to the game itself;
    Aimbots. (everywhere)
    Orbital strikes.
    Spawn timer.
    Map change time.

etc ad nauseum

Noticed some servers have 0 spawn time, so server host, can change it, it seems. Discoparty and/or Free Shrikes are maybe a couple of them, that have it set.

Not sure what the options are for the hosting settings and have not purchased in gold to rent one, as there are plenty not in use now, as it is and not one of them have team damage on, and that is the setting that I would like on the most, then free tanks and vehicles of course, as charging to get a vehicle, is a bit lame imho.

Noticed a setting yesterday, on turrets and sensors, on raindance map I think it is, that does not have generator...the turret power down automatically if your team is up a cap on the score and in the lead...

Still recruiting members for a star vs rd match, if anyone is interested in joining, get the [STAR] tag in the store.
  • Not having td on is one of the few saving graces of ta.
  • I tried and tried but never was able to truly embrace COD:TA. Oh well.
    Can't stop laughing at this... lol. 100% on the money.
  • Not having td on is one of the few saving graces of ta.
    I hope you are not serious, as it makes it such a lame game, without Tking possible...
    be one thing if weapons had some built in feature, that maybe fractals did not injure team, due to body Armour having ray bouncer or deflector, or mortar goo splash is chemical and does the suit has a blocker....some gas/smoke bomb that does not harm friendlys that have vaccine or gas suit or mask on...etc

though disc to the head or sniper shot, etc, should be same damage, not matter what team, as no team damage is by far my biggest peeve, as it feels so fake and not real, as how can you explain it logically and gives a false sense of play.

Turrets only having plasma, is bogus as well, of course, though only plasma and not able to change them out, is just one more of the downgraded items.

Thyth mentioned they ruined the game, when I first mentioned playing it, and at first was like, not seeing his point, though after about a week, was like, ok now I am starting to see it, and now after a few months, it is even more clear..
  • I think td is retarded in fps games unless they're combat sims like cs, the various doodys, bf, etc, not fantasy fps like q3 or tribes.
  • I think td is retarded in fps games unless they're combat sims like cs, the various doodys, bf, etc, not fantasy fps like q3 or tribes.
    Yeah, TD should stay out for the sake of Rabbit and CTF.
  • Well, I personally prefer it on, so the game does not feel like a fantasy land game and has more reality aspects to it.
    If mines auto beacon to keep teams from running over them and points deducted for team injury, I would be pleased.
    Server setting option and for those who enjoy it more!
  • You mean there isn't one? O_O That means Ive been too careful with my aiming. =P
  • You mean there isn't one? O_O That means Ive been too careful with my aiming. =P

yea, only can frag yourself...not your team...now if that is not fantasy land and unreal, all in one :S