Tribes Machinima Poking Around and Stuff prelim Thread

edited December 2014 in General Discussion
Currently switching between Vengeance tribes two and see which will get me to a useable state faster. This is mostly because my personal hardware is from 06, not that great, and Iwant to do what I can alone since I'm pretty used to 'eh cool idea bro' and nothing. Plus schedualling anything is a headache so I want to do what I can solo.

The help I'd gotten in the past week from reddit, tribes revengeance, t2forums. And here has been rather nice given what I'm after are games that're ten and fifteen years old and I'm a complete nobody.

I do not know if this will go anywhere since it's just me poking around now that I finally have tools to do a thing I'd wanted since I first saw Red Vs Blue. So I'm open minded on if anyone has any story ideas, setting and other stuff they want to toss at my head.

Basically I want to know that there's going to be people that might have interest if I can actually make something before I start with the heavy lifting bits, since otherwise why flipping bother?

Ideas I have:
If I roll with tribes 2 I'd probably go with a simple 'three guys stuck on katabatic flag range hiding after bioderm's wiped their units out' premise and play off of their differences as I stall for time to come up with a wider story to fit them in. Each would be from a diff tribe and would bring different bits to the table. Would expand and do different maps depending on what's avalible, which is kinda why I've been looking for lwt mission 3 since it is huge and detailed.

The other problem is the lack of 'clutter' on bases, stuff that makes worlds feel lived in and useful for more than random games.

On the plus side basic mapping is pretty easy. Alt-e and go nuts. Alt-e again then shoot what I want.

Lastly while bot's and scripting could help with the warm body problem there just aren't that many animations (hell the models don't even have a neutral 'not holding a gun' pose) and scripting itself being a nightmare on top of most people who were good at it having moved on or forgotten how.

If, instead, I go with Tribes Vengeance it has an advantage in already having a free floating demo can so I can do a lot as is, but it's map editor is a complete brainfuck to the point while you can in theory do nice clutter/world filling objects that make set pieces feel lived in I don't know how to add them and attempts at following tutorials leave me feeling like a moron for not getting it.

The scripting however is mindblowing if the in game cutscenes were made by the tools we have. so while a majority of events would be done with freevam and demo footage key moments might have scripted events, or background characters looping sequences to fill scenes out.

Nutty idea I had was to see how hard porting the tribes 2 models (since the 3dmax files exist) to vengeance and having my above story idea work with the more capable engine, but that is... /SO/ far above my skill level. Bonus points if the t2 maps could be ported without building from scratch so there's more than just katabatic.

If tribes 2 assets couldn't be ported considered the idea of a blood eagle/phoenix odd couple type situation where their cohabitation is either imperial entertainment, or the two not killing each other would secure land rights for their tribes or something nutty like that. Advantage of going with comedy is the absurde can simply be run with. Plus given cannon material it isn't that far fetched Imperials would do something as shitty as tribal reality TV for shits and or giggles.

This is another reason I wanted to rip Aerial Assault's assets, more potentially useful stuff.

Comments

• T2 needs spirit animals. And a race track for mpbs.
  • I'd rather gravcycle races because mpbs are slow as hell.

Poking around on t2forums for stuff like animations. If that can get answered will look into how to add animated models in.
  • They are slow. but not if they are flying (Construction Reference).
  • The TAC MPBs aren't slow. I say an MPB race mod is possible.
  • The TAC MPBs aren't slow. I say an MPB race mod is possible.

TAC2's MPBs are obscenely lackluster. The only reason you can go at any reasonable speed is gravity. The MPB itself has so little oomph that it slows to 14kph on a VERY minor incline. And if you happen to hit a terrain stitch you can kiss your momentum goodbye. A couple of us have been trying for a while to get the MPB 'fixed' so that it can actually climb inclines greater than 25°.

It's possible elsewhere, but the physics are terrible. Tanks or grav cycles are better options.
  • It's possible elsewhere, but the physics are terrible. Tanks or grav cycles are better options.

The wheeled physics has the chance to randomly generate so much rotational force that the MPB tunnels through the terrain instantaneously.
  • tanks and grav cycles have a greater chance of taking damage depending on the angle and if it on flat land or if they get launched in the air. Just like everything else since T2's engine is so old things break a lot easier with computers being faster and have the ability to process faster. Sure the game looks good with higher FPS, but you would be lucky if the this lasts long enough before it UE or crashes entirely (some instances will crash depending on computer and customizations to the client).

Other than the few things that could go wrong, why not change some of the script files and create an entirely new veh, a mix between the MPB and tank. The Speed of the tank and the Stability of the MPB (For the most part anyway).
  • tanks and grav cycles have a greater chance of taking damage depending on the angle and if it on flat land or if they get launched in the air.

You can adjust the simulation parameters in the datablock to compensate for all this and you could have some scripting elements involved as well.
    Just like everything else since T2's engine is so old things break a lot easier with computers being faster and have the ability to process faster. Sure the game looks good with higher FPS, but you would be lucky if the this lasts long enough before it UE or crashes entirely (some instances will crash depending on computer and customizations to the client).

Untrue. You do have old games that were written for processors to be running at X MHz speeds where the time stepping is wholly dependent upon how fast the system can process the main loop but those were restricted to older consoles like the Nintendo 64. Your sources of instabilities are going to derive from elsewhere, such as simply running a newer operating system or just downright having a heavily bugged codebase, as is mostly the case with Tribes 2.
    echo(1 % 0); // Infinite Loop
    new ScriptObject(){ class = "A"; superclass = "A"; }; // Freeze
    echo((~10) + 1); // Some stupidly large floating point number, produces something like 8.34589034e+10
    exec("some/very/large/file.cs"); // Buffer overflow; exec() only works correctly up to a given file size threshold

$Conn = new TCPObject();
    $Conn.connect("someinvalidplace.whatever:4463"); // Can crash because of some stupid memory management faults

I run my Tribes 2 instance on a box that runs an AMD FX-6100 (Tri-core processor, 2 hyper threads) all underneath of WINE with the clock speeds maxed out (~3GHz) and it behaves no different than when I let the kernel dynamically adjust the clock speed or if I force minimum speeds (something like ~1.6GHz). Seems to be about as stable as when I ran it on that Windows XP box that was running a single core Celeron ~2GHz.
    Other than the few things that could go wrong, why not change some of the script files and create an entirely new veh, a mix between the MPB and tank. The Speed of the tank and the Stability of the MPB (For the most part anyway).

The first step would be to decide what type of vehicle it'll be: Wheeled or Hover, because it can't be both.
  • it is going to be hover, but it will not flip or jump out as easily, like getting the weight of the veh to be a bit heavier with a bit more thrust