Newb Question: Capper? What the heck do these names mean?

I can infer that they are somewhat like assignments, like one person goes to get the flag, a few people follow him and defend him, some stay at the base and defend generators, flags, etc, but what are all these names and what do they mean? I don't really want to go online until I have a good jist of how things work. Thanks for helping the newb out.

Comments

• I can infer that they are somewhat like assignments, like one person goes to get the flag, a few people follow him and defend him, some stay at the base and defend generators, flags, etc, but what are all these names and what do they mean? I don't really want to go online until I have a good jist of how things work. Thanks for helping the newb out.

Angry: welcome.

A capper is someone whose role is primarily to capture the flag of the opposing team.

You may see others using similar abbreviations on this forum, just ask and we'll help out : )
  • A "cap" is a capture, so a "capper" is someone who caps.

Other names you might come across:

Farmer - someone who deploys spiderclamp/landspike turrets and sensors for defense (usually around the flag)
    HoF - heavy-on-flag
    HO - heavy offense
    LD - light defense
    etc.
  • Thanks guys! I get the names better now, their just abbrivations (sp).
  • Thanks guys! I get the names better now, their just abbrivations (sp).

You may also see rapists/rapers/base rapers(not to be confused with face rapers : ). They destroy the enemy base assets located within the base. Generators, inv stations, deployables and such.
  • Someone who's spamming is using splash damage-heavy ordinance to suppress a small area, usually the flag or entrance to the enemy base.

Cloakers are, well, cloaking. Watch for footprints or dust being kicked up, and fire something with splash that way to see if they get revealed.
  • Alright, so are there any servers that are more geared to new players? I know, considering this is an old game, that its following is going to be very skilled. I hear a lot about that goons server, but idk.
  • Alright, so are there any servers that are more geared to new players? I know, considering this is an old game, that its following is going to be very skilled. I hear a lot about that goons server, but idk.

Goons is a good place to get a feel for the epic scale of Tribes2. I would say just jump right in! I play on goon haven, ## { dggs } fast v2, and branzone. They are all very good. I believe they also have a server for those just getting started, if you log in, someone will shortly join you and give you some tips.
  • Cool, I'll have to look for that. Thanks for the help.
  • There is a "training" server in the list there somewhere, last I checked, but it's usually empty. Don't think any of us have taken the dedication of being a trainer there full-time yet.
    Goon Haven is a wonderful 64-man server that's usually the most populated (generally >40 players almost all the time), and I've noticed many newcomers tend to flock there. The downside to high population servers is that you can probably expect to die a lot.
  • edited January 2009
      Goons is a good server for beginners, just try to avoid picking up bad habits. There used to be some extensive lists along with a run-down on basic tactics. I'll look for one.
    Basics:
    • capper - Attempts to capture flag
    • chaser - Chases enemy flag carriers (usually the job of LD)
    • HoF - heavy-on-flag
    • HO - heavy offense
    • HD - heavy defense, esp. entrance/gen defense (not on flag)
    • LD - light defense
    • LO - light offense (somewhat debatable)
    • farmer/engineer - Deploys & repairs equipment, keeps the HoF supplied with repair kits (ctrl + q to toss a kit) and ammo.
    • cloaker - invisible bastard
    • o-snipe(r)(ing)/d-snipe(r)(ing) - offensive & defensive snipers respectively. o-sniping is frowned upon among newbs.
    • turtling - Hiding in a heavily defended area, ususally used when a flag capper switches to shielded heavy deep within his base during flag stand-offs.
    • llama - A player that does really annoying, newb-ish stuff.

Canned Chat Tips:
    • VVB "Incoming Bomber" - Either an actual bomber, or an incoming HO
  • edited January 2009
    You already know that Newb is short for Newbie, so we won't go into that.

Skiing - Holding down your ski button and jetting in intervals gives you speed

Scout - the light armor

Assault - Medium armor

Juggernaut - Heavy armor

vpad - vehicle pad

gens - generators

And as someone mentioned before, base rape = totalling the enemy base whether by mortar fire or sabotaging their defenses with heavy vehicles
  • Goons is a good server for beginners, just try to avoid picking up bad habits.
    Yes, learn classic mod because that's all anyone plays nowadays.
  • Hey a complimentary thread about my servers! ;D

Welcome, Angry. I also have a 32 man that you can join for the smaller scale (still working on building a playerbase for it).
    Goons is a good server for beginners, just try to avoid picking up bad habits.
    There used to be some extensive lists along with a run-down on basic tactics.

Here's my newb question: What makes my server a beginner server as compared to some of the others? Lack of TWL Map Pack? I'm trying to keep maps server-side as long as I can, but I honestly would like to know.