How do you defend the generators?

2»

Comments

• ...Here's my opinion for what its worth.

-TD should be left on
    -Defend a generator by killing the other player trying to kill your gen, before they blow your gen. (whatever way necessary
    My issue for calling out a flag, which almost always is a cry of "I have the enemy flag!", is that... no.. you don't have the enemy flag. It is still safely at their base. I tend to ignore VFF calls if the flag hasn't yet been taken, possibly because I don't spam the enemy flag (I just go for it).

-You should stop ignoring voice commands besides vgt's, especially VFF. Nothing more annoying than calling that your about to grab the flag and someone else grabs it who didn't even ski first to get it.

-It's not hard at all to memorize the voice commands. vs(elf) vd(efend) va(ttack) etc... etc...

I'm with you on this one man.

On a more technical note, the placement of a dedicated farmer in the generator room is paramount to generator defense. One thing I keep in mind while farming is the turret's line of sight. In many maps you can get as many as 3 or 4 spider clamp turret's lines of sight converging at a time. This is sufficient alone to take out a heavy or two. Be sure to mount motion sensors, and don't forget to beacon your mines and use them intelligently.
  • VFF I have the enemy flag is commonly known to most that you are on your route to grab.

I dont know why you would say you have the flag when you already have it. When you grab it makes a noise and text shows up on everyones screen. "ReDEYE has taken the enemy flag" or "ReDEYE has taken our flag" or something like that. The flag deal at the bottom shows that you have the flag as well.

That is how I understand it. I know new people wont get that yet. But they will. Just takes time.

I am glad to get tked by a noob from my team actually, well maybe not glad, but at least there are new people playing!

your optimistic candor is disgusting.

haha what can I say. i havent played t2 in over 2 years. I am just thrilled to be playing again. that may wear off with some more mortar tks and having 28 peopleon my team with 25 of them HD on top of the katabatic base....rofl
  • Muhahahaha, the third lob a mortar option is winning >:{}
    Anyone else amused that we're ignoring the rant this thread started with and are now just rooting for one of five identical options? :P
    I see my lone vote for #2 stands...
  • Muhahahaha, the third lob a mortar option is winning >:{}
    Anyone else amused that we're ignoring the rant this thread started with and are now just rooting for one of five identical options? :P
    I see my lone vote for #2 stands...

Opton 2 or Option 4, either way you're lobbing a mortar.
  • VFF I have the enemy flag is commonly known to most that you are on your route to grab.

I dont know why you would say you have the flag when you already have it. When you grab it makes a noise and text shows up on everyones screen. "ReDEYE has taken the enemy flag" or "ReDEYE has taken our flag" or something like that. The flag deal at the bottom shows that you have the flag as well.

That is how I understand it. I know new people wont get that yet. But they will. Just takes time.

I am glad to get tked by a noob from my team actually, well maybe not glad, but at least there are new people playing!

your optimistic candor is disgusting.

haha what can I say. i havent played t2 in over 2 years. I am just thrilled to be playing again. that may wear off with some more mortar tks and having 28 peopleon my team with 25 of them HD on top of the katabatic base....rofl
    Addressing the root post, I (and probably many others) have a panamajack script that automatically announces my flag-carrying status, then yells HELP two seconds after. Regardless of if I'm still alive, even.
  • Everyone who voted for #4 is copying me.
  • Everyone who voted for #4 is copying me.
    Likewise, anyone that votes #2 is copying me.

That script from PJ's pack that automatically calls flag, with speed, is kinda nice. I wonder, is the speed it shows the speed you were going when you grabbed the flag, or at the moment it calls it? The latter would make more sense, I would think.
  • Turrets placed indoors are wasted. Most folks going for your indoor goods are in heavy or have a sheild. This means the turrets tickle pointlessly them until the attacker kills or makes inoperative that turret. Making them inoperative is worst of all since no one bothers to fix them yet they take up the allowable deployed list. Turrets are far more efective if placed for flag defense.
  • From what I've seen turrets guarding the flag are useless, considering that the enemy flag carrier is going to hit and run so fast that the turrets can't catch up.
  • ^^^ This is why it's important to call your grabs well in advance whenever possible. VFF.

VGH, VGW, VGS and VGB are the only commands I need to memorise. I play for the fun, memorising 101+ voice commands is not what I call fun :(

If you are going for the flag and don't use the voicebinds, it's your fault you caught a friendly mortar. This is a 64 slot pub server not everyone is a noob, you can have moments of excellent teamwork or mind boggling, hilarious chaos!

Accidents will happen; but... look I'll make it easy for any that are interested.

You don't need to memorize a thing other than; press V to initiate voicebines, then press V for very quick and C. That's...

V V C for cease fire! Then V for voicebines, F for FLAG options and....

V F F: I have the enemy Flag
    V F G: Give me the flag
    V F R: Retrieve our flag
    V F S: Our flag is Secure
    V F T: Take my flag
    V F O: Give me the flags
    V F P: Take my flags
  • "From what I've seen turrets guarding the flag are useless, considering that the enemy flag carrier is going to hit and run so fast that the turrets can't catch up."

I bag fast moving cappers all the time with turrets judiciously placed for flag defense, altthough it's almost, but not always, after they tripped one of my mines.
    The mines are far more effective, the turrets are an adjunct to flag defense so shouldn't be wasted indoors.
  • "From what I've seen turrets guarding the flag are useless, considering that the enemy flag carrier is going to hit and run so fast that the turrets can't catch up."

I bag fast moving cappers all the time with turrets judiciously placed for flag defense, altthough it's almost, but not always, after they tripped one of my mines.
    The mines are far more effective, the turrets are an adjunct to flag defense so shouldn't be wasted indoors.

pfft... Blow em to hell with a satchel. ;)

Any problem can be solved with a sufficient amount of High explosives!

I tend to be a "find what works a roll with the punches" kind of guy. Take Rollercoaster for instance. Sometimes people heavystand on the flag and it works great- if it doesn't try something else. Sometimes people dump turrets all over the flag and sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Same with the satchel, ELF turrets, etc, etc.

If I satchel the flag and it makes for a sufficient Defense, let it be. If someone else throws turrets up and it works, I don't try to fix what aint broken.
  • I satchel the flag only if there aren't already people on specific flag defense (like HoFs or people standing by) or turrets in the close area, so the detonation doesn't garner me any accidental TKs. I've done it on White Dwarf (think that's the one, green atmosphere and one base and bunker per side) and Archipelago since the flags are so in the open. Haven't done it on any of the others yet, though, since usually someone's on D.

Best thing about Tribes is that there really isn't one perfect strategy. You'll get different people on different maps and have to change up your plans now and then, and that's what makes it so [VGCA]!
  • I satchel the flag only if there aren't already people on specific flag defense (like HoFs or people standing by) or turrets in the close area, so the detonation doesn't garner me any accidental TKs. I've done it on White Dwarf (think that's the one, green atmosphere and one base and bunker per side) and Archipelago since the flags are so in the open. Haven't done it on any of the others yet, though, since usually someone's on D.

Best thing about Tribes is that there really isn't one perfect strategy. You'll get different people on different maps and have to change up your plans now and then, and that's what makes it so [VGCA]!

Oh for sure man! Although it does bug me when no one defends so I start using the satchel and 5 mins later some guy decides he is going to surround the flag with turrets. I inevitably blow up one turret (maybe the guy too, lol) and he goes all apeshit because I am satcheling the flag. /shrug

Best part is I usually just give up and do something else, then our flag gets capped over and over cause Mr Turret defense thinks he can toss them up and then go off O-sniping or something.
  • That's why I also don't deploy turrets on my own. Theoretically if you deploy a turret, you should be responsible for its upkeep.

I get a little alert that says if the flag has been mined. Same thing should happen for satchels. That'd be nice
  • edited January 2009
    I have seen a lot of satch guys pop it too late too often, the capper is already gone when he hits the button. But a good satch guy is welcome by me, even if he kills my turrets or me. I have also enjoyed satcheling team mates who were just about to cap. If you have had issues with a team mate, usualy an intolerable alpha hotel who is just about to cap, you can have some fun that way. T2 is all about fun!

Spawn position determines, for the most part, what I do next. Say in kata if I spawn in the tower, I go offense and try for the flag, or simply lob mortars all over their flag area from the tower doorway so they send 3 guys after me. That can be a lot of fun.
    But if I spawn near our flag, I set d. This involves turrets and mines, and when a capper comes by and pops mines or turrets, I set new ones each ane every time if I'm near the flag and not across the map. It's just a game, but I don't want them to get my flag easy if I can help it.