tribes 2 shifter...too little too late...i wanna play ;(

edited November 2015 in General Discussion
Hello,

So back in the day, I played the hell out of tribes 1 with the shifter mod back when there were still at least 10 full shifter servers all day long. Then I kinda quit playing when t2 came out because it was too much like base t1, and it wasn't modded yet like t1. Little did I know that the shifter mod guys went to town and modded the hell out of tribes 2 after i left. But I just found this out this weekend!!! ;( cie la vie...

Just wanted to tell the universe, sierra, and the shifter guys---thanks for a great teenage experience!!! (even if i never experienced t2 shifter--i hear t1 shifter was better anyway).

But anyway I installed t2, the shifter client, and then went to the only server in t2 playing shifter, but it was full of bots only ;( Moreover, it didn't seem like shifter mod was working and the server instead seemed to be running the basic game or maybe classic? Not sure. No arbitor, or other classes, just scout, assault, juggernaut--limited weapons, no special touch or other unique abilities--no airbase, no flight pack, no emplacement--oh and skiing jetting was slow as hell, even with a scout. The server says its running shifter and even gives the shiftermod.com website link to download the client. But no joy...

1.Anyone know what I did wrong? probably silly to ask about such a zombified corpse as the tribes games...

2. would it be possible to host an undedicated server myself just to play around and see what I missed?

3. Anyone out there also remember this game and know what I should be looking to play now instead of trying to play frankenstien with this obviously dead, but beloved corpse of a game?

Also, I just played tribes:Ascension for the first time like 2 weeks ago. It's by far the prettiest, best skiing experience, fastest tribes i ever played--skiing that fast as a jugger was bad ass!!!! But the maps are too few, the bases are too soft and easily destroyable (not that you really need one anyway just suicide into your favorite gear), the class/weapons limitations suck, bases defenses are weak, and there is no real engineer class so a single base defender trying to make a real base can't do it. fun to TDM with that tribes:ascend but CTF sucks. (PS. I hear they rereleased it so they could run a new test server to mod the game and change the class and weapon system--just FYI).

I'M TELLING YOU HIGH-REZ, port shifter into T:A (maybe ultra renegades too) and the community will return!!!!

4. Or, I'm looking for the old Tribes 1 shifter mod experience, and would play anything to get it. Hell I'd pay big bucks for such a game. Anybody know of such a thing, or am I SOL?

Comments

• Hello,

So back in the day, I played the hell out of tribes 1 with the shifter mod back when there were still at least 10 full shifter servers all day long. Then I kinda quit playing when t2 came out because it was too much like base t1, and it wasn't modded yet like t1. Little did I know that the shifter mod guys went to town and modded the hell out of tribes 2 after i left. But I just found this out this weekend!!! ;( cie la vie...

Just wanted to tell the universe, sierra, and the shifter guys---thanks for a great teenage experience!!! (even if i never experienced t2 shifter--i hear t1 shifter was better anyway).

But anyway I installed t2, the shifter client, and then went to the only server in t2 playing shifter, but it was full of bots only ;( Moreover, it didn't seem like shifter mod was working and the server instead seemed to be running the basic game or maybe classic? Not sure. No arbitor, or other classes, just scout, assault, juggernaut--limited weapons, no special touch or other unique abilities--no airbase, no flight pack, no emplacement--oh and skiing jetting was slow as hell, even with a scout. The server says its running shifter and even gives the shiftermod.com website link to download the client. But no joy...

1.Anyone know what I did wrong? probably silly to ask about such a zombified corpse as the tribes games...

2. would it be possible to host an undedicated server myself just to play around and see what I missed?

3. Anyone out there also remember this game and know what I should be looking to play now instead of trying to play frankenstien with this obviously dead, but beloved corpse of a game?

Also, I just played tribes:Ascension for the first time like 2 weeks ago. It's by far the prettiest, best skiing experience, fastest tribes i ever played--skiing that fast as a jugger was bad ass!!!! But the maps are too few, the bases are too soft and easily destroyable (not that you really need one anyway just suicide into your favorite gear), the class/weapons limitations suck, bases defenses are weak, and there is no real engineer class so a single base defender trying to make a real base can't do it. fun to TDM with that tribes:ascend but CTF sucks. (PS. I hear they rereleased it so they could run a new test server to mod the game and change the class and weapon system--just FYI).

I'M TELLING YOU HIGH-REZ, port shifter into T:A (maybe ultra renegades too) and the community will return!!!!

4. Or, I'm looking for the old Tribes 1 shifter mod experience, and would play anything to get it. Hell I'd pay big bucks for such a game. Anybody know of such a thing, or am I SOL?
    I mean... I've never successfully played Shifter mod. I haven't found a server that worked and could never successfully get a LAN up and running. :( It looked really fun though. I'm not an old-school player, though.
  • Hey, I saw you in snap crackle pub last night. Was fun to poke around, but wasn't really thrilled with it. Seemed very much like a t1 base rehash--updated textures but little else. Couldn't really even see how it mods classic, guess i'll have to read specs to see what it was that's different.

Still haven't found something that make skiing fun, rewarding, and as challenging as t1 shifter. Still too slow in SCP, and too easy (little skill necessary) in T:A (but really fun).

Good to know you've tried and had troubles with shifter. I tried unsuccessfully yesterday for a couple hours--let you know if im successful at setting something up. The shiftermod.com website has a ton of broken links and the forum is completely broken, so there doesn't seem to be any shifter experts to contact.

there is a retroverse australian server that says its running shifter on CTF maps with 16 bots, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing that--maybe classic.

If i am successful at getting it running ill post again.
  • Hey, I saw you in snap crackle pub last night. Was fun to poke around, but wasn't really thrilled with it. Seemed very much like a t1 base rehash--updated textures but little else. Couldn't really even see how it mods classic, guess i'll have to read specs to see what it was that's different.

Still haven't found something that make skiing fun, rewarding, and as challenging as t1 shifter. Still too slow in SCP, and too easy (little skill necessary) in T:A (but really fun).

Good to know you've tried and had troubles with shifter. I tried unsuccessfully yesterday for a couple hours--let you know if im successful at setting something up. The shiftermod.com website has a ton of broken links and the forum is completely broken, so there doesn't seem to be any shifter experts to contact.

there is a retroverse australian server that says its running shifter on CTF maps with 16 bots, but it doesn't seem to actually be doing that--maybe classic.

If i am successful at getting it running ill post again.
    Thank you. Please do let me know.
  • Heya,

I was successful at getting the files to run a dedicated shifter server. Played last night online!! with 12 bots;) made some videos (was thinking of posting to youtube to try and generate interest) of the deployables--emplacement (inventory station, 4 walls, roof, sensor), airbase (same thing but hovering high in the sky), and vehicle pads. Extra gennies, laser turrets, repair and shield generators that have moderate aoe repair and shield abilities (but they wear out over time), even flare launchers that protect your allies from missile locks.

But the classes are bad ass too! Juggernaut loaded with god-hammer module or a tactical nuke launcher or a laser cannon--badass. Mercenaries that can use beacons as fuel to launch themselves across the map. Arbitors that have deadly weaponry but require energy to fire, engineers can hack enemy turrets or inventory stations to own them--9 classes i think and all have unique skills and abilities.

Oh and accelerator pads and teleport pads:) and laser mines that wear out after 15 secs but do full charged laser shots to the head first(heavy class only i think).

I don't have a second computer up and running yet that I can use to leave the server up running 24/7. But I have one in storage i can pull out. Try and get it running up soon.

Its called Soap's Shifter.

Note, you'll need the clientsidepack.v12 i think its called--from the shiftermod.com website. Most of the links are busted on the site, and the forum is lost, but the clientpack is still there. If you have troubles getting shifter to work, do a clear install of the two files here on tribesnext.com and then run the clientpack, it should work then. Took me 3-4 hours to get it working myself. Then I had to setup port forwarding--it's been a while.
  • Heya,

I was successful at getting the files to run a dedicated shifter server. Played last night online!! with 12 bots;) made some videos (was thinking of posting to youtube to try and generate interest) of the deployables--emplacement (inventory station, 4 walls, roof, sensor), airbase (same thing but hovering high in the sky), and vehicle pads. Extra gennies, laser turrets, repair and shield generators that have moderate aoe repair and shield abilities (but they wear out over time), even flare launchers that protect your allies from missile locks.

But the classes are bad ass too! Juggernaut loaded with god-hammer module or a tactical nuke launcher or a laser cannon--badass. Mercenaries that can use beacons as fuel to launch themselves across the map. Arbitors that have deadly weaponry but require energy to fire, engineers can hack enemy turrets or inventory stations to own them--9 classes i think and all have unique skills and abilities.

Oh and accelerator pads and teleport pads:) and laser mines that wear out after 15 secs but do full charged laser shots to the head first(heavy class only i think).

I don't have a second computer up and running yet that I can use to leave the server up running 24/7. But I have one in storage i can pull out. Try and get it running up soon.

Its called Soap's Shifter.

Note, you'll need the clientsidepack.v12 i think its called--from the shiftermod.com website. Most of the links are busted on the site, and the forum is lost, but the clientpack is still there. If you have troubles getting shifter to work, do a clear install of the two files here on tribesnext.com and then run the clientpack, it should work then. Took me 3-4 hours to get it working myself. Then I had to setup port forwarding--it's been a while.
    Thanks man. I'll be sure to look for it when I play tonight.