How do you defend the generators?

Dear TribesNext community,

Can we please turn team damage off in the major CTF servers? It was a problem in Rebels, a problem that never went away because 99.9% of juggernauts have down-syndrome. Also, just outright remove mortar turret barrels from the list of barrels to choose from.

Sincerely,

AnarchyAo

Comments

• I prefer the satchel myself... Why isn't that a vote option? :p
  • First off, I defend a generator by doing my best to make sure no one gets near the base in the first place. I learned from experience that anyone attacking a generator is going to go crazy on the splash damage, effectively nullifying my ability to defend it. I only use mortars when there are no teammates around and/or am shooting at enemy assets.

Second, this is an issue you should be bringing up with individual server admins, not the entire community, as the admins are in charge of whether TD is enabled or not.

Don't generalize. I guarantee you that the percentage of heavies with Down is nowhere near 99.9%, indicating you are exaggerating out of a lack of conclusive evidence. As you are undoubtedly referring to the supposed existence of a 99th percentile of heavies that know what they're doing, I also guarantee you that there are many more than that who have a clue.
    I presume you had a bad run in with one or a handful of heavies that defended gens with mortars, and further presume this took place on a public server. Tough shit. Pubs are there for everyone, even if they miscalculate the amount of splash damage dealt by a mortar. If it's such an issue, take the offender off defense (without TKing), and if it is a constant (note the key word constant) issue, vote for a kick. What you should not do is come to a public forum and complain about it.

Mortar turret barrels certainly must have their uses, or else why would they have been included in the game in the first place, much less allowed to exist at the same time as TD. If someone on your team has placed a mortar barrel in a location likely to spam your team, replace it. Key word there is likely, as a turret far removed from home base, but still under friendly control, could benefit from splash-dealing ordinace.
  • Mortar turret barrels have uses, Pissing off teammates. :P

For some reason I get hit by them more than the enemy. Sometimes in mid air.
  • Yeah on Goon Haven there's one or two people with a major hardon for mortar turrets. On riverdance I got tked 6 times in one map by the fucking mortar turret from across the river. I replaced it twice but it was back to being a mortar turret within 5 minutes, so I gave up.
  • Bishes don't know about my blaster.
  • I like heavy/plama/shield for gen defense. And td is retarded.
  • lol that is some funny shit but I have seen this alot lately. but for real sheildpack plasma is good or if your getting over run a satchel will do the trick but not on a TD server you end up blowing up your own team to bits.
  • Mortar turret barrels have uses, Pissing off teammates. :P

For some reason I get hit by them more than the enemy. Sometimes in mid air.

I can second that reply!!! :(
  • If you turn of team damage mortar spam is unbearable.

Team damage is good for stopping spam. If you think chilling by your heavy guarding the gens is a good idea, you deserve to get TKed.
  • While I agree to an extent, if you did remove mortar's from the game then everyone would be flying around in scout armor.

Last night on Goon Haven, I was sat around the back of the enemy base, I could see one of our scouts going for the flag so I waiting, he took it and off he went, as he left their base I made my move - like 90% of the time, he died and the flag was returned with the bases defense still far away as they'd all been chasing him.

I timed my ski perfectly, I had some decent vertical speed and the flag was lined up straight and I started my descent which would land me straight onto the flag. 100% cap guarenteed here, no enemy, no turrets, decent speed. "Great", I hear you say?

Wrong, as I landed on the flag, so did one of my friends Mortars. I did get the flag but only for around 0.5 seconds before his mortar left my corpse in 100 pieces.

Yes, people can be retarded with Mortars. instead of mindless spamming they should actually pay attention to were they're shooting and who's around but they don't. That's Tribes2 for you, I wouldn't want it any other way. After I re-spawned I smiled, spammed the voice channel and went for the flag again.

I did not create a post on the forum asking why this happens. I'm pretty confident that the other 7 mortars he fired would have done plenty of damage to the enemy base.

Besides, I've probably upset the bloke with my shocklance at some point :D
  • ^^^ This is why it's important to call your grabs well in advance whenever possible. VFF.
  • ^^^ This is why it's important to call your grabs well in advance whenever possible. VFF.

VGH, VGW, VGS and VGB are the only commands I need to memorise. I play for the fun, memorising 101+ voice commands is not what I call fun :(
  • The mortar turret barrel is necessary because it keeps the slower enemy heavies out of your base. I will admit to changing the base turret to mortars more than once, but only when the defense necessitated it.

Remember if you get hit by a mortar, it takes you two seconds to respawn. If an enemy team member gets hit by one, he has to come all the way back across the map.
  • Mortar turret barrels certainly must have their uses, or else why would they have been included in the game in the first place, much less allowed to exist at the same time as TD.
    Please, don't ever use the argument "if it's pointless than why is it in the game?" or "it's part of the game so it must be ok!" or any other variant. You people put way too much faith in the developers. If Dynamix had any clue what they were doing, they'd never have made T2 base. When the Zs made classic, they didn't bother messing with the useless things because they assumed (hoped) no one would actually use them.
  • If you're going for the flag, call about 4 to 6 seconds before making the grab, because if someone was far away lobbing mortars that take that much time to impact the target area, you have to give some time for the last round to hit or you'll get caught right in it. Now the smooth cappers can time their run to be exacly after one round impacts and the arrival of the next round. I admire those guys.
  • I can't believe you guys are actually suggesting "calling out" when you go for a flag so the mortar lobbers stop their attack. The Goon server has at least 60 people in it on a regular basis, and I'm quite sure that bob48416 doesn't read the chat-box.

There's a reason why the big NGI Fun and other major 80+ player count servers at launch only used *certain* maps and always kept team damage off. Sure, team damage is great, but if you're pushing the bounds of the player size for many smaller maps, it's not feasible to keep it on.
  • I find it interesting the second option has no votes.
  • If I did my math right, there's a 13.4% chance of no one selecting #2 after nine votes.
  • *votes #2 just to spite the statistics majors*
  • I can't believe you guys are actually suggesting "calling out" when you go for a flag so the mortar lobbers stop their attack. The Goon server has at least 60 people in it on a regular basis, and I'm quite sure that bob48416 doesn't read the chat-box.

There's a reason why the big NGI Fun and other major 80+ player count servers at launch only used *certain* maps and always kept team damage off. Sure, team damage is great, but if you're pushing the bounds of the player size for many smaller maps, it's not feasible to keep it on.

llama
  • My issue for calling out a flag, which almost always is a cry of "I have the enemy flag!", is that... no.. you don't have the enemy flag. It is still safely at their base. I tend to ignore VFF calls if the flag hasn't yet been taken, possibly because I don't spam the enemy flag (I just go for it).
    On the flip side, if someone says "I'll go for the enemy flag" (which few people do), I infer it as "I'm at home but am loaded up and am going for the flag", as in, they're also not there yet.

Now, if we had a "hold your fire, I'm about to grab the flag" canned chat, by default, that would certainly change things. My opinion here is that the standing [VFF I have the enemy flag!] and [VSAF I'll go for the enemy flag.] canned chats don't really correspond to what's actually going on, and at least in my case, are likely to be ignored.
  • Guys I think this poll is rigged.
    :o
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=426.msg3936#msg3936 date=1233092946]
    Guys I think this poll is rigged.
    :o
    [/quote]
    Nah see the fourth pixel from the left in the "b" of "lob" in the third option is different. You just have to look carefully ;)
  • Yeah on Goon Haven there's one or two people with a major hardon for mortar turrets. On riverdance I got tked 6 times in one map by the fucking mortar turret from across the river. I replaced it twice but it was back to being a mortar turret within 5 minutes, so I gave up.

I think i might have been in that game. I kept getting TKed by the mortar turrets, so I decided to lay back and use the turrets from the CC, only to have you throw an AA barrel on moments later. I'd close the CC and get back out in the field only to get mortared again a few minutes later. Rinse, repeat. Still such a funny game after all these years.
  • Just use:
    VAA (attack) & VSAF (I'll get the enemy flag)

Then maybe a cease fire/watch where you're shooting and/or VFF when you are on approach. Everyone knows (or will learn) what that means.
  • VFF I have the enemy flag is commonly known to most that you are on your route to grab.

I dont know why you would say you have the flag when you already have it. When you grab it makes a noise and text shows up on everyones screen. "ReDEYE has taken the enemy flag" or "ReDEYE has taken our flag" or something like that. The flag deal at the bottom shows that you have the flag as well.

That is how I understand it. I know new people wont get that yet. But they will. Just takes time.

I am glad to get tked by a noob from my team actually, well maybe not glad, but at least there are new people playing!
  • VFF I have the enemy flag is commonly known to most that you are on your route to grab.

I dont know why you would say you have the flag when you already have it. When you grab it makes a noise and text shows up on everyones screen. "ReDEYE has taken the enemy flag" or "ReDEYE has taken our flag" or something like that. The flag deal at the bottom shows that you have the flag as well.

That is how I understand it. I know new people wont get that yet. But they will. Just takes time.

I am glad to get tked by a noob from my team actually, well maybe not glad, but at least there are new people playing!

your optimistic candor is disgusting.
  • What I find to be effective is going in with a Medium Armor, Shocklance, Plasma Rifle, Nade Launcher, And Either ELF or CG and patrol hallways with a shield pack. If the generators are near enough the Entrance(like on Katabatic) I find it nice to be able to regulate who is in our base at once. I normally try to stay out of juggarnaut paths and such, but I use the shield pack to help with random mortars base rapers are liable to fire as they race into the base.
  • ...Here's my opinion for what its worth.

-TD should be left on
    -Defend a generator by killing the other player trying to kill your gen, before they blow your gen. (whatever way necessary
    My issue for calling out a flag, which almost always is a cry of "I have the enemy flag!", is that... no.. you don't have the enemy flag. It is still safely at their base. I tend to ignore VFF calls if the flag hasn't yet been taken, possibly because I don't spam the enemy flag (I just go for it).

-You should stop ignoring voice commands besides vgt's, especially VFF. Nothing more annoying than calling that your about to grab the flag and someone else grabs it who didn't even ski first to get it.

-It's not hard at all to memorize the voice commands. vs(elf) vd(efend) va(ttack) etc... etc...
  • Muhahahaha, the third lob a mortar option is winning >:{}