Open Response to a PM Regarding "Cheaters on Goon Haven"

Comments

• the problem with identifying so called "cheaters" is that the playing field is incredibly uneven. even if you get a .rec of some guy sniping you 90% of the time, he could suck compared to another good player. and on goon haven there isn't a lot of exposure to good players and i don't know how noobs would differ a legit good player vs a cheating one. just to brag :} i had an average of 800 points over about 10 maps last night just messing around so i dont know what your "150 points is high" argument is about.

and wth is being "pro" at T2 and holding the top records? i highly doubt that the guy THESNIPER is talking about is cheating...
    i mean, he wants to remove team damage...pretty much eliminates his validity right there
  • ^^ hows it goin dun dunna....i remember u from RD.

neways. i wish i held all the best sniper records like he does lmao.....

this kid is a certified scrub.

VGH, VGRD, VSAA, VSAF... VGCR!!! 8)

I know you can translate all that! :D

• VGH, VGRD, VSAA, VSAF... VGCR!!! 8)

I know you can translate all that! :D
    hi, i dont know, (idunno)(idunno) you rock.
  • Nah you guys are right. tmann sniping cloakers, getting 60-80 headshots a game, a guy who randomly comes out of the woodwork when TribesNext launched some two months ago...I really should give him the benefit of the doubt. He's probably just a fast learner, and he's probably so obsessed with the rifle and becoming good at it, that's why he's better at aiming and sniping someone in their tiny head with a tiny laser than he is shooting someone with a spinfusor, a chaingun, or even an ELF.
  • Sniping cloakers isn't difficult, neither is getting 50-60 headshots.
    umm, getting 50-60 headshots in a 30 minute map is very difficult for even a very good player to do, let alone most of the newbies that are playing. i've sniped for entire maps with some of the best snipers in the game like darkstrand, kmz, meyog, and nevares, and i don't think i've ever seen them get that many headshots in a 30 minute timespan. I'm definitely one of the best at it, and I think I usually max out in the 30s somewhere. Granted, this is assuming you're not shooting a motionless or afk heavy repeatedly, which is stupid.
    also, remember that headshots are carried over from map to map, so when you see someone with 60+ headshots, it's probably from multiple maps.
  • wow did someone pee in your cheerios this fine day.First off who knows how long this guy has been playing to begin with he could have went by another name years ago.I know I have kept the same name I have been using for years because I have been using it for years and In other games.Maybe this guy didnt and changed his who the hell knows you dont.So he sucks at dueling and all he does is snipe so what.I see people on servers that pretty much just snipe all the time also.Hell I know a guy all he does is play heavy sucks at evey other class cant fly a shrike to save his life or even a havoc for that matter. But he is a dam good mortar shot and deadly with a spinfuser probably the best dam HOF I have ever seen does that make him a cheat f..k no.

Dont come in saying people of cheating just because they killed you.What if I said you were using HM2 because you posted links of it on the twl fourm and got banned there for hacking hmmm.Dont slander someones name if you dont have the proof.So he killed you its gonna happen again many times so get the f..k over it. ;D
  • haha tmann just got banned from branzone central for killing cloakers ;o
    whether it is valid or not, i don't know but he pissed off some cloakers with admin
  • I think everyone missed the point of this thread. I believe we're supposed to be talking about how The|Sniper is a turd.
  • Sniping cloakers isn't difficult, neither is getting 50-60 headshots.
    umm, getting 50-60 headshots in a 30 minute map is very difficult for even a very good player to do, let alone most of the newbies that are playing. i've sniped for entire maps with some of the best snipers in the game like darkstrand, kmz, meyog, and nevares, and i don't think i've ever seen them get that many headshots in a 30 minute timespan. I'm definitely one of the best at it, and I think I usually max out in the 30s somewhere. Granted, this is assuming you're not shooting a motionless or afk heavy repeatedly, which is stupid.
    also, remember that headshots are carried over from map to map, so when you see someone with 60+ headshots, it's probably from multiple maps.
    This i's what I mean. Another way is sniping before your energy fully charges. I've seen some snipers get accused of cheating based on headshots, yet at the end of the game they're never the ones with the highest sniping damage.
  • I think everyone missed the point of this thread. I believe we're supposed to be talking about how The|Sniper is a turd.
    lmao you may have a point there.So may some others all I am saying until I see some proof of someone cheating it is all just talk.believe me I hate cheaters you just cant go around calling every person that kills you a cheater.The reason Tmann got banned from there could be valid or not but people tend to look down on someone who has been labeled a cheater before gossip has a way of influencing people sometimes.
  • edited March 2009
    I've seen shit that screams cheater on Goon Haven, two players in particular:

tmann
    ZoSo

Both have sniped me while I'm cloaked. tmann took two shots and killed me and my cousin out with a rifle when we were standing still under his team's vpad, cloaked. Zoso gets 60 headshots after joining for one map. Not even the almighty projectile can pull that one off unless he really tries.
    This is what I am talking about there could be any number of reasons why they sniped you who knows I wasnt there,Do you have any proof of them cheating but some gut feeling?Just because they may suck at dueling doesnt mean they cheat.get some recordings of them tell an admin to watch the guy or something.Dont go badmouthing someone without any proof just because they killed you.
    I could say the same about you after seeing your post about you getting banned from TWL for posting links to hm2 and hacking.I will give you the benefit of the doubt though because I have not seen any proof of this.You might wanna think of doing the same until you can give some evidence otherwise.Whats that saying screenshot or It didnt happen. Maybe in this case recording or it didnt happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkY_xMC9JJc

Edit: be sure to watch it in HD.
  • If the 50 or 60 headshots in a 30 min game is factual, I would seriously want to rummage through his t2 folder.
  • sorry really cant see shit but thats because of you tube quality not you and my eyes are shot but I am not gonna doubt you I probably could see it better from the ingame recording.Really anarchy I am not out to prove you wrong or right at all. My point was that calling someone a cheater without any proof is a bad thing and can slander a good players reputation is all.I am sure many good players have been called cheats before and I dont want it to be like it was in the old days where it became some sort of witch hunt.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkY_xMC9JJc

Do you normally play in 3rd person view?
  • If the 50 or 60 headshots in a 30 min game is factual, I would seriously want to rummage through his t2 folder.
    For those playing at home, 60 headshots in 30 minutes would be a headshot every 30 seconds, and even with top-notch skills, I don't think the distribution of players is quite dense enough to facilitate that.
  • sorry really cant see shit but thats because of you tube quality not you and my eyes are shot but I am not gonna doubt you I probably could see it better from the ingame recording.Really anarchy I am not out to prove you wrong or right at all. My point was that calling someone a cheater without any proof is a bad thing and can slander a good players reputation is all.I am sure many good players have been called cheats before and I dont want it to be like it was in the old days where it became some sort of witch hunt.

That's why I said to watch it in HD.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkY_xMC9JJc

Do you normally play in 3rd person view?

I was in observer mode recording tmann playing, a guy who blatantly uses hm2.
  • In case any of you are too dull to realize what the video is showing, notice how tmann chases someone a good 100-200m away from him all the way out of bounds. This normally wouldn't be possible because you'd never see this person, just as you never see them in the video until the very end.

When tmann gets to the last hill, he stops. All the hills he skis past and he chooses to stop at that last one, and he curves around the hill, without flying up to see where the person is. Notice how he stares at the mountain, with a shocklance in hand, and 'coincidentally' ends up facing their back. He has perma IFF's, meaning the triangles above enemies heads stay there, no matter the distance and no matter if any object is in his way, including a hill. That's why he knows when to stop, and which way to go around the hill to approach the person that no one but him can see.
  • I'll think I'll watch this

The game was on Goon Haven right?
  • In case any of you are too dull to realize what the video is showing, notice how tmann chases someone a good 100-200m away from him all the way out of bounds. This normally wouldn't be possible because you'd never see this person, just as you never see them in the video until the very end.

When tmann gets to the last hill, he stops. All the hills he skis past and he chooses to stop at that last one, and he curves around the hill, without flying up to see where the person is. Notice how he stares at the mountain, with a shocklance in hand, and 'coincidentally' ends up facing their back. He has perma IFF's, meaning the triangles above enemies heads stay there, no matter the distance and no matter if any object is in his way, including a hill. That's why he knows when to stop, and which way to go around the hill to approach the person that no one but him can see.

This is actually how the game's supposed to be played. With the command circuit. Tag an enemy, and as long as they're within the sensor net range you have their waypoint.

That being said, just from that short clip it's hard to tell how likely the sensor net actually sweeped the enemy, not to mention whether he uses the cc or not.
  • edited March 2009
    The guys probably using auto waypoints its as simple as that. Its the same as all the people using shields scripts like borshield on the server. I see a few vets jump in on rape mode and go crazy with it.
  • I find it humorous that you use "vet" and "borshield" in the same sentence.
  • edited March 2009
    "borshield".......Huuummmm. Where can I get it. Then I'll get on the forum and try to tell everyone how badass the chaingun is over mortar. Plus it's the right to do it. Get another (more like numorous) screen names and agree with myself.

I'm genius!

I'll be running up the score with no team skills in no time. And wont have to join a clan to learn to ripe my ass! ;D

[yeah numorous.....numerous+moron=numorous]
  • I have no shielding scripts, and I manage to shield HO on GH. =|

This is actually how the game's supposed to be played. With the command circuit. Tag an enemy, and as long as they're within the sensor net range you have their waypoint.

That being said, just from that short clip it's hard to tell how likely the sensor net actually sweeped the enemy, not to mention whether he uses the cc or not.

Did you ever once see the guy actually completely stop to tag the enemy through the command circuit? To know a cheater, you have to of been a cheater at one point. This guy is blatantly using hm2, I'd bet my life on it.
  • One recording is never enough for a ban, but this one is good enough to earn this player a watchful eye.

There's no way to know where this guy was sniping from with out assistance. Whether its perm IFF's, waypoints, etc.. without that you'd need to see him or a red trail from his laser to track him. The recording showed no laser trail or disk spam to track the guy. Not once did the player see the enemy but knew exactly where to find him, looks suspicious!
  • edited March 2009
    Since it seems things are headed in that direction, I put this out there.

If a teammate sees you defence getting a number of kills. and then for no other reason kills your "D" only to replace with his. Is it cheating to then kill his?

I ask this because this was common on the"" t1 server I played on from most if not all of those that were "" tag.

And it seems that some of their presence, like a backed up sewer, has been noticed from my serverlist. Not that I would EVER play on their server knowingly. :-[
  • Since it seems things are headed in that direction, I put this out there.

If a teammate sees you defence getting a number of kills. and then for no other reason kills your "D" only to replace with his. Is it cheating to then kill his?

I ask this because this was common on a t1 server I played on from some of those that were "" tag.

And it seems that some of their presence, like a backed up sewer, has been notice from serverlist. Not that I would EVER play on their server knowingly. :-[

I wouldn't consider that cheating, just bad sportsmanship! If I was an admin, I'd kick them on sight until they got it in their skulls that kinda game play isn't appreciated! But it's the call of the server provider!

I was playing in the pub just yesterday with tmann and it was on Titan, and he was well beyond my view of any IFFs and he was sitting at the top of the mid hill, on the very back edge, as far as he could go back, and was sniping and killing me. I was LDing on the back row of the base watching for back cappers. I have my visibility level all the way up, and I had no IFFs appearing. The guy never came off the hill, which I find odd. He always just went back as far as he could, and at such an angle where he could snipe without being seen.

Did you ever once see the guy actually completely stop to tag the enemy through the command circuit? To know a cheater, you have to of been a cheater at one point. This guy is blatantly using hm2, I'd bet my life on it.
    I'm just reminding of the possibility that he either already had the enemy tagged, or he accepted an attack player task right then, which explains his sudden change of focus to the enemy out of visible sight. There's not enough details in that video. I'd have to know whether there were any sensors or shrikes nearby during that moment.

But, the player does look suspicious. Most players who use the cc are at least above average players... which isn't consistent with his extremely poor disc shot at the end.
    Then again, I've never used or seen any kind of cheats from first hand so with the lack of evidence you probably have a better idea.
    I was playing in the pub just yesterday with tmann and it was on Titan, and he was well beyond my view of any IFFs and he was sitting at the top of the mid hill, on the very back edge, as far as he could go back, and was sniping and killing me. I was LDing on the back row of the base watching for back cappers. I have my visibility level all the way up, and I had no IFFs appearing. The guy never came off the hill, which I find odd. He always just went back as far as he could, and at such an angle where he could snipe without being seen.
    A note about IFFs: IFF range can be extended by zooming in on the enemy. This counts as an extension of the sensor net. Say an enemy is within mortar turret firing range but outside of sensor net range, the turret will fire on him if you zoom in on the enemy, thereby capturing him in the sensor net.

So on Titan looking down at the base from the hill, he'd have your IFFs from just zooming in.

One time on Titan the reverse happened. I was LDing while HO's spammed from the hill. I zoomed in on one that was to the side and out of visible range, got the IFF, and got accused of no-fog. It's interesting to note that he's a very good player. Perhaps not as many people know about this IFF point.

That said, I don't know how accurate that tmann's shots were. That would probably be the deciding factor and whether he was out of zoom-IFF range.