how to edit cs.dso files

Hey.
I was just trying to see if i could make some small changes to the base mod for fun..
i copied the base folder into a new folder called /testMod
i then tried to open the scripts/weapons/chaingun.cs.dso file to see if they could be edited..

they could not since all i was presented with was a bunch of jibberish. I tried to open in notepad and wordpad, in both there were a few words which could be read but the majority was un-readable heaps of signs.. so how does one go about editing them?

Comments

• *.cs.dso files are compiled scripts used in game. The actual, editable, script is just *.cs

Most likely you'll have to get the script from the .vl2 resource file, which is just a renamed .zip that you can open directly with WinRAR or similar. The chaingun.cs file you are looking for would be in ~/GameData/base/scripts.vl2[/scripts/weapons/chaingun.cs]
  • You won't be editing any dsos, grab the actual cs files the dsos are made from from scripts.vl2 as suggested above, and edit away. And remember to delete dsos when you edit scipts.
  • .cs.dso files are the compiled version of .cs files.

You have to edit the .cs, and then delete the corresponding .dso so it can be recompiled with the changes you made. (Compiling happens automatically when you start tribes)
  • .cs.dso files are the compiled version of .cs files.

You have to edit the .cs, and then delete the corresponding .dso so it can be recompiled with the changes you made. (Compiling happens automatically when you start tribes)

Alternately, and probably better, make a shortcut to Tribes2.exe with the -prepbuild switch. It will delete the existing .dso files and recompile all the scripts. Once it finishes, Tribes gives me an error saying I have to use the "shortcuts provided" to start it (meaning to actually play you need -online or -nologin). Just restart Tribes normally and it'll work.

Pretty sure there's a script out there that recompiles .cs files automatically on startup.
  • Uh....You could just edit the provided batch files that delete the DSOs and launch the game, when the game starts it compiles all that stuff, and there is a TAC mod script that places a recompile button in the launch menu for that...
  • Hi, I don't think you can edit dso files, I beleive they are an exact copy of .cs files on my server.
  • DSO files are compiled scripts of the .cs files for the game to use, there are in unicode and pretty impossible to edit.