Noobish Question.

Can't believe Tribes is BACK!

First off I think I spent most of my time with Tribes 1. Are there any real important keys to gameplay that differ from Tribes 1 to Tribes 2?

Next, alot of the games I end up plying in have a enemy heavy wrecking havoc on our generators. I know the generators or very important. My question is this. If the generators goes down and all the inventory station go down how the heck can you repair you generators if no one can grab a repair kit? Are you just screwed?

late
e

Comments

• All maps (or at least, better be all maps) have repair packs somewhere in the open, either in the base or outside. Look for the red glow.
    Alternately, if someone had a remote invo up, you could get the pack from there.

Takes a bit of exploration to find the packs on certain base structures, but I'm certain there's always at least one on every map.
  • Takes a bit of exploration to find the packs on certain base structures, but I'm certain there's always at least one on every map.
    I might doubt the sanity of some maps though...
  • Well I know Sanctuary (the two castle-like bases with open flags) only has repair packs out in the DMZ terrain. Can't think of any others where it's in a really bad place.

For all the maps coming to mind (which admittedly isn't much right now), the packs are somewhere relatively close to the gens.
  • aww that helps a ton. now that i know what to look for!

also why do people not use the targeting laser more? it seems so useful for taking out targets that just sit in the hills and just rain the pain down.

also when using the cloak pack. do sensors pick you up or not?

late
    e
  • Targeting laser defaults to [L], so maybe it's just laziness that few people switch to it. Otherwise, I guess if someone spots a sniper in the hills they're a little more useful if they load up to go intercept instead of just painting it. As for why people don't target spammers or turrets or such, I guess it's partly because the laser gives away your position, doesn't do damage in/of itself, and (now someone else correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't give missile launchers something to lock onto (not alone).

I do like the idea of if you spot a sniper, and aren't equipped to counter-snipe, shine the laser in their eyes as a gesture of "yes, I see you, and I'll kick your ass if you don't run". Saw someone do that to me one night before they ran inside to gear up for counter-sniping.

I don't think pulse sensors (standard on bases) pick up cloakers, but deployed motion sensors (the little red and blue ones) will. Cloakers are visible by footprints (depends on texture, I guess), little dust clouds kicked up by footprints (most visible on ice maps), and if the cloaker a) runs out of energy to power the pack, b) shoots, or c) takes damage.
  • Targeting laser defaults to [L], so maybe it's just laziness that few people switch to it. Otherwise, I guess if someone spots a sniper in the hills they're a little more useful if they load up to go intercept instead of just painting it. As for why people don't target spammers or turrets or such, I guess it's partly because the laser gives away your position, doesn't do damage in/of itself, and (now someone else correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't give missile launchers something to lock onto (not alone).

I do like the idea of if you spot a sniper, and aren't equipped to counter-snipe, shine the laser in their eyes as a gesture of "yes, I see you, and I'll kick your ass if you don't run". Saw someone do that to me one night before they ran inside to gear up for counter-sniping.

I don't think pulse sensors (standard on bases) pick up cloakers, but deployed motion sensors (the little red and blue ones) will. Cloakers are visible by footprints (depends on texture, I guess), little dust clouds kicked up by footprints (most visible on ice maps), and if the cloaker a) runs out of energy to power the pack, b) shoots, or c) takes damage.

I'm going to go one step farther and say that anyone who is capable and just paints at anything(other than a legitimate target painting run) needs to step it up a notch and actually do something about it.
  • lol. yeah i can see that side off it! thanks for all you input!
  • You can lock onto the laser target with a missile.
  • The only thing that will see you when cloaked is a motion sensor, and motion sensors only work when you are moving. If you stand still you cannot be detected unless someone bumps into you or has a sensor jammer (which negates your cloaking field).
  • The sensor jammer pack is one of the most understimated tools. A tailgunner with one can effectively make a bomber invisible to missiles.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=431.msg4076#msg4076 date=1233160962]
    The sensor jammer pack is one of the most understimated tools. A tailgunner with one can effectively make a bomber invisible to missiles.
    [/quote]
    And that's why all TGs should be equipped with sensor jammers, or an ammo pack and have the bombardier get the sensor jammer (for passive effect?)
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=431.msg4076#msg4076 date=1233160962]
    The sensor jammer pack is one of the most understimated tools. A tailgunner with one can effectively make a bomber invisible to missiles.
    And that's why all TGs should be equipped with sensor jammers, or an ammo pack and have the bombardier get the sensor jammer (for passive effect?)
    [/quote]

Hand-held missiles can still fire at jammed targets. It only makes you invisible to turrets (unless deployable cameras detect you) and removes your IFF. Passive effect SJ doesn't contribute to the bomber.

Some tailgunners use ammo packs but I prefer they use SJ's. Good TG's use them to avoid shrikes from sweeping them on radar.
  • The only thing that will see you when cloaked is a motion sensor, and motion sensors only work when you are moving. If you stand still you cannot be detected unless someone bumps into you or has a sensor jammer (which negates your cloaking field).

You can see people sensor jamming with cameras in classic.

Also there is a way to not kick up dust when cloaking but I'll never tell. And no it does not involve hacks/scripts.
  • bunnyhop, tap the forwards key in the right rhythm, stop moving when people look towards you...

there's plenty of ways to cloak intelligently. Running right up to my face isn't one of them and I'm not cheating when I see you mr. "this is like tf2 in the future!"
  • bunnyhop, tap the forwards key in the right rhythm, stop moving when people look towards you...

there's plenty of ways to cloak intelligently. Running right up to my face isn't one of them and I'm not cheating when I see you mr. "this is like tf2 in the future!"

You make it sound so simple.
  • Well the really simple thing would be "don't move when someone's looking at you".

SSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!

SSSHHHHHHHAAAAAZZZBOTTTTTT!!!!!!
    FIIIIXEDDD
  • Yeah that's usually what I do. Start the voice com menu up while turning away and then whip back around and shout "SHAZBOT" while killing the poor fellow who was running up for a too-good-to-be-true backlance.
  • When I'm cloaked, I try to make my approach and all my maneuvers as if I'm just sneaking in plain as day. The cloak is a crutch for stealth, not a wheelchair. You can't lean on it exclusively.