Porting Tribes 2 to the upgraded Torque engine?

I'm assuming that the answer to this is a preemptive "no", but I still figured I'd ask:

I don't know all of the issues with T2, and I won't pretend to. I do know a few of them though, and I also know that upgrading the engine definitely could help with some of them. I also realize that even though this is the same engine we're talking about, the upgraded version would probably require quite a bit of tweaking to make sure T2 runs properly with it. Or would it have to basically be rebuilt from the ground up in many ways?

There's also a matter of finances. The engine isn't really expensive, but it's still money. Of course, if porting it is an actual possibility, we could see about getting the community to donate the costs for the engine. I know I'd be happy to help.

Assuming the community is willing to help cover some, or even (probably) all of the costs, the question comes down to whether it would be worth the effort involved in the port?

Here's me wishing...

Comments

• No.

Torque is a horrid, horrid, horrid upgrade. It'd be a downgrade, not an upgrade.
  • Tribes 2 runs on an older version of torque... A newer version would be an upgrade, unless I'm missing something?
  • Newer versions of the Torque engines have new shiney features, yes...but they also have a lot of cruft and would require adaptation to meet the needs of Tribes.
    Not to mention any legal concerns that would come about if the "new" game were to be called Tribes in any manner.
  • Legal concerns... Duh
  • Evidently a lot of features were stripped out of Torque that were in the version of the engine used for T2, so, in many ways, Torque is a downgrade.
  • That's what I wanted to know.

Interestingly enough, on my current computer, I haven't UE'd a single time. Can alt-tab outta T2, switch to windowed mode during the game, and even running duel core. Pretty cool. My primary gripe is the object limit.
  • That's what I wanted to know.

Interestingly enough, on my current computer, I haven't UE'd a single time. Can alt-tab outta T2, switch to windowed mode during the game, and even running duel core. Pretty cool. My primary gripe is the object limit.

What OS?

I tend to UE only when something steals focus from Tribes, whether that's Alt-Tab or an IM popping up and demanding attention.
  • Running on WinXP
  • Yer, ims and such that cause popups are kinda deadly to t2.
  • This is the only post anyone needs to read:
    No.

Torque is a horrid, horrid, horrid upgrade. It'd be a downgrade, not an upgrade.

I guarantee Mr. Keen knows more about this topic than anyone on these forums (unless Byteasc has registered here =P ). You can consider his answer authoritative.
  • Or would it have to basically be rebuilt from the ground up in many ways?

This.
  • Tanks exploding kill my t2, its the only and sure way to get a ue for me.
  • package RemoveTanks
    {
    function StationVehiclePad::onAdd(%this, %obj)
    {
    Parent::onAdd(%this, %obj);
    %obj.assaultVehicle = "Removed";
    if(%obj.ready)
    return
    %obj.ready = true;
    %obj.setRechargeRate(%obj.getDatablock().rechargeRate);
    if($CurrentMissionType $= %obj.missionTypesList || %obj.missionTypesList $="")
    %this.schedule(0, "createStationVehicle", %obj);
    }
    };
    activatepackage(RemoveTanks);
    //ps this is serverside by the way
  • No.

lol
    *rolls eyes*
  • Isnt there a game called "Legands" that uses the upgraded Torque engine, and theres also one by RenWorx if i spelled it right.
  • Yes, Legends uses the Torque Game Engine, as does Ascension (renwerx), and so does Legions...none of which have quite the same feel as Tribes 2.
  • Yes, Legends uses the Torque Game Engine, as does Ascension (renwerx), and so does Legions...none of which have quite the same feel as Tribes 2.
    Correction:
    Legends uses the Torque Game Engine (TGE).
    Ascension (by RenWerX) uses the Torque Game Engine Advanced (TGEA), the TGE replacement.
    Legions is built on GG's in-house version of TGEA.

Legends has nice Tribes-like physics. I don't know about Legions.

Ascension, well, I don't think there are many people that know....right now I'd say the 5 developers that tested the new build last night, but probably not anyone else.
  • Legions uses the unreal engine, like T:V.

You must have missed my post right above yours.

In case you just don't believe me, I'll provide you with a source:
    http://www.legionsplayers.com/articles/faq/

You must have missed my post right above yours.

In case you just don't believe me, I'll provide you with a source:
    http://www.legionsplayers.com/articles/faq/
    Yeah, I didn't see your post.
  • edited February 2009
    There's already a high-res player texture pack out and lord knows the game's moddable enough, why not just make some more highres packs and add in some more eye candy particles?

[edit]

And while we're at it just force everyone's brightness up to maximum, call it Bloom, and they'll think they're playing TF2 or FF in the future.
  • There's already a high-res player texture pack out and lord knows the game's moddable enough, why not just make some more highres packs and add in some more eye candy particles?

[edit]

And while we're at it just force everyone's brightness up to maximum, call it Bloom, and they'll think they're playing TF2 or FF in the future.

Sure, you could do that for awhile, but eventually you'll be stopped by engine limitations.
  • why don't more people play legends? i used to play it alot and it's an awesome game. i would still play legends if there were ever any players on there. i downloaded it again in january because i missed tribes and i've only seen 2 people on there since then.
    i used to have vengeance but lost my keycode and i can't install it since i had to reinstall my os. but i would still be playing vengeance also.
  • why don't more people play legends?
    I thought they died...
    And, probably because it wasn't enough like Tribes 2 ::)
    i would still be playing vengeance also.
    Heresy!
  • just looked at Legends, and omg, Tribes 2 has better graphics, lmfao :-)
  • I liked Legends. =(
  • T:V was the one on the Unreal engine.
  • I could do with higher-quality/res textures for T2, especially the grassy terrains that really don't have good gradients (hey if I'm going to be kissing the ground every twelve seconds...). Higher-res player models or weapon effects or fancy lighting is just eye candy and likely bloat. Sure it might look cool, but that's not why we play T2.
  • Evidently a lot of features were stripped out of Torque that were in the version of the engine used for T2, so, in many ways, Torque is a downgrade.
    Miles = replaced by OpenAL
    WON = removed, could be replaced
    Immersion = did anyone use this?

As far as scripting goes they consolidated most of the GUI controls. A move to TGEA would give us new eye candy, future upgrade possibilities, and years of scripting goodies developed since T2's release not possible with the current engine.