New people, if you want to learn to fight, give arena a shot.

I know there's obviously mixed debate about this, but I find that the more you're being exposed to fighting the better you're going to get at it. Many of you may be in the current mindset that when you see someone you literally freak out, in order to calm your nerves you simply need to get your ass kicked many times to the point of not caring any more. I highly suggest any and all new people to set down their mortars and come give arena a shot, you may even like it. Sure, you'll get destroyed for a few months but that's what makes you good. You aren't learning if you aren't dying.

kbye.

Comments

• I agree. Granted I'm not that great at the game, when I first started I liked CTF the best. Turns our arena exposes you to many 1v1 situations as well as situations when you are horribly outnumbered. This exposure really helped me to learn what to do in these types of situations, especially how to shoot to survive. Arena is now my favorite gameplay, and I highly reccommend at least trying it sometime to improve your skills.
  • I agree. Granted I'm not that great at the game, when I first started I liked CTF the best. Turns our arena exposes you to many 1v1 situations as well as situations when you are horribly outnumbered. This exposure really helped me to learn what to do in these types of situations, especially how to shoot to survive. Arena is now my favorite gameplay, and I highly reccommend at least trying it sometime to improve your skills.

the eye of the tiger.
  • Yep, arena is great practice for learning how to fight.
  • Great Idea AnarchyAo. To the beginners: stick with it, the skills will come :)
  • Underestimated 1v1 weapon of the moment: ELF. Dear god this thing is evil. If you've got enough juice to get airborne and you slap someone with this on the way up you're essentially guaranteed a free nade/mine+disc.
  • Underestimated 1v1 weapon of the moment: ELF. Dear god this thing is evil. If you've got enough juice to get airborne and you slap someone with this on the way up you're essentially guaranteed a free nade/mine+disc.

nice, not only that but, if they are using a shield pack, they will be vulnerable and take damage when you nade/disc them : )
    don't use elf in duels
    not only are you better off with another weapon, it's actually easier than you'd think to dodge a shot right after being elfed if you're any good
  • FORGET THAT THE ONLY WAY 2 BE GOOD AT TRIBES 2 IS 2 BEAT ALL SOLO & LAN MISSIONS ON HARD MEDIUM AND EASY OR ELSE YOU WONT UNDERSTAND THE TACTICS THAT ARE INVOLVED INSIDE OF TRIBES 2
  • I dunno. Arena and other limited mods are so similar to q3, cs, and other first person games as to be irrelevant. Just jump into a ctf server and play.
  • TO BE GOOD AT T2 YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SKI, SKIING IS ESSENTIAL FOR HAVING AND ENJOYABLE T2 EXPERIENCE. WITHOUT THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE OF SKIING YOU WONT BE ABLE TO MOVE FAST AND WILL GET SHOT A LOT.
  • I dunno. Arena and other limited mods are so similar to q3, cs, and other first person games as to be irrelevant. Just jump into a ctf server and play.

I can't believe you just compared Tribes2 Arena with Counterstrike.
  • TO BE GOOD AT T2 YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO SKI, SKIING IS ESSENTIAL FOR HAVING AND ENJOYABLE T2 EXPERIENCE. WITHOUT THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE OF SKIING YOU WONT BE ABLE TO MOVE FAST AND WILL GET SHOT A LOT.

I always laugh when people claim skiing is such a big skill of omg.

I can't believe you just compared Tribes2 Arena with Counterstrike.

Conceptually it's the same. Team deathmatch on a small map, where if you die you have to wait until the next round to respawn. Except unlike CS there's no hostages to rescue or bombs to plant.
  • I prefer lakrabbit. Arena never made me better. It's too slow. When you die, you wait.
  • I know there's obviously mixed debate about this, but I find that the more you're being exposed to fighting the better you're going to get at it. Many of you may be in the current mindset that when you see someone you literally freak out, in order to calm your nerves you simply need to get your ass kicked many times to the point of not caring any more. I highly suggest any and all new people to set down their mortars and come give arena a shot, you may even like it. Sure, you'll get destroyed for a few months but that's what makes you good. You aren't learning if you aren't dying.

kbye.

yeah, anarchy's been playing arena for years and he still gets destroyed, so don't feel bad.
  • arena is trash now

the eye of the tiger.

The Eye of the Tiger.

And lak is also a good learning tool, however I find a much better turnout in arena servers. Plus lak turns into mayhem when you get the flag. It's great for ma's, but arena makes you more well rounded.
  • edited February 2009
    I would like to join in the concerns about Arena. First, as already mentioned, you risk to be shut out for up to three minutes, especially when you're a newbie. Of course, that would give you time to observe other players. But leads to my second point: The weapon of choice for most Arena-players is the chaingun. You don't spawn close enough to each other or approach each other with enough speed to counteract or dodge the bullets. Next to that, most Arena servers run on base. Therefore, the chaingun is even stronger. Talking about weapon loadout, most arena servers do allow the chaingun, however no missile launcher or mortar. The result is that everyone feels free to toss grenades and fly around deliberately. However, on a Classic TFC server like GoonHaven - that is as a matter of fact dominant right now - you'd be shot down any second.
    If you've used to play Arena myself in the beginning of the game and once I joined a clan playing Classic TFC was completely useless: You won't harm any good capper standing somewhere in the middle of the map and firing your chaingun.
    I admit to be a huge opponent of any chainwhoring, but cannot help but to accept it as part of the gameplay in Arena. However, such "skills" will help you close to nothing once you join CTF servers. Anyway, CTF comes closest to actual warfare: There are no honorable duels or predictable fighting situations. Attackers and bullets come from anywhere and you gotta manage to survive AND fulfill your tasks.
    If you want to train your skills with the spinfusor, the shock-lance, elf or whatever, duels should be your first choice. That's also where a skilled player takes down a chainwhore with one midair. The grenade problem still remains, though.
    Anyway, Arena is a gameplay of its own (like Siege or Rabbit) and should be respected or at least tolerated as such. Personally, however, I feel like CTF is the final goal and Arena won't help you much for that.
  • Karakasa, While reading your comments there's a few spots where my brain begins to hurt in trying to comprehend how you could possible believe what you're saying. I think, simple put (and not meaning to sound elitist) that you believe many of the things you're saying to being true because you're inexperienced and haven't attained a level of skill that would otherwise refute your points. I've listed the points below that I have a problem with believing:
    The weapon of choice for most Arena-players is the chaingun. You don't spawn close enough to each other or approach each other with enough speed to counteract or dodge the bullets.

If you're a good player, while helpful, you won't *need* speed to dodge a chaingun bullet. This is where your inexperience comes into play, you haven't found out that you can actually dodge a chaingun in both base arena and classic ctf without needing to ski down a mountain going at extremely fast speeds. I can't explain to you how you dodge a chaingun, but it's both necessary in the air and on the ground to do it. It's the way you move yourself to mess up the lead of the enemy player, constantly forcing them to readjust their aim makes it difficult for them to hit you.
    The result is that everyone feels free to toss grenades and fly around deliberately. However, on a Classic TFC server like GoonHaven - that is as a matter of fact dominant right now - you'd be shot down any second.

Well, of course. You're comparing a server of 12-16 players with one that has 68. I feel that's an unfair comparison, but yes I understand what you're saying when you speak of the diversity of weapons not present in arena (missle launcher, mortar). However, the missle launcher is mindlessly easy to avoid--just throw a flare. And as for the mortar...a mortar takes two seconds to explode, any person whose been playing arena for a while will be able to dodge a mortar, when they've been used to dodging weapons that are much more difficult to avoid (such as spinfusor, or grenades). A better argument that you could've made would've been speaking of the distinct difference between the grenade launcher in classic and base, because base arena does absolutely no good (and is actually detrimental) for learning to dodge the fast paced ammunition of a grenade launcher in classic mod--I believe this is the #1 killer of base arena/duel players in classic (next up would be mine/disc).
    If you've used to play Arena myself in the beginning of the game and once I joined a clan playing Classic TFC was completely useless: You won't harm any good capper standing somewhere in the middle of the map and firing your chaingun.

Heh..in my experience the two weapons that are most efficient at taking down a capper are the chaingun and the rifle. If your LD misses with the rifle, you better damn well have chasers on that capper chaining--even the people at your base should be chaining the capper until they are out of sight. Chaingun spam on the capper, no matter how far away they are from you, is extremely helpful and can and does end in the capper dying.
    I admit to be a huge opponent of any chainwhoring, but cannot help but to accept it as part of the gameplay in Arena. However, such "skills" will help you close to nothing once you join CTF servers.
    The chaingun is more a part of CTF than it is in arena. It's one of the most efficient weapons to kill with in the game. If you're even mildly against using a weapon because you feel it's "cheap" then your dignity is going to destroy your potential to win, because if you're not taking advantage of the chaingun--your enemy will. To say that the chaingun is more present in arena than CTF is absolutely absurd. Any good team will have 6+ chainguns blazing on the enemy when they grab.
  • I've never been a big fan of arena or lakrabbit. I think everybody learns through experience and patience (it's how I learned).

Also, it depends on what type of player you are. I know a few cool and collected guys who would probably like arena, and, some people who like instant action who would like something like lakrabbit or CTF or Deathmatch.
  • I admit to be a huge opponent of any chainwhoring, but cannot help but to accept it as part of the gameplay in Arena. However, such "skills" will help you close to nothing once you join CTF servers.

Stupidest statement of the month. Why do you think the chaingun is in the game? Gee, I bet it's for taking down people flying in the air. Hey... what do cappers do? They fly through the air. If you want to be serious about taking down cappers, you carry the chaingun.

Use the tool that is most suited to the task.
  • I admit to be a huge opponent of any chainwhoring, but cannot help but to accept it as part of the gameplay in Arena. However, such "skills" will help you close to nothing once you join CTF servers.

Stupidest statement of the month. Why do you think the chaingun is in the game? Gee, I bet it's for taking down people flying in the air. Hey... what do cappers do? They fly through the air. If you want to be serious about taking down cappers, you carry the chaingun.

Yes, this. Exactly this. Every player on D should have a chaingun and the instant the flag gets off the stand it needs to be revving up. Even 3 people with chainguns can and will blast someone right out of the air in short order. Blaster flak is also frighteningly effective at dealing with incoming cappers, ~3-4 people just spamming it at the dude and flag stand as he approaches often results in a corpse on landing.

Yes, this. Exactly this. Every player on D should have a chaingun and the instant the flag gets off the stand it needs to be revving up. Even 3 people with chainguns can and will blast someone right out of the air in short order. Blaster flak is also frighteningly effective at dealing with incoming cappers, ~3-4 people just spamming it at the dude and flag stand as he approaches often results in a corpse on landing.
    yeah so you started off pretty good but then I found a mistake.
    can you find it?
  • Idunno, maybe you're one of those people with an irrational hatred for Mr. Flashy Von Bouncenzot? Or perhaps one of those wierd people that like playing 5v5 games with nobody on defense (or one token guy) because it "simulates" a larger match.

It's not so useful outdoors but any enclosed flagstand it's pretty hilarious how effective and teamkill-safe a few people blasterspamming can be.
  • The chaingun is more a part of CTF than it is in arena. It's one of the most efficient weapons to kill with in the game. If you're even mildly against using a weapon because you feel it's "cheap" then your dignity is going to destroy your potential to win, because if you're not taking advantage of the chaingun--your enemy will. To say that the chaingun is more present in arena than CTF is absolutely absurd. Any good team will have 6+ chainguns blazing on the enemy when they grab.

Thank you. Copy + paste much easier than typing.

I'm unsure whether noobs playing arena would get any better from playing the really good people. If there was a noob arena server I think that would be better. Maybe... Idk. Not like they will stay in an arena server long enough for either of these to work though. Most every time a noob joins an arena server they get owned hard, realize they can't respawn, then leave.
  • I always thought it would be great to have a newb arena server. Good players could join it and observe the match and place bets and stuff of which newbs they think will be the best.
  • I always thought it would be great to have a newb arena server. Good players could join it and observe the match and place bets and stuff of which newbs they think will be the best.

LMFAO

Can we do this please? I would love this.
  • --EVEN BETTER--

We train noobs to compete!!
  • Arena's scripter heaven. ;D
    8)
  • Hunters and Team Hunters are also good ways to fight in intense battles and using escape tactics and the like.