You know what really chaps my ass?

Watching a light hop in the TG seat of a bomber, only to bail halfway across the map in the middle of nowhere.

When people attempt to O-snipe the HoF.

When cloakers lance the v-pad, while anyone with enough sense to know to use the sensor jammer instead also know they have better things to do.

What're the most hilarious things you see happen in pubs? I wanna hear some heart-wrenching stories, folks.

Comments

• Seeing 7 lights all standing around next to an inv waiting for the repair-man to repair it... and shooting a mortar in there.

Damn DX is awesome.
  • Shield-pack tailgunners who throw whiteouts.

And I thought I've seen it all.
  • When you see a bunch of people controlling the turrets the whole map.

When no one wants to repair, they just stand there waiting for some one to repair.

When your someone decides to change all base turrets to mortar.

When your team dominates offensively but no one gets the flag.

When people defend the flag with the Jericho and three tanks and you get no support from your team to get the flag.

The llama v-pad sniper.

When half of your team are newbie snipers waiting at the base for some one to snipe.

When you get the angry newbie in your team that TK everything before leaving the server.

;D
  • Chaps;

People who teamkill, cheat, grief, and otherwise engage in counter-community behavior in a 'dying' game. There's like, two hundred players. Don't piss -anyone- into not playing.

People who actually consider it a dying game, and yet take for granted it will be here next month. Either think its dying and perform some CPR (Community, Promotion and Recruiting) or insist its perfectly healthy and invite all your friends to the party.

Minedisking. Go on, call me a scrub. I can't fly fifty meters without spotting a mine thrown or left carelessly in random places around the map. I actually liked the arming delays in base. I seem to recall when I first realized there was a delay celebrating the decision of Dynamix.

Cntr-K doesn't cause a respawn delay. While I know this is used by competitive players when they realize they've gone way off the beaten path to quickly correct their mistake, I'd prefer the 'hardcore' mode of learning not to go off the path in the first place.

Tickles;

Watching V2 and Classic players rip their throats out. Its a nerd ragegasm!

Dealing more damage with the shocklance than others manage with the plasma, grenade, ect.

Playing midfield with a cloak pack and stopping a dozen HO runs with a lance in the back, only to be called a skilless noob. "What do you think this is, team deathmatch?"

Sufficiently annoying them to the point they actually engage in duels with me rather than attack my base.
  • Plasma usually chaps my ass. ;)
  • When theres a cloaker around your base, and you tell your team. Then after a few minutes when youve died, hes still running around......and then it happens again.
  • When your team dominates offensively but no one gets the flag.

Oooooo! I saw this happen on goons last night. one of those maps with an open flag and very rapable base. 40 people in the server and *no one* was at our base. I respawned after a while and sat completely alone at my base for a few minutes before a single light flew off with our flag. I'd spent the entire round farming, and then switched to HOing the gens, which is apparently what everyone else was doing too, because the enemy gens were constantly down, except nobody was going for their flag. they capped out in probably 15 minutes. really funny to see on a server that large.
  • edited March 2009
    The llama v-pad sniper.

*Waves* :)

But in all seriousness, it can be a very good disruptive tactic, especially if you keep track who the cappers are and potshot them a lot. Not to mention that to really do it right, you have to be a good shot at moving targets, so you can finish the people off when they try and run waiting for their veh to spawn. And oh my God last night on Goon's was the best. I happened to setup my snipe point right next to an experienced tank team, and they handled all the people that tried to kill me while I was sniping *evil grin*

Mine discing is the only thing that twerks me right now. It barely makes any sense to have happen, and I think clashes with original game design. Very few things in base are allowed to kill someone before they can react, and with the exception of mortar rounds, they all need a considerable level of skill or luck to pull off (timed grenade throws, vehicle ramming, back lances, creatively placed sets of mines). And with the weapon ones, they all restrict your loadout, lance takes up one of the precious few weapon slots on a light, holding grenades means you're not holding flares, and having a mortar means you're a big slow heavy. I don't like mine discing because it's all the power of the before mentioned tactics, with much less skill requirement and no detriment to the player's loadout. That's what we call overpowered folks.
  • The llama v-pad sniper.

Mine discing is the only thing that twerks me right now. It barely makes any sense to have happen, and I think clashes with original game design. Very few things in base are allowed to kill someone before they can react, and with the exception of mortar rounds, they all need a considerable level of skill or luck to pull off (timed grenade throws, vehicle ramming, back lances, creatively placed sets of mines). And with the weapon ones, they all restrict your loadout, lance takes up one of the precious few weapon slots on a light, holding grenades means you're not holding flares, and having a mortar means you're a big slow heavy. I don't like mine discing because it's all the power of the before mentioned tactics, with much less skill requirement and no detriment to the player's loadout. That's what we call overpowered folks.
    it's not overpowered at all. without it, capping would be overpowered. it's a needed addition to be able to more effectively stop cappers in classic. if you want to talk overpowered, the chaingun is by far the most overpowered weapon; however, the cg takes a lot of skill to use well. If you want to talk overpowered in terms of ease of use vs. amount of damage it can inflict and overall effectiveness, it's without a doubt the grenade launcher.
  • edited March 2009
    Dangerous Crossing Map:
    A bunch waiting for the inventory station closest to the flag to be fixed or even trying to fix it, while being BRed and having more than one teammate standing on the hill, bombing their ass with mortar. Because they aint stopping the flag from being takin. The BRer are just killin them and the inventory station on the way in to get the flag. Running behind their backs even. And let's not forget that this is Tribes2(1) online therefore the person trying to fix the inventory station might be taking his sweetass time and/or even be blocking; Playing two tribes/ two computers And doing the damn base Raping!!!

If their teammates are dumping mortar on them, then I would guess the other inventory station has a REPAIRMAN next to it. Or at least is up "enuff" to get the mortar in the first place.
  • One thats becoming more & more common...
    TK'ing your teams flag runner so you can snap up the flag and make the score.....

And I anticipate at least one response from this post.....
  • it's not overpowered at all. without it, capping would be overpowered. it's a needed addition to be able to more effectively stop cappers in classic.

I am interested in hearing this point elaborated upon. In my experience, cappers are stopped with an effective midfield disrupting the approach, point defense on the flag, and light defense and midfielders chasing down the capper. Minedisking as I understand it (throwing a mine and shooting it with the disclauncher to instantly kill a light) isn't nessicary at any point, as two good hits on a runner with a disc launcher is certainly possible between the midfield, point and chase defenders. Perhaps I do not fully understand how minedisking works in flag defense or am otherwise a scrub. Please enlighten me.
  • I assume he's mostly talking about competition, where you don't get two chances to kill a capper.
  • edited March 2009
    It chaps my ass that competition and casual play are on the same mod and server.

-EDIT- And in afterthought, there's not much to do to solve this problem, although I feel we should.
    TK'ing your teams flag runner so you can snap up the flag and make the score.....

+1

mystic_1
  • I assume he's mostly talking about competition, where you don't get two chances to kill a capper.

Even if he is, I'm still calling crap on that, unless you can explain how classic changed play so much from base that cappers move at mach ten and never get intercepted by anyone after the D's first shot at them. I played in competition on base for a while, and even versus good cappers taking carefully planned ski routes, there's multiple times where they're open to rifle shots. And it only takes two good hits to take out the capper.

Ok, wow. Dude... i even told you this in-game, but clearly you were too busy bitching.

I saw you coming in with low health, a sliver if i remember correctly. You were coming up the ramp quickly, and i didn't think you'd miss that mine directly at the flag stand on the crest of the ramp. I was SURE you were gunna get nuked by it, so i stepped back, and shot the mine (to save you no less), and as i was shooting, you came through the door-way and were killed in the resulting explosion.

I didn't even capture the flag, i was pushed out by the explosion. It was the other fellow at the flag-stand.

I already said i was sorry, and it was an unfortunate judgement error. Now i ask that you kindly, wipe the tears from your eyes and get on with your life.
  • it's not overpowered at all. without it, capping would be overpowered. it's a needed addition to be able to more effectively stop cappers in classic.

I am interested in hearing this point elaborated upon. In my experience, cappers are stopped with an effective midfield disrupting the approach, point defense on the flag, and light defense and midfielders chasing down the capper. Minedisking as I understand it (throwing a mine and shooting it with the disclauncher to instantly kill a light) isn't nessicary at any point, as two good hits on a runner with a disc launcher is certainly possible between the midfield, point and chase defenders. Perhaps I do not fully understand how minedisking works in flag defense or am otherwise a scrub. Please enlighten me.
    well first, i am talking mainly about competition, but the same holds true (to a lesser extent) in higher level pubs or pickups.
    second, it really depends if you're talking 14 man or 7 man (the two most popular ladders when they were around). 14 man places a much higher emphasis on chasing ld and ld off the flag stand (a light on flag or lof is expected to stop cappers when there's not much pressure, but he's usually more of a pincushion for enemies to focus fire on so they don't shoot the chasing ld as much). Still, I wouldn't consider ld chasers "midfield," since they are generally pretty close to the flag (just not right ON the flagstand).
    in 7 man, mine discing is key, since the most important ld on your team is going to be the lof, and the main way of stopping cappers on the flagstand is by mine discing
    the problem with hitting a capper with two discs or whatever else you have is exactly that: against any good capper, you're never going to be able to do that with any consistency, and it's not always easy or practical to find out which of his 6 routes on each map he's headed out on. even from a very technical standpoint, it's much easier to shoot a capper when you're directly behind him than when he's flying over your head midfield (the snipes can be very difficult to hit with any regularity)
  • I love MAing the flag carrier right before they reach the stand and stealing their caps. Always generates some kind of WTF, and they're cool with it.
  • edited March 2009
    I assume he's mostly talking about competition, where you don't get two chances to kill a capper.

Even if he is, I'm still calling crap on that, unless you can explain how classic changed play so much from base that cappers move at mach ten and never get intercepted by anyone after the D's first shot at them. I played in competition on base for a while, and even versus good cappers taking carefully planned ski routes, there's multiple times where they're open to rifle shots. And it only takes two good hits to take out the capper.
    that's actually the main difference between playing ld on base and base++ vs. playing ld on classic. The midfield is much more opened up and nobody really plays true midfield in classic, whereas midfield in base was extremely important. It's actually beneficial to NOT head back to your flag or ctrl k in base, and instead midfield the flag, because it's extremely easy to intercept the (very) slow cappers. I used to almost never kill myself in base or base++ when i was playing ld, I would just start going back to my base and if they grabbed again, i'd midfield it.
    in classic, that doesn't really work. the cap routes really are that much faster and more elusive. Most of the time, you're not going to be able to successfully intercept a capper midfield, much less kill them from full health. Even if you hit with some consistency from midfield, think about this: which is being more useful, a midfielder who can, with some consistency, snipe or chain a capper down a certain amount of health, or ld closer to the base, who not only help the rest of the defense with the rest of the enemy team's offense, but will almost always have a better chasing and sniping angle on any capper, in addition to the fact that they are often in position to bb or mine disc the capper so they can't even get off the stand?
  • there will never be a thread on these forums that's not about comp strategies.
  • there will never be a thread on these forums that's not about comp strategies.
    Why is that a problem? Is it a bad thing that we are trying to give people high level advice and hopefully make them better players?
  • It's the "be as good as us at this game or gtfo" attitude. Though it has toned down as of late.
  • The Raging Inferno could use a few more threads... lol
    Why is that a problem? Is it a bad thing that we are trying to give people high level advice and hopefully make them better players?
    anyone who needs any of this advice is probably too busy actually playing the game to read any of it.
  • what really chaps my ass

when my underwear is to tight and my boys have no room to relax. thats why I only wear boxers now.
  • When you set up base defence (gen duty), which involves a small mine field. Only to watch a noob plow threw.
  • When you set up base defence (gen duty), which involves a small mine field. Only to
    watch a noob plow threw.
    Yeah, it always sucks to see teammates step on ALL of the mines that you placed, even when you mark them with beacons. No, they don't destroy just a few, they hit ALL of them, die, and you lose ten points and have to re-deploy them all.
  • what really chaps my ass

when my underwear is to tight and my boys have no room to relax. thats why I only wear boxers now.

A fresh pack of briefs is like the greatest feeling on earth for my stones.