Goon Haven - News, Info, Etc

Comments

• There are usually several admins on in the evening. Last night I think there were 4 of us on the same server.

I'll be opening up adminhood to non-SA members soon. The main reason that I haven't thus far is with SA I have some accountability on someone. I can read up on their history and their reputation. Here... you're all anonymous to me :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more admins soon.
  • There are usually several admins on in the evening. Last night I think there were 4 of us on the same server.

I'll be opening up adminhood to non-SA members soon. The main reason that I haven't thus far is with SA I have some accountability on someone. I can read up on their history and their reputation. Here... you're all anonymous to me :)

I'm pretty much the gold-standard when it comes to admin

How about you guys become my favorite people ever by filling up the 32 man server so I can stress test the new maps and keep bug testing Evolution admin (because it still has PLENTY) then we'll talk. ;)
  • BTW I do not see the 32 man server listed in the browser
  • After that one 47th Airborne or something map UEd me, I UEd when I tried to rejoin and the 32-man server disappeared from the list (other than faved).

Actually Anarchy would be a terrible admin.

Actually Anarchy would be a terrible admin.

Yeah... TKing would be recommended then... and teams could capture their own flag. And bases wouldn't be raped, they'd just change hands a lot. ;)

• There have been other admins that did a great job.

Just wanted to give you guys feed back.

Thanks,
    ReD

Why thank you ReD. I've seen you on the servers, glad to have you there. :)

LOL golden
  • AnarchyAo - Next time you are on the server, I will kickban without warning. That's some bullshit you pulled. You complain about maps but you are part of the problem with that stunt.
  • edited January 2009
    AnarchyAo - Next time you are on the server, I will kickban without warning. That's some bullshit you pulled. You complain about maps but you are part of the problem with that stunt.

I did manipulate you, and for that I'm sorry. It was a very wrong thing to do, you're a very open-minded individual who only wants your server to thrive. I've been nothing but immature when speaking to you, and you've been nothing short of constructive, and helpful. May your server prosper without my presence. Good luck.
  • Thank you, Redeye and others. I have spoken to him and while he may still be a little more vocal or aggressive than some of the other admins, I have told him to tone it down a lot.
    Yes, I'm not sure why Oplem is an admin. Rebels admins puts him to shame.
  • Because he hosted the first Goon server, does a ton for the community (with banner ads, etc) on the Something Awful side, and knows a lot of the vets from the last few years.

That's why.

He's been warned against being the "badmin". If it keeps up things will be taken care of. I won't suffer fools (see earlier post).

I wish I could have admins/map cycles/mods that everyone and their mother liked. I also wish I could shit gold. Both are just as likely to happen.
  • I wish I could have admins/map cycles/mods that everyone and their mother liked. I also wish I could shit gold. Both are just as likely to happen.

Well you could at least remove the maps that everyone and their mother hates, e.g. Desiccator, Recalescence, etc.
  • I did manipulate you, and for that I'm sorry. It was a very wrong thing to do, you're a very open-minded individual who only wants your server to thrive. I've been nothing but immature when speaking to you, and you've been nothing short of constructive, and helpful. May your server prosper without my presence. Good luck.

I've never met such an hypocrite like you in 8 years of Tribes 2. Offensive, manipulator and stupid. Hopefully I warned the admin. I hope I'll never see you again...
  • edited January 2009
    Beaz., which mappack did you download?

http://dl.rawr32.net/maps/
    is a good map download place, most maps are CS although

http://dl.rawr32.net/maps/T2MMapPack.vl2
    is a decent map pack, i believe it is SS
  • I wish I could have admins/map cycles/mods that everyone and their mother liked. I also wish I could shit gold. Both are just as likely to happen.

Well you could at least remove the maps that everyone and their mother hates, e.g. Desiccator, Recalescence, etc.

You're on the right track... give me reasons why to remove them. Don't say ETC when listing maps. Tell me the ones that are "bad" and why.

E.G.

- I hate Scarabrae because I can't cap the flag at 300kph. (I would not remove Scarabrae for this)

- I hate Recalescence because the base is large, empty, somewhat confusing, and overall not very fun to play (I would listen to this)

This thread is to help me make a server the the community will enjoy. Of course there is no way in hell I'll be able to please you with EVERY map.

Notice that my plan for the 32 man is to remove ALL maps except for custom ones (and katabatic just for kicks) and add maps as they are SUGGESTED. Pick your poisoin.
    I did manipulate you, and for that I'm sorry. It was a very wrong thing to do, you're a very open-minded individual who only wants your server to thrive. I've been nothing but immature when speaking to you, and you've been nothing short of constructive, and helpful. May your server prosper without my presence. Good luck.

I've never met such an hypocrite like you in 8 years of Tribes 2. Offensive, manipulator and stupid. Hopefully I warned the admin. I hope I'll never see you again...

Let's try not to dwell on this further and get back to discussing the server.

I have no client-side map packs. I've downloaded individual server-side maps and 2 Vmap packs (akin to maps hosted on Houston/Miami vehicles).

You're on the right track... give me reasons why to remove them. Don't say ETC when listing maps. Tell me the ones that are "bad" and why.

E.G.

- I hate Scarabrae because I can't cap the flag at 300kph. (I would not remove Scarabrae for this)

- I hate Recalescence because the base is large, empty, somewhat confusing, and overall not very fun to play (I would listen to this)

This thread is to help me make a server the the community will enjoy. Of course there is no way in hell I'll be able to please you with EVERY map.

Notice that my plan for the 32 man is to remove ALL maps except for custom ones (and katabatic just for kicks) and add maps as they are SUGGESTED. Pick your poisoin.

Let's try not to dwell on this further and get back to discussing the server.

I have no client-side map packs. I've downloaded individual server-side maps and 2 Vmap packs (akin to maps hosted on Houston/Miami vehicles).

Be careful with the T2M Mappack, it's buggy and needs an experienced mapper to go through it and fix it.

Also recalescence, while not my favorite is the favorite of some base infiltrators/rapers. Maybe take it from the rotation list, but leave it in there fwith the option to vote for it.
  • edited January 2009
    I don't know who those people are or why I would care. Please contribute on topic stuff to the thread or just some common courtesy to not keep posting off topic stuff.
    Be careful with the T2M Mappack, it's buggy and needs an experienced mapper to go through it and fix it.

Also recalescence, while not my favorite is the favorite of some base infiltrators/rapers. Maybe take it from the rotation list, but leave it in there fwith the option to vote for it.

I don't recall any of them being the T2M map pack. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm confused, which one is thebeaz?

You should do stand-up.

edit: Haha. I see what you did there. You Google'd "thebeaz" and found a flickr account that isn't even mine. That's pretty ace, guy. That's funny though, I didn't think other people with my name would use that unoriginal username.
  • Beaz., which mappack did you download?

http://dl.rawr32.net/maps/
    is a good map download place, most maps are CS although

http://dl.rawr32.net/maps/T2MMapPack.vl2
    is a decent map pack, i believe it is SS

Sorry, seems my double quote didn't work. I was talking referring to this reply about the T2Mmappack.
  • You should make me an admin.

I admin-ed on Last Gasp without a single complaint.
    I also admin-ed a friendly clan's server back in the day, but it was private so there are probably only about 150 people that would remember it between the 3 or 4 teams that played there.
  • There's the one Air Support 2 or something map. Two flying bases, 3 vpads each, they're like 2km apart. I tend to spawn just off the base (think it's the Storm one) and fall to the ground, taking no damage, thankfully, because of the spawn shield thing. That one's sort of a problem.

Carrier Strike looks interesting, but again the long distance between bases leaves a lot to be desired, since there's really no ski points with all the water, and even though there's two vpads and some pre-spawned vehicles, the opening of a match where everybody grabs something, I think, would be a bit too chaotic.

That's just my two cents so far. Will keep jumping into the 32-man to test new maps. Shotgun blaster kicks ass. Oh and that one Ancient Ruins map where none of us could figure out how to get out of the base? Think we need to drop that one.

Oh and I'm not auditioning for an admin position. If I'm actually good enough I'll wait for someone else to tell me that.
  • There's the one Air Support 2 or something map. Two flying bases, 3 vpads each, they're like 2km apart. I tend to spawn just off the base (think it's the Storm one) and fall to the ground, taking no damage, thankfully, because of the spawn shield thing. That one's sort of a problem.

Carrier Strike looks interesting, but again the long distance between bases leaves a lot to be desired, since there's really no ski points with all the water, and even though there's two vpads and some pre-spawned vehicles, the opening of a match where everybody grabs something, I think, would be a bit too chaotic.

That's just my two cents so far. Will keep jumping into the 32-man to test new maps. Shotgun blaster kicks ass. Oh and that one Ancient Ruins map where none of us could figure out how to get out of the base? Think we need to drop that one.

Oh and I'm not auditioning for an admin position. If I'm actually good enough I'll wait for someone else to tell me that.

What an excellent post (and exactly what I'm looking for)!

I'm in full agreement on Ancient Ruins. No need to suffer through that map.

On the contrary with Carrier Strike, we had about 20 people on the server last night... the opening shots were actually pretty cool. A little chaotic, sure, but so many vehicles off to attack like that was pretty exhilarating :)

Air Support 2 - The map is a little big (and the base a bit confusing) but it's still sort of fun. Both of the maps give a TAC2 feel without having the "floor is lava" ruleset. I intend to dig into some of these .mis files and fix some of these mistakes, once I re-learn how (haven't played with customizing maps since the release of Tribes 1).

The shotgun blaster DOES kick ass, doesn't it. Maybe a tad bit overpowered... but it's definitely a defensive weapon. You lose all mobility if you go on the offense with it.

You're a lot of fun to play with, please keep visiting the server!
  • I haven't even paid attention to how much the shotgun takes from energy. Every time someone mentions the blaster fires multiple shots, we seem to all stop and play around with it for a while ;D

I think for the Air Support 2 map it might be helpful (maybe) to lower the bases just a tad to the ground, so if one falls off the side during a spawn, the lack of an energy pack won't prevent them from jetting right back up.

Oh and see, that's what I get for joining the 32 man on Carrier Strike when there's like 4 people total :P
  • thanks for putting up maps from the old HV server let me know if you need anymore I used to do The map rotation on The HV server back In the day and have tested many of them and still have most of them now.Just let me know if you need any help.I do have one suggestion since you have two servers available to you how about trying out the smaller 32 man one with base and turn team damage off,That way people can have another choice besides classic and team damage on just a thought.
  • I wish I could have admins/map cycles/mods that everyone and their mother liked.
    It's not about what people like on the surface, but what's best. It's about having good taste and knowing that you have good taste, or constantly looking for constructive feedback from people, which you're already doing.

There's this one map that came with the original Tribes 2 package: Insalubrius. Bright, green, large vehicle-centric map. The one with the outdoor flag with forcefields... one of my favorites and I'm sure alot of players remember it. Not sure why it's not in the rotation.
  • thanks for putting up maps from the old HV server let me know if you need anymore I used to do The map rotation on The HV server back In the day and have tested many of them and still have most of them now.Just let me know if you need any help.I do have one suggestion since you have two servers available to you how about trying out the smaller 32 man one with base and turn team damage off,That way people can have another choice besides classic and team damage on just a thought.

Just being honest here, but I only know two things:

1) Tribes 1 was one of my favorite games ever. Tribes 2 sort of disappointed me (though it could have been my crappy video card at the time).
    2) I'm told that Classic turns Tribes 2 into Tribes 1. I can believe it due to the amount of fun I'm having.

I know Base slows the game waaaaay down in terms of skiing. Would you mind giving me more input on the pros/cons of each? Classic just seems so damn popular.

But in response to your other statement about HV... yes I love vehicle maps. I love a map where an expert skiier can do his thing at the same time that another group of guys can contribute by bombing the shit out of stuff. So maps that cater to multiple roles are always welcome.

Remember though - At this current junction I prefer server-side
  • edited January 2009
    kewl I suggest you try out Texs vehicles map pack which you may already and try Fat tonys I have both they are at tribes2maps.com or I can find someway to get them to you to have a look,Also a map I enjoyed which is fast paced with vehicles is Gas mask its heavy friendly and has vpads for the vehicles freaks like me. keep up the good work.
  • kewl I suggest you try out Texs vehicles map pack which you may already and try Fat tonys I have both they are at tribes2maps.com or I can find someway to get them to you to have a look,Also a map I enjoyed which is fast paced with vehicles is Gas mask its heavy friendly and has vpads for the vehicles freaks like me. keep up the good work.

I agree with this... Just replace all the maps you can that have V counterparts before you test them.

I believe on Page 1 I put my "wishlist" for your server up there. As long as maps are balanced with similar bases (one reason I hate riverdance) and balanced for vehicles (Which is why sandstorm sucks so bad), I am pretty easy to please.

While I hate Dessicator, I can find things to do on it. I would be happier if you took it off the list, but can live with it. Recal is an okay map... one of the few maps I D generators on. I usually just watch TV and stare down the hallway for 30 mins. If I had to play it more than 2-3x/week, I would probably like is significantly less.

I have played almost every map that is worth a damn. Unlike most, I actually like Carrier Strike. Although I really wouldn't go so far as to say I miss it. I hate Air Support 2 simply because it is a shriker map. Shrikes are universally the most Overpowered part of T2. I don't mind them so much, but when a map caters to them, I tend to stray from them. Then again, I don't use many scripts that make people good in shrikes so that doesn't help either. Although I like Failed Project despite it being a shriker map simply because I can D the genroom in it.

I would suggest doing some kind of polling asking people to rate a list of 60 maps. 1-10 with a "Never played it" option. Take the top 25 or so on the list and make them your default rotation with the next 20 ranked maps and add them to the vote list or something. Once you have the rotation how you like it, set a night for "map of the week" to try out some of the more unknown maps out there (God knows there are enough of them to last another 9 years of T2); maybe we'll find a diamond in the rough.

Other than that, I won't go so far as to say that I would ask to be an admin or anything, but I wouldn't turn it down either. I feel I have a good standing with many of the veterans. I have kept a rather low profile in my time, but have always gone by Leifis ever since I started T2. I play often, and I don't know exactly what you would expect of an admin but I usually am just happy to keep others playing T2.

• Recal is an okay map... one of the few maps I D generators on. I usually just watch TV and stare down the hallway for 30 mins. If I had to play it more than 2-3x/week, I would probably like is significantly less.

Now that's some pretty easy D ;D

Think I'll have to play Carrier Strike a few more times to get it to grow on me. I think it's just the high water level and low flight ceiling that are turning me off a little; I like to have lots of possible roles on a map.

Having a master list of the maps you're trying out and then having votes (and preferably comments) on each would probably be a very useful thing for this whole testing deal. Tossing one of the new maps into the 64-man just to see how they react might be good too.