Open Response to a PM Regarding "Cheaters on Goon Haven"

I received the following message from The | Sniper and wish to answer for all to see so that I can stop getting messages like this:

to much cheaters now, people using auto points and x200 sniper zoom and no fog. I have been playing this game a very long time was pro on twl for 4 years hold all the top sniper records so i know when i see a cheat. As it stands our tribe is over 20 members and we will not be playing in your server anymore or atleast untill you remove team damage and get rid of the cheaters.

I was told auto points is not considered a cheat wich to me is utter stupidity it tells you where everyone is no matter what and this is why i have people sniping at me and i cant even see them its just a beam comming through the fog and no way for me to fire back cuz there shooting at a waypoint.

There are over 300 members of my ts community now and ALOT play tribes unless you do somthing about these cheats you will find tribes will die cuz alot of the good players are telling me they dont even wana play now cuz of this junk. So i hope that what i have told you here registers because as it stands we wont be comming back untill this is adressed or HV gets more players.

* There is no built-in cheat detection in TribesNext. Thyth/Krash are working on one in future releases, but at this time there is nothing I can do about said cheats.

* I have made no statements re: "auto points". This is hearsay unless you tell me which admin said it here, then he can say his peace.

* None of your complaints have a thing to do with team damage. Early on in Goon Haven's life, the people asked for team damage. It is staying on the server, it requires different tactics and placement of your shots. There are plenty of alternative servers to play on (including Houston Vehicles) that do not have team damage.

* Goon Haven will not make or break the TribesNext community. Once the client has an active anti-cheat agent, that will save it. I cannot wave a wand and detect cheaters. Plenty of people have accused you (The | Sniper) of being a cheater as well, yet I have no taken action against you as there is no proof.

We can have an open discourse as to how servers can prevent certain script packages or detect cheaters, but other than word of mouth I ask how else can cheaters be prevented. Goon Haven is just one server... regardless of where people play cheaters will exist.

Comments

• Basically he's just a whiny scrub. I was in the server when he threw his temper tantrum an hour or 2 ago, and basically someone was just chaingunning him a lot while he tried to stand still and snipe, and continued to do it every time The Sniper went to the exact same place to stand still and snipe some more. It's possible that the player had The Sniper waypointed, because he seemed pretty adamant about taunting him after every kill, but there really is no evidence toward auto-points or any form of cheat whatsoever. The Sniper is just mad that he got owned.

[/full story]
  • Basically he's just a whiny scrub. I was in the server when he threw his temper tantrum an hour or 2 ago, and basically someone was just chaingunning him a lot while he tried to stand still and snipe, and continued to do it every time The Sniper went to the exact same place to stand still and snipe some more. It's possible that the player had The Sniper waypointed, because he seemed pretty adamant about taunting him after every kill, but there really is no evidence toward auto-points or any form of cheat whatsoever. The Sniper is just mad that he got owned.

[/full story]
    yep, i was there too. the sniper is a really crappy player (and ironically, a very bad sniper), and wouldn't know a cheat if it sodomized his mom
  • autopoints is twl legal. YOu'd think with all of "the | snipers" allege records and pro-ness on TWL that he'd know that.
  • This isn't a thread to discredit The | Sniper.

It's a thread to discuss the issue of cheaters on Goon Haven.

Personally, i think they suck. But we'll see their worth once the anti-cheating is implemented.

Although, i don't think theres a lot that can be done about Auto-Points, since it is a normal function of the game; to send clients the locations of players once they enter sensor range so it can be handled by the CC, and a little red man appears on the map.
  • i haven't noticed any blatant cheating on the goons server. rest assured, if anyone is cheating, they are probably way too terrible to have any sort of impact on the game
  • I just want to say. Who ever is a cheater, even if we don't find out who you are. Just know that you are a complete looser. I mean, I find it that you must be a complete life-less freak that all they do is try to win on a game. Just saying, everyone that cheats you might be getting away from it but in reality...you suck.
  • autopoints is twl legal. YOu'd think with all of "the | snipers" allege records and pro-ness on TWL that he'd know that.

This was my first thought.

My second was that I had to warn this same guy awhile back because he flipped out and had a tantrum in the middle of a match (I need to double-check the logs, but I'm 99% sure).
    ---
    I haven't been around much the last week (desktop exploded), but in all my time on GH, I've never seen anyone cheating (at least not enough to notice).
    ---
    PROTIP: If you are a llama and find vets killing you, instead of accusing everyone of cheating, calm down and come back later. We'll spend less time laughing at you that way.
  • Who unlatched the kiddie pen?
  • I haven't seen anything on GH that screamed "CHEATERS"! I've seen TK'ers, I've seen some obnoxious, assinine behaviour from time to time, but I have not seen anything that looked like cheating.
  • Who unlatched the kiddie pen?

I think the goats got loose.
  • edited February 2009
    Yes I am sure there are some people that may use some not so legit scripts after all this game has been around for along time. With that being said calling someone a cheater without any proof such as a recording or some type of valid proof just does more harm than good.It is crazy to go on a cheater witch hunt really anybody that has to use cheats nowadays really needs to get over themselves whats the point.I kinda laugh at it now,If you see someone you think is cheating record it send it to an admin and let them deal with it the way they see fit.
  • Good point by blindkilla - everyone should have recordings so that they can send them to an admin if needed.
  • It is crazy to go on a cheater witch hunt really anybody that has to use cheats nowadays really needs to get over themselves whats the point.I kinda laugh at it now,If you see someone you think is cheating record it send it to an admin and let them deal with it the way they see fit.

Amen
  • Yea let's see some .recs.
  • edited February 2009
    I'll be short.

Perhaps It's me ..............................................(doubt it, dont try It!!)

How many Players that AINT admin score over 150 points on GooN?
  • wtf are points
  • My feelings on so called cheats, I don't think they're cheaters but Peeps with super good vision on Super fast PCs.
    We that have played this game for awhile know that every now and then one of those Super PC Eyed players shows up and kicks all buts one on one. What I try is to blow them up with satchels and mortars and best is Shock up the AZZ. Wahooooooo.
    Just Have Fun At It.
  • How many Players that AINT admin score over 150 points on GooN?
    Are you implying that the admins cheat? :(
  • I'll be short.

Perhaps It's me ..............................................(doubt it, dont try It!!)

Really?

My .recs pause at the score screen, so if you want evidence from 100s of games, you can dig through them. Also, I can't help that my HOing + FC kills on maps like Rollercoaster earn me 400 points.
  • I'll be short.

Um, most? Many of the active admins have been playing Tribes for a long time, but the general populace still far outnumbers my admins... while at the same time those people maintain high scores (which you can achieve by bombing people as well). Did you have anything to back up your claim or are you just a troll trying to stir the pot?

Not a single admin has been accused of cheating. Are you going to be the first, sir? Make sure you bring proof... which is what this thread is about. I'd ban theJuice, who is my brother, if he were caught cheating. I don't tolerate it when there is proof.
  • I don't cheat and usually glean a very nice score on Goon Haven!
  • I've seen shit that screams cheater on Goon Haven, two players in particular:

tmann
    ZoSo

Both have sniped me while I'm cloaked. tmann took two shots and killed me and my cousin out with a rifle when we were standing still under his team's vpad, cloaked. Zoso gets 60 headshots after joining for one map. Not even the almighty projectile can pull that one off unless he really tries.
  • Also, if it wasn't a dead give away that they cheat because they snipe cloakers...it should be obvious that they are pro with the rifle in comparison to any other weapon, and even movement for that matter. You go to approach ZoSo or tmann and fight them and they either run away (and very poorly at that) or they try to fight you and they can't even lift theirself off the ground. These morons don't even know how to ski, or jet properly.
  • Any chance anyone has recordings?
  • I've seen shit that screams cheater on Goon Haven, two players in particular:

tmann
    ZoSo

Both have sniped me while I'm cloaked. tmann took two shots and killed me and my cousin out with a rifle when we were standing still under his team's vpad, cloaked. Zoso gets 60 headshots after joining for one map. Not even the almighty projectile can pull that one off unless he really tries.
    This is what I am talking about there could be any number of reasons why they sniped you who knows I wasnt there,Do you have any proof of them cheating but some gut feeling?Just because they may suck at dueling doesnt mean they cheat.get some recordings of them tell an admin to watch the guy or something.Dont go badmouthing someone without any proof just because they killed you.
    I could say the same about you after seeing your post about you getting banned from TWL for posting links to hm2 and hacking.I will give you the benefit of the doubt though because I have not seen any proof of this.You might wanna think of doing the same until you can give some evidence otherwise.Whats that saying screenshot or It didnt happen. Maybe in this case recording or it didnt happen.
  • The moral of this hole thing is...DON'T ACCUSE ANYONE UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOFS AND OR BACKUP.
    Every time I join the Goon Haven server there is nothing wrong at all. No cheaters, team killers, and such. I don't know if I am just blind or people are just taking some mistake done by players seriously? Sadly I had to view this in the Goon Haven server: A player in my team grabbed the flag, and pass it to me before he died. Our team was ahead. And he by mistake team killed ONCE, and then he just kept dying. And then people voted to kick him just because he had a negative score. Believe it or not they said "He has a negative score kick him".
  • Sniping cloakers is difficult and takes a good deal of luck, but not impossible, especially for an accomplished marksman. Not saying either way on whether those two cheat or not, but I'd like to throw it out there that it's possible to do without cheating.

Also, I think I've gotten at least in the higher fourties for headshots on a map like Blastside/Broadside if not into the 50's or 60's. Get there at the start of the match, and start pot-shotting everyone that stands still for more than a half second. It's doable.
  • Just a dumb question; but could there have been motion sensors near or on the v-pad? I know whenever I'm playing and get zapped once by a cloaker, I farm as many motion sensors as possible. Maybe someone had a sensor jammer pack and it lit you up, point is you have no recording.
  • ^^ hows it goin dun dunna....i remember u from RD.

neways. i wish i held all the best sniper records like he does lmao.....

this kid is a certified scrub.
  • Sniping cloakers isn't difficult, neither is getting 50-60 headshots.