Mapping Contest?

edited February 2009 in General Discussion
A few players have brought up the idea of a mapping contest. What does everyone think of a mapping contest?

Current policies decided on:
  • No map mods. This means no custom weapons or vehicles or anything like that in a map. Forcefields and vehicle/max turret mods are allowed.
  • The maps must be serverside.
  • One submission per person. If multiple missions are submitted, the last mission submitted will be judged.
  • Your map must be original except for the serverside elements. This means you cannot re-make a dynamix map, etc
  • The map must be compatible and made for classic or base. This may change next map contest.
  • The map must be CTF-gametype.

Comments

• Mapping contest is a great idea Eolk! Btw, congrats on the promotion bro. If you need help judging let me know.
  • Mapping contest is a great idea Eolk! Btw, congrats on the promotion bro. If you need help judging let me know.
    Thanks. I can't take credit for coming up with the idea of a mapping contest, though. It was Alviss' idea.
  • edited February 2009
    Mapping contest is a great idea Eolk! Btw, congrats on the promotion bro. If you need help judging let me know.
    Thanks. I can't take credit for coming up with the idea of a mapping contest, though. It was Alviss' idea.

Alviss rules.
  • Great idea.
  • A good idea in theory. However, it could easily be ruined if the judging criteria is totally dumb. Are the judges going to be newbs or non-newbs? Because that will completely change the types of maps that will do well.
  • I'm gonna re-color Thin Ice and add 3 more vehicle pads, maybe some random oversized statues, oh and a giant stretched out wall in the middle of the map and throw 1 mortar turret on top of this wall for every 20 meters. I have a feeling I'm gonna win this sh*t hands down.
  • A good idea in theory. However, it could easily be ruined if the judging criteria is totally dumb. Are the judges going to be newbs or non-newbs? Because that will completely change the types of maps that will do well.

I nominate you to be a judge. And no that's not sarcasm, I really do think we need someone with differing opinions on the judging panel so it will be balanced.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=648.msg6808#msg6808 date=1235146207]
    A good idea in theory. However, it could easily be ruined if the judging criteria is totally dumb. Are the judges going to be newbs or non-newbs? Because that will completely change the types of maps that will do well.

I nominate you to be a judge. And no that's not sarcasm, I really do think we need someone with differing opinions on the judging panel so it will be balanced.
    [/quote]

lol his opinions aren't different. but with TribesNext, a lot of people who never competed now have the capability to speak on the forums without needing to know of any other websites out there that may host ladders for competitions and who choose what maps are appropriate for competition. Kryand's opinions are no different than any other person out there who was into competing in CTF on the TWL when the game was still kicking.
  • Are you crazy kryand would be perfect for this after all he is the Michael Jordan of tribes :D
  • Kryand's comments notwithstanding, judge's should have all sorts of backgrounds. Kryand and similar people could be around for "balance, tournament play" maps, while others could be around to judge the overall "playability" and fun factor of the map.

While he'd surely consider me a newb, I'm not new to gaming by any means and am perfectly qualified to judge "fun".

Plus, maps being serverside means rehashing of the same old terrain files, thus making "competitive, balanced down to the pixel" maps a pain in the ass and will likely yield less submissions overall, thus killing the contest.

This contest is for fun, so let's have fun with it.
  • Being the TribalAuthority I am, I should probably be the sole judge.
  • Actually, I think doing client side maps might be a good idea... Think about it:

Since TN is now the "official" source for Tribes 2, any TN patches released in the future could plug in additional maps. With some mapping contests, we could possibly get some new and interesting maps into the game. At the very worst, the site could feature a pack with the better maps thrown together into it.
  • Actually, I think doing client side maps might be a good idea... Think about it:

Since TN is now the "official" source for Tribes 2, any TN patches released in the future could plug in additional maps. With some mapping contests, we could possibly get some new and interesting maps into the game. At the very worst, the site could feature a pack with the better maps thrown together into it.

A motion has been made, I second that motion.
    This is an excellent Idea. Tribes 2 could use some excellent new turf.
  • FFS DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO KEEP FPS HIGH IN UR MAPS OMGWTF MAP RIGHT OR DONT MAP AT ALL

seriously
  • We need both large maps and small close quarters maps, I was thinking maybe we should divide each category into number of players first.

Categories:

8-16 players

16-32

32-64

Then break it down from there as to what gametype in each category, since for example a vehicle capture the flag map would be no good in the eight to sixteen category.

But the community needs to decide by what criteria to judge each map.
  • edited February 2009
    Playability: Are the teams' bases similar? Do all of the assets work properly? Are the assets placed in areas that make sense? Is the terrain on the map designed well for the map's purpose? Is the visibility appropriate? These are all extremely important things, and are the primary issues to consider in a map.

Appearance: Did the designer make the map attractive? Does it look too sparse? If it uses custom shapes and textures, how attractive/appropriate are they?

Uniqueness: Did the designer put an effort into their map to make it stand out in some way? How well is this implemented? Many maps feel like they're the same thing, rehashed again and again. Interesting map features really make a map stand out among the crowd, but they have to be implemented well. Of course, sometimes the unique features are also what breaks a map.

Anything else?

Edit:

Also, I think individual contests for the different gameplay modes might be best. CTF is the most common mode, sure, but it's nice to see someone remembering that there are other game types out there. Heck, I think an occasional single player/coop map context would be really awesome, and it might help encourage mappers to come up with new ideas.
  • Since I am a mapper, it's probably better if I am not also a judge.
  • I could agree with that, but for a completely different reason.

First map pack should be called, "Now with 37% less Kryand!"

:D
  • C'mon WiiMote, don't cast the first stone here.
  • edited February 2009
    :P

Despite his bias, he might be appropriate as a judge. It would be interesting to see the differing opinions. And if he's judging, the name of the map pack would even be fitting!

Honestly though, variety is a good thing. If Kryand doesn't make a map, I'll toss up my vote for him as a judge. Although, if he has experience in mapping, I'd love to see him do that instead. Especially if it's client side.
  • I just want to know if I should make an actual good map, or a map with gigantic underground bases consisting of every interior in the game, six different capturable bases spread across the 5000x5000m mission area, un-ski-able and half-submerged terrain, and five self-powered V-pads at every base.
  • Well, the obvious answer would be to make what you want. If you want a map where the flag stands are twelve meters apart, by all means.
  • And this noob would give a big thumbs down to both of those maps. Exaggeration and hyperbole are definitely not in short supply on this forum.
  • I've seen a good map with the flags, literally, just a few meters apart. They were separated by a large wall that was something like 500 meters high, and it stretched to either end of the map. Honestly, of course, this isn't what I was referring to.

I've never, however, seen a map that was five kilometers squared, with every single base available in the game somewhere on it.
  • The map proposed sounds like a benchmark for occlusion culling.
  • Should we have a "theme" set for the competition? Maybe quick, open maps, or maps with entrenched defense or big bases? Spawn-only theme? Dark theme?
  • I don't think so. A themed map might be fun for the holidays or something, but I think just giving the mappers freedom on this one is the best idea. Since it's a first time contest, we should keep it fairly simple. Just a CTF map, client side or server side, doesn't matter.

Keeping it server side obviously has it's benefits. But client side map contests will encourage more terrains and imagination.
  • I think we're gonna keep this one server-side until the next mapping contest, which we can do client-side.
  • Yes, baby steps.
  • You're right... I'm being too much of a hopeful idealist.