IRC

What server does the ingame IRC (the one under the Chat tab) run on? Is it possible to join with other clients (mIRC, bitchx?)

Comments

• Yes, you can use other clients to connect. In fact, the server hostname has been staring you in the face for a while, it's at the bottom left of the forum pages.
  • Yes, you can use other clients to connect. In fact, the server hostname has been staring you in the face for a while, it's at the bottom left of the forum pages.

Staring? More like burning into my soul. I go to bed at night and all I see are the flaming i's of irc.arloria.net/#Tribes :o
  • That's embarassing.

Thanks turkeh
  • here's a good one...

Downloaded the IRC installer, ran it, it tells me I need the .NET framework!
    I have 3.5 w/ SP1 installed. Any ideas???
  • here's a good one...

Could you be any more vague?
    Which installer?
    What OS? (I'm guessing Vista, based on SP1)
  • Why do we need .net for this?
  • here's a good one...

Delete whatever IRC you have. Go to www.mirc.com and download that. It's not the best client ever but it's easy to use and very popular for windows users, so support is easy to find.
  • Bah! irssi+screen all the way!

I can't think of any IRC client that requires .NET 3.5
  • I use X-Chat 2 compiled for Windows. http://www.silverex.org/
  • I'd recommend Trillian if you are a Windows user and new to IRC.

It is simpler than mIRC.

• Could you be any more vague?
    Which installer?
    What OS? (I'm guessing Vista, based on SP1)
    I could turk... but I've been working on my smart-ass-itude lately. ;)
    The IRC installer: dotIRC.msi.
    Win XP SP3 (I'm allergic to Vista.)
    .NET framework 3.5 w/ SP1 (IRC requires .NET framework 1.5 or newer. Not sure why...)

I was looking for IRC so I could chat with The-Construct folks. Are the aforementioned alternates compatible? I realize that mIRC is...
  • I'd recommend x-chat if you want to join the IRC channel and idle. :)
    If you simply want to join and chat for short periods, you could try some web-based solutions like www.mibbit.com or one of the options on www.arloria.net