Now I remember.....

...why I left Tribes to begin with....Love the fact that I can play tribes again, you all rock, but people, LOL turn off the fuckn scripts........enough with the lasers huh?

Comments

• err ... wha?/professor farnsworth
  • ...why I left Tribes to begin with....Love the fact that I can play tribes again, you all rock, but people, LOL turn off the fuckn scripts........enough with the lasers huh?

you're right.... all people good at sniping must be using some sort of script. Shame on you all.
  • ...why I left Tribes to begin with....Love the fact that I can play tribes again, you all rock, but people, LOL turn off the fuckn scripts........enough with the lasers huh?

you're right.... all people good at sniping must be using some sort of script. Shame on you all.

...and here is where it starts....without EVEN playing with you I know you run scripts by your level 4 butthurtness reply!

its ok man, playing against scripts creates maaaaaaaaad skillzzzz
  • While actively moderating my server, sometimes people will report other suspicious "skills" from other players. One annoying thing (as far as adminning is concerned) is that people can tell when I'm observing them. I've seen pretty suspicious things (people topping the scoreboards with sniping... then I observe them and they don't get a single kill in almost 15 minutes)... but there's no way I can beyond a doubt prove they aren't cheating.

I'd rather have 3 people get away with using questionable scripts than permaban a single innocent player.
  • edited February 2009
    An experienced sniper has on days and off days, and is much more at the mercy of the condition of the network between his machine and the server he plays in than any other detrimental effect. If you would just move every second or so you would be less of a target. Then again, some snipers are very good at making quick shots on slow or non moving targets. No aa needed. So keep moving.

If you're jetting away with the flag and you do it in a straight line you're asking for it. In the case of a capper flying off like that, I predict where he is going to be soon, lay the crosshairs, and wait. Simple as that. If he would make some effort to not be where predicted he would likely get away.
  • The "oh no scripts/cheats" argument never comes from decent players.
    We can all be sure that microx wasn't good back in the day, and still isn't skilled, but he likes to blame it on other people cheating.

Do I use scripts? Yep. HalChecker, a speed/alt HUD, flagTimer, and 30 favorites (instead of 20). Man, being able to tab out to the chat GUI really makes my aim better, and I can ski much faster. =D
    You'd have to be an idiot (nicest way to put it) to quit an awesome game just because of some people you "think" are cheating.
  • While actively moderating my server, sometimes people will report other suspicious "skills" from other players. One annoying thing (as far as adminning is concerned) is that people can tell when I'm observing them. I've seen pretty suspicious things (people topping the scoreboards with sniping... then I observe them and they don't get a single kill in almost 15 minutes)... but there's no way I can beyond a doubt prove they aren't cheating.
    It would be pretty easy to remove those observer notifications if the observer is an admin.
  • The "oh no scripts/cheats" argument never comes from decent players.
    We can all be sure that microx wasn't good back in the day, and still isn't skilled, but he likes to blame it on other people cheating.

Do I use scripts? Yep. HalChecker, a speed/alt HUD, flagTimer, and 30 favorites (instead of 20). Man, being able to tab out to the chat GUI really makes my aim better, and I can ski much faster. =D

Haldeploy, halsensor, pilot mode2, hal's retfix, PJ's command and objective huds and hudmover, pilot-visible bombing reticle, key rebind fix, favorites by gametype/ruleset, persistent CC prefs, extended dashboard (speedometer etc), deployables hud, mousewheel zoom support, spawn weapon chooser, and Hal's retry fix.

I'll never touch automissile/autoflare or similar plays-for-you bullshittery. I do however want my chat in the bottom left of my screen, a nice green notifier when i can deploy, a different mouse sensitivity for vehicles, and to spawn with my spinfusor out.

So microx, am I cheating?
  • An experienced sniper has on days and off days, and is much more at the mercy of the condition of the network between his machine and the server he plays in than any other detrimental effect. If you would just move every second or so you would be less of a target. Then again, some snipers are very good at making quick shots on slow or non moving targets. No aa needed. So keep moving.

If you're jetting away with the flag and you do it in a straight line you're asking for it. In the case of a capper flying off like that, I predict where he is going to be soon, lay the crosshairs, and wait. Simple as that. If he would make some effort to not be where predicted he would likely get away.

This. So much this.

Standing still or predictable movements will easily end in being hit with a laser. As for calling hax and scripts, things like that, as someone with admin experience in other games, it's not even something you should joke about. I've had to remedy situations where someone joked about someone else hacking, then 15 people leap on the bandwagon, wait for a new admin to appear and sell them on the hack story. I've seen good players have tarnished reputations because of false accusations, to the point where they're vote kicked off of servers for doing nothing but playing skillfully.

It's a crap situation to put someone in, so if you're going to accuse anyone of hacking, at the very least you should have proof via a screen or a fraps.
  • Well said, fatwa. Perhaps the op meant tribes vengeance rather than tribes2?
    TV is riddled with hax that are very effective. T2 is relatively safe as far as the vast majority of players goes. There are some who aa and/or hm2 and use exploits, but they're the minority.
  • Well said, fatwa. Perhaps the op meant tribes vengeance rather than tribes2?
    TV is riddled with hax that are very effective. T2 is relatively safe as far as the vast majority of players goes. There are some who aa and/or hm2 and use exploits, but they're the minority.

I agree. Not that it matters, but, very few times have i seen someone do something with a cheat that someone else couldn't do without one... short of full auto mortar spamming using animation exploit.
  • The laser rifle's maximum range is 1000 meters. It's impossible to shoot further than that without a modded server. And it definitely IS possible to hit a headshot from over 900 meters away without cheating. It's a lucky shot, but it's possible.
  • No, a million mile away headhsot is quite common with a certain script that is not hm2 or an aa, and is nothing more than an iff indicator. Right out of the fog from across the map. But come on, it's not an aa, and half the time when one using the script fires into the fog, he's hitting a hill or some other obstacle in the way rather than the idiot who stands still on top of their flag. I use it all the time, more or less because it's fun pissing people off, and seeing if they do anything about me sniping at them from across the map. Sometimes they don't bother moving, for whatever reason. Move and this is no issue at all. I intend on running it untill thyth patches it out.
  • The laser rifle's maximum range is 1000 meters. It's impossible to shoot further than that without a modded server. And it definitely IS possible to hit a headshot from over 900 meters away without cheating. It's a lucky shot, but it's possible.

I'm skeptical about this figure. I suppose that the rifle might not do any damage after a certain distance threshhold, but I bet it would still hit. My thought is that if you (and a buddy or a stationary bot) stood more than 1000m apart, and you fired the laser rifle (targeting by beacon or IFF or otherwise), I'd bet you would successfully hit.

Now, lining up a 1000+m shot in the middle of an intense game, that's probably not so likely, but there is the skill of the sniper to take into consideration.

@below post: oh.
  • I've removed some of the flames in this thread. Keep it civil people.

As far as the sniper rifle range goes... the datablock that defines that is as follows:
    datablock SniperProjectileData(BasicSniperShot)
    {
       directDamage        = 0.4;
       hasDamageRadius     = false;
       indirectDamage      = 0.0;
       damageRadius        = 0.0;
       velInheritFactor    = 1.0;
       sound 				  = SniperRifleProjectileSound;
       explosion           = "SniperExplosion";
       splash              = SniperSplash;
       directDamageType    = $DamageType::Laser;

maxRifleRange       = 1000;
       rifleHeadMultiplier = 1.3;
       beamColor           = "1 0.1 0.1";
       fadeTime            = 1.0;

startBeamWidth		  = 0.145;
       endBeamWidth 	     = 0.25;
       pulseBeamWidth 	  = 0.5;
       beamFlareAngle 	  = 3.0;
       minFlareSize        = 0.0;
       maxFlareSize        = 400.0;
       pulseSpeed          = 6.0;
       pulseLength         = 0.150;

lightRadius         = 1.0;
       lightColor          = "0.3 0.0 0.0";

textureName[0]      = "special/flare";
       textureName[1]      = "special/nonlingradient";
       textureName[2]      = "special/laserrip01";
       textureName[3]      = "special/laserrip02";
       textureName[4]      = "special/laserrip03";
       textureName[5]      = "special/laserrip04";
       textureName[6]      = "special/laserrip05";
       textureName[7]      = "special/laserrip06";
       textureName[8]      = "special/laserrip07";
       textureName[9]      = "special/laserrip08";
       textureName[10]     = "special/laserrip09";
       textureName[11]     = "special/sniper00";

};

The beam physically stops at 1000 meters, and the raycast used to determine if a target is hit has the same max range.

You can test this yourself by having a player fire at you from 1001 meters away. The beam will stop just short of you.

...and here is where it starts....without EVEN playing with you I know you run scripts by your level 4 butthurtness reply!

its ok man, playing against scripts creates maaaaaaaaad skillzzzz

And by your level (Grade) 4 reply, I can tell you have trouble coping in the real world.

I'm skeptical about this figure. I suppose that the rifle might not do any damage after a certain distance threshhold, but I bet it would still hit. My thought is that if you (and a buddy or a stationary bot) stood more than 1000m apart, and you fired the laser rifle (targeting by beacon or IFF or otherwise), I'd bet you would successfully hit.

Now, lining up a 1000+m shot in the middle of an intense game, that's probably not so likely, but there is the skill of the sniper to take into consideration.

@below post: oh.

:p

I had tested it on a CTF server before. The enemy had an HoF, and I kept shooting at the enemy flag, scooting closer until I hit.
  • The beam physically stops at 1000 meters, and the raycast used to determine if a target is hit has the same max range.

Woopsy. You were saying Blakhart?
  • The range is determined by serverside code. Nothing I can do about that, or want to. There are serverside scripts that limit the laser range to the fog range, so there's a solution to the _evil_ script. What I would really like to see is maps with visual distance/fog that is rational in 2009; 800 meters or more. Oh but that's too far some say. No one bitches about being able to see the whole map and every enemy player in the game in machine heads, why should they bitch if kata or dangerous crossing is opened to 900 meters? Open the maps up, no one is running 3dfx cards anymore. If you opened the maps up, hm2 and autopoints would be more or less nullified. No one has an advantage, and more tactics would have to be employed. I suppose no one wants to add any more challenge to the game though....
  • Re: 1000m sniper rifle range...

How far away are the flags from eachother on magmatic? I've killed a flag carrier from my flag when he was about to cap at his flag just by aiming at the little icon. Can't remember how far away he was, though.
  • omg u haka!1
  • The beam physically stops at 1000 meters, and the raycast used to determine if a target is hit has the same max range.

You can test this yourself by having a player fire at you from 1001 meters away. The beam will stop just short of you.

Why is it that players never see the end of another player's beam when it is present on their screen?
  • You do. Go test it.

Why is it that players never see the end of another player's beam when it is present on their screen?
    I've seen the ends of beams.