Tribes 2 Intro - Special codec needed?

I have a video at ~/GameData/base/textures/T2IntroC15.avi that I'm fairly sure constitutes the intro movie played when starting T2. However, it's not... right. Looks to me that the red and green channels, and sound, are completely missing when attempting to play it with Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, and GOM Player.

Is this the actual file used for the intro? And if so, how can I get it back to the quality it is in-game (sound is not essential) for use in another video? Basically I'm looking to use the intro as part of a very work-in-progress T2 vid.

[EDIT] Just ran it through the players again. Colors are dominantly blue, but there is evidence of another base color, as when the flag runner grabs the flag, his jets do have some color to them, as well as the sky not being completely blue. I'd like the red color scheme back, though.

Comments

• Media stream says cvid codec, but the container is a bit funky. All of the colors are there, but blue and red are flipped. I couldn't get sound via VLC.
  • When I get home I'll run it through some stuff I've got. It's probably an AVI that's got some weird ass codec. Don't know why they didn't just use a Bink file like everything else.
  • Just had a thought. Someone can download the RAD video game tools and see if it can be opened with that.
  • I'll see if maybe RAD can do something with it.
    I know Tribes 1 used Smacker (Bink's counterpart) for the intro.

[Edit] Okay, RAD notes that there is no audio track (does that mean it'll be in audio.vl2?), and attempts to Bink or Smack it still have the red/blue switch problem.
    This is really wierd... I mean somehow it has to display it correctly, and with sound, for the actual intro.

[Also Edit] Just dove audio.vl2, and there's T2Intro.wav right in the top. So it probably does split the video from audio. The question, then, is if the video's just having an issue with flipping red and blue, can we flip it back?
  • The red and blue is not by design. Something is lacking in the AVI playback, its probably some kind of filter that the T2 engine uses or they added some kind of proprietary crap to the AVI codec.

Next time I talk to Gareth von Kallenbach I'll ask him if he knows what they did to it.
  • Seems like Vixy would be the easiest way to go about this.
  • It use to work once downloading the divx drivers. It's been a long time though, so my memory could just be failing me ;)
  • If the colors are just off can't you just load it up in a player that lets you edit Hue/Sat while the vid's going and play with that?
  • Not what I'm aiming at. I'm aiming at using the video as part of another video (a very work-in-progress T2 vid), and need the colors corrected at the source if possible.
  • Not what I'm aiming at. I'm aiming at using the video as part of another video (a very work-in-progress T2 vid), and need the colors corrected at the source if possible.

Like I said... I got it to work just fine ripping off Youtube. Just use Vixy or any of the Numerous Youtube rippers/FLV-->AVI converters.
  • It plays fine for me with DivX installed. www.divx.com
  • You could always dump out bitmaps, use something like ImageMagick to mass convert the images from BGR to RGB too, then reassemble into a video.
  • I'll do the bitmap approach.

Thanks!