What are you so scared of ...

A little competition?

Every game today has competition, even RPG's. What the big deal against it?

You guys talk about seperation but push away the fact of competition; this forces a player base who is entralled and encouraged to play better and harder away. Along with the new ones who want to be challenged and learn.

Face some facts. It will raise player skill, teach others/eachother, and the overall involvement of the whole community. Gives new players something to aim for, what else is there right now? A game with no objectives than installing and ... then what?

(Yes, I understand we are still under development, but it will come soon enough)

Comments

• Well to contribute to the competitive aspect I'm working with my admins to layout the groundwork for regularly scheduled tournaments. The logistics of the tournament will be decided by us, but we'll put up polls of maps considered "balanced" by the old school community and more than likely TWL. I don't think anyone is afraid of competition... it's just kind of pointless/exercise-in-futility to get serious on a pub with strangers.

Plus many people don't have a way to collaborate with their teammates (no ventrilo or teamspeak). One of the things I'll be dong to alleviate this is provide access to tournament teams to my 50-man vent (with specific channels passworded just for their team). Even if someone doesn't have a mic, they can login and listen to their teammates. Will hopefully help.
  • i can also help with this Beaz, i have recently got my clan together JUST for comp, you might know us as The | Names, anyways, i and a friend host a public 24/7 Teamspeak server which anyone can come join.
  • My only request for beaz is when the competition server goes up that he leave one of the pubs up for the rest of us :)
    I'll expand on "it's just kind of pointless/exercise-in-futility to get serious on a pub with strangers" and add that I believe fully organized competition does not belong on an open-to-all public server.

I'm a little wary of fully organized competition as I recognize that my skillset for public servers is not even close to what I should have for a competitive game. That or I have little to no faith in myself. Both are likely.

I doubt we're afraid of competition, but it would be better to let the community decide that it wants it than to force it on them.
  • I will probably launch a third server just for the competition. I don't want to have to be swapping around map/config files like crazy. I'd rather set it and leave it.
  • New from Ronco, the Goon Haven tournament server ;D
  • A little competition?

Every game today has competition, even RPG's. What the big deal against it?

You guys talk about seperation but push away the fact of competition; this forces a player base who is entralled and encouraged to play better and harder away. Along with the new ones who want to be challenged and learn.

Face some facts. It will raise player skill, teach others/eachother, and the overall involvement of the whole community. Gives new players something to aim for, what else is there right now? A game with no objectives than installing and ... then what?

(Yes, I understand we are still under development, but it will come soon enough)

Nah; I don't think peeps are scared!

I do think most have just grown up, discovered the joys of sex, and just want to play an hour or two with cool peeps and get back to living their lives and then having more sex!
  • I'm a little wary of fully organized competition as I recognize that my skillset for public servers is not even close to what I should have for a competitive game. That or I have little to no faith in myself. Both are likely.

I doubt we're afraid of competition, but it would be better to let the community decide that it wants it than to force it on them.

The only difference between those pubs with vets only and your average joe playing right now is the level of exposure. With a new player population, it would be time to start and grow to that level. As I am sure, many older players would be willing to spend some time with new players actually wanting to be at that level.

It would be refreshing to have some new groups at least challenge and bring something new to T2. And how often would that be, once a week? You still have 6 other days you can spend doing and playing anything else you like. Hopefully we can gather more interest along the way.

thebeaz is doing his part and putting up a tourney sometime, hopefully some more details soon. And our new players interested in participating shouldn't be going in blind and discouraged from older players! Should be a great experience.
  • See and that's why we needed this thread earlier. Know what impression I was getting from the competition crusaders? Full-blown competition on all servers or death! If you don't play comp you suck at Tribes! There's certainly been a lot of undue negativity surrounding competition, and the flame wars that keep popping up here and there probably aren't helping.

Competition is certainly a different level of difficulty than pub servers, but remember that all of us playing Tribes are still operating on a much different level than J. Random Haloid. Let us have our fun too and we'll be more enthusiastic about branching out into competition.
  • Let us have our fun too and we'll be more enthusiastic about branching out into competition.

That's the exact point.

Might as well build interest before a player base begins to dry up and refuse the idea of comp. Most should find it more exciting than hours of pub play.

Less attitudes like DUNNA rejecting the idea of comp because it's a hardcore 24/7 focus on only compeition which means you can't have a life. Because that's exactly what it does!
  • Let us have our fun too and we'll be more enthusiastic about branching out into competition.

That's the exact point.

Might as well build interest before a player base begins to dry up and refuse the idea of comp. Most should find it more exciting than hours of pub play.

Less attitudes like DUNNA rejecting the idea of comp because it's a hardcore 24/7 focus on only compeition which means you can't have a life. Because that's exactly what it does!

If you are going to mention my name do it with care.

I don't reject competition, I reject the supporting comp with people that don't work well with others. You and your extremely opinionated vocal competitive friends. That's the element I reject, not the idea of competition, just your opinionated, egotistical bunch.

Am I crystal clear now?
  • Point taken, My bad.

But, why didn't you make that point first? You could always be support if you are in line with the idea and NOT be an "opinionated" and "egotistical" member of the tribes community. :D
  • I'm sure he was trying to be polite.

That's the exact point.

If you are going to mention my name do it with care.

I don't reject competition, I reject the supporting comp with people that don't work well with others. You and your extremely opinionated vocal competitive friends. That's the element I reject, not the idea of competition, just your opinionated, egotistical bunch.

Am I crystal clear now?

I'm exactly in agreement with DUN_DUNNA'S point of view here. I've been up for competition from the beginning but certain members(the egotistical bunch refered to in DUN_DUNNA'S post) shot down the idea for various reasons, claiming that they were the experts on everything. They said - let's wait til there are more players. This was when there were 3000 registered on tribesnext.

Above and beyond all that, EVERY time they become involved in a discussion, they seriously flame the hell out of it by insulting other members. Why aren't there rules against this here?
  • I may need to start pulling in resources from the TribesNext community to help plan the Goon Haven tournament. Some of my fellow Goons aren't active enough (which is why I've been more and more open to the general public).

Just as a general interest check, would some people be interested in helping moderate/referee/plan the tournament? I would make a special forum just for this on GoonHaven.org.
  • I could be interested in modding or refereeing things, just depends on what I'm responsible for.

You people have me all interested in this stuff now
  • edited January 2009
    I've modded two servers in the past, never looked in on a tourney. I think you're doing okay on general moderators so far though.
  • nothing wrong with competition I played IN TWL and BEML on a few teams and enjoyed it and had success in it.Not everybodys cup of tea though.We even had a few tournaments on The HV server which was made up of some twl teams and some pub teams, First year ta twl team one second time a pub team won the whole it was fun but it took awhile to get it togther.
    I am not afraid of this at all,but yes there is a but we dont need to be shoving it down people throat.Next is still in beta there still improving and were still trying to grow are player base.Some people just wanna play for fun now and dont want to compete and theres nothing wrong with that either.Some people are new to the game and are just learning how to play.So try setting something up but have some fun with it.The last thing we need right now is the I am leet your a noob shit going on.
    I will tell you what I am afraid of It is that attitude the I am leet you all suck crap.
    I will give an example last night on a pub server a map comes out with just tanks and one mpb so people are getting tanks and a guy who has been sitting asking for a TG finally takes off on his own.Then in global I see in all caps" ANYBODY TAKING A TANK BY HIMSELF IS A HOMO !" Then right after I see the reply" I can see this is why the great tribes community is so small." and he left the game maybe to go to another server maybe to unistall the game and never play it again.I mean come on do we really need this shit.Why not explain to the guy why its not a good idea to do that without the name calling and attitude.This game has a learning curve for new people remember you were new once to maybe that was eight years ago but so what no reason to act like an ass.
    Ok my rant is over and again I have no problem with competition at all go for it lets just leave the leet attitude at home.
  • There are bigger issues affecting Tribesnext at this time than worrying about competition or the lack thereof. One being bugfixes and community features, two being how to attract the naysayers over at you-know-where into joining tribesnext.
  • I've modded two servers in the past, never looked in on a tourney. I think you're doing okay on general moderators so far though.

I don't need general moderators. I mean people specifically for helping put together a tournament. You'd only be a moderator on the tourney server during the tournament ;)
  • Yeah, that's what I thought I was reading. I wanted to be specific. Like I said, never moderated a tourney before, so I won't be of much use there.

Seeing mousemod attempting to make a comeback, I'll probably be over there quite a bit anyways. What can I say? The mod has it's flaws, but I knew everyone on the server. It'll be like old times.
  • I can give you some basic ideas if you want ;D
  • Right off the bat, make all comp play only kata w/v2 mod.
  • Every game today has competition, even RPG's. What the big deal against it?

Arrogant know-it-all pricks that flame the hell out of anything and everyone that doesn't fit their very narrow definition of what constitutes "[true/skilled]" (pick one, or both) gameplay and can't even have a conversation about anything without constantly outright insulting anyone who disagrees with them or even agrees with them but still likes the other stuff as being terrible at the game.

Think of it like the difference between CS and Smash's competitive community. the CS elite look down on such "nubly" gametypes as gungame, zombiemod, hostage rescue maps, and even any server that isn't precisely modded to their preferences. The smash elite play itemless stock matches on restricted map sets but (most of them) still consider a full items wonky-map 4 player free for all to be good fun outside of tournament matches.

Encouraging the immediate growth of a competitive community and ladder has the chance of also splitting the community into pubbers who don't give a damn and people in one of the two groups above and if it's the former group then god help you because I'd bet spam protection in a Construction server that there would be a massive exodus of servers that all want to be "pro" and you'll wind up with 2/3rds of the servers being empty all the time and the rest having a smattering of players doing lower and lower playercount matches with restricted packs and weapons, no vehicles, claiming that it simulates a larger match and anyone who plays something else no matter how good they are is still magically terrible at the True Game.

Or hell freezes over and while I'm busy getting laid and gamestop employees get trampled by people buying DNF the competitive community goes smash style and spends their time inbetween practice and scrims having a hell of a time dodging explosions in 32+ man games, nuking people in WAR, and building god knows what in Construction.
  • Wall of RAGE!

Nothing wrong with the competition, as long as it stays competition. If you want to play to practice, find a decent practice server, host one, get a pick-up practice, whatever. The pub servers shouldn't face the same rules as competitive servers do, and they usually don't for good reason.

Your average player does not want to play competitively.
  • Think of it like the difference between CS and Smash's competitive community. the CS elite look down on such "nubly" gametypes as gungame, zombiemod, hostage rescue maps, and even any server that isn't precisely modded to their preferences. The smash elite play itemless stock matches on restricted map sets but (most of them) still consider a full items wonky-map 4 player free for all to be good fun outside of tournament matches.

Thank you for proving our point. CS is one of the most popular online games in history. What the hell is Smash?

Case closed.
  • I think the comp guys should have their space in the game, cuz when they're not in a match they can be pubbing and adding to the fun. I have no real grudge against comp folks, I just like to tease. They usualy set themselves up as easy targets.
  • Think of it like the difference between CS and Smash's competitive community. the CS elite look down on such "nubly" gametypes as gungame, zombiemod, hostage rescue maps, and even any server that isn't precisely modded to their preferences. The smash elite play itemless stock matches on restricted map sets but (most of them) still consider a full items wonky-map 4 player free for all to be good fun outside of tournament matches.

Thank you for proving our point. CS is one of the most popular online games in history. What the hell is Smash?

Case closed.

Case closed because Smash Brothers was/is more popular than Tribes 2, and CS was more popular than both?

correlation =/= causation

Cute though. "What the hell is Smash?" I guess it's possible that you didn't realize what he was talking about. Was pretty obvious to me.
  • edited January 2009
    Think of it like the difference between CS and Smash's competitive community. the CS elite look down on such "nubly" gametypes as gungame, zombiemod, hostage rescue maps, and even any server that isn't precisely modded to their preferences. The smash elite play itemless stock matches on restricted map sets but (most of them) still consider a full items wonky-map 4 player free for all to be good fun outside of tournament matches.

Case closed.

And off the 64,000 people steam currently lists playing CS:S I guarantee you that easily 90% of them are PUB PLAYERS and not arrogant jerks that run around screaming "NUB FGT" or more eloquent equivalents like you do.

Also aside from correlation =/= causation you should really think about trying to support your statement that CS is one of the most populous games in history by using my argument that it's competitive players are almost exclusively assholes.

Or were you deliberately arguing that in order for t2 to pick up again it needs a lot of trolls like you insulting everyone that doesn't fit their extremely narrow definition of a pro player at every opportunity despite being a very small part of the population?

p.s. In case you're genuinely ignorant and unwilling to google rather than just trolling me: Smash is short for the Smash Brothers series, and right now they have about 710 people on their forums and about 140K members in total. Tomorrow there will be a brawl tournament here in central florida and chances are that, as with most months, it will have anywhere from 60-80 entrants and 80-100 attendees.
  • Umm, my point was that people like me don't negatively affect a game at all. CS is filled with people like me and they don't stop CS from being one of the most popular games in history. My other statement was to reiterate that I highly doubt that SSB will ever rival CS.

You're bad, someone else is good. Sometimes he's nice to you, sometimes he's arrogant. It doesn't really matter. Either way, your choices are to deal with it and get better, or cry about it and go play an easier game. I don't really care which, because anyone who chooses the latter probably doesn't have what it takes to stick around in this game anyway, and probably would have quit soon enough even if we were nice to him.