Unhandled Exception c0000005

Hello,

I have installed and patched and reinstalled 3 times now. I have downloaded from multiple locations. Every time i start the game the command prompt opens up and starts to open the game, and the screen goes black for a few seconds. Then, a little box pops up that says: "unhandled exception c0000005 at location 000000000"

I am running windows vista. Any ideas?

Comments

• Are you running the latest drivers?
    Does it open if you add the following line to GameData/base/prefs/clientPrefs.cs (create it if it doesn't exist):
    $pref::skipintro = 1;

You could also try:
    $pref::Video::displayDevice = "D3D";
    or:
    $pref::Video::displayDevice = "OpenGL";
  • I am having the same problem. I tried the things you said and nothing worked. Is there anything else I can try?
  • I get the unhandled exception error c0000005, but my location's 0058a841 and that happens any time I try to join a server.
  • I have all updated drivers and I added those lines to my client prefs. Still the same problem.
  • There are a few other things you can try to fix a startup UE, including but not limited to:
    - Reinstalling the game itself from the installer available in the downloads section.
    Make sure to either install in a new directory or totally clear out the old one.
    - Running in compatibility mode and disabling any additional formatting the OS might add.
    - If you're on a multi-core system, try setting the program's affinity to start with one core
    If you put something like this in a .bat file in your GameData directory, it should do it:
    start /affinity 1 Tribes2.exe -online

• I did all of those things and none of them worked.
  • Has anyone tried to run tribes2 on windows xp without service pack1 or 2? or without windows vista? and have they had any success online?. because i'm starting to think that these errors are in service pack2 in xp .......and vista...well thats a whole nother story.
  • Has anyone tried to run tribes2 on windows xp without service pack1 or 2? or without windows vista? and have they had any success online?. because i'm starting to think that these errors are in service pack2 in xp .......and vista...well thats a whole nother story.

I am running XP with Service Pack 2, Works fine for me. I can play online, and host online servers.
  • Unhandled exceptions are common in Tribes2, but usually only after you've joined a server. Or modified the game yourself and created something the engine doesn't like.
  • Unhandled exceptions are common in Tribes2, but usually only after you've joined a server. Or modified the game yourself and created something the engine doesn't like.

Well given that I just downloaded, installed and patched without any scripting... Sigh.

Well given that I just downloaded, installed and patched without any scripting... Sigh.

I'm just putting that out there for folk who don't know that, and blame the patch for one of t2's own problems.
  • For those with multicore systems, one may try this:

SetPerfCounterEnable(1);

Paste that string in some script in autoexec, or make it a script by itself called perf.cs or somesuch. Remember where you put it if you paste it into an existing script though. Run the game with it set to one as it is in the above line, and then set to zero and test. If you get relief from microstutter or ues there you go. If you get no relief, or even worse performance with it in, delete it. Also, delete all .dso files wherever you find them when you tweak settings, the game will run off the dsos and neglect any changes you make unless you make the changes in game. Might post a link to a site where one can dl cleandso.vl2... cleandso deletes all dsos when you close the game.

http://www.tribes2.info/scripts/
  • You'll probably want setPerfCounterEnable(0); not setPerfCounterEnable(1);
  • edited January 2009
    Additionally, when the game doesn't crash due to unhandled exception error c0000005, the servers I try to connect to say "Servers sent back an unreasonable IP challenge source. Possible replay attack attempt". Any ideas?

To add: I can do the single player/LAN stuff fine, it's just that I will either of the two errors mentioned previously.
  • I tried doing the setperfcoutner or whatever but to no avail. I put it in the scripts folder in the base as its own .cs and later in another .cs.

This is aggrevating. I am running dual core.
  • I have exactly the same error... Windows XP SP2... in a VMware box.
    Hello,

I have installed and patched and reinstalled 3 times now. I have downloaded from multiple locations. Every time i start the game the command prompt opens up and starts to open the game, and the screen goes black for a few seconds. Then, a little box pops up that says: "unhandled exception c0000005 at location 000000000"

I am running windows vista. Any ideas?
  • edited January 2009
    I had the same problem but switching to directx fixed it.

You can switch to Direct X mode by going into the ..\Dynamix\Tribes 2\GameData\base\prefs\ and opening ClientPrefs.cs in Notepad or Wordpad.

Look for these two lines:
    $pref::Video::allowD3D = "0";
    $pref::Video::displayDevice = "OpenGL";

and change them to

$pref::Video::allowD3D = "1";
  • Hello,

I have tried everything you guys have said. Nothing worked. One person mentioned editing my clientprefs.cs file and I looked for it and I do not have one. I created one and just put the lines they said in there but there was still no luck.

I have installed and patched in windows 2000, and windows XP in both parallels and virtual PC and the exact same error occurs. I am mainly trying it on vista.

I had trouble running Tribes 2 on my Mobility Radeon equipped laptop with Vista-32, this is because there are no official drivers available from my OEM that support OpenGL on Vista with this graphics card. The release of TribesNext inspired me to try a little harder. I downloaded Mobility Modder and the latest desktop drivers for ATI cards and am now able to rock OpenGL like it's 1999. I understand that my case is rather specific, but this fixed the unhandled exception c0000005 for me.
  • I seem to be getting the unhandled exception only after I install the patch. Inserting:

$pref::Video::allowD3D = "1";

into the ClientPrefs.cs doesn't seem to do anything.
  • The setperf line should be added to any existing script in your scripts/autoexec folder or just as a cs by itself, again, in the autoexec folder. I have a c2d sys and with that line set to 1 the game runs smoothly, set to 0 and it runs very poorly. Also, are you guys deleting all your dso files? They can safely be deleted as the game will just make new ones. Delete them after ues and other problems.
  • The setperfcounter is used on multi-core servers to remove the stuttering effect they experience. It shouldn't cause a UE, nor affect your ability to start the game.

Most cases of crashing on start are due to incompatibilities with the video drivers, but of course there are exceptions. If you can provide all the details you can about your particular system, and everything you can remember related to the error, we can better understand the problem and provide better suggestions at solutions to try.

Paroxsysmal, are you running under Windows?
  • Mobility Modder fixed my ails. TO ARMS!
  • Mobility Modder fixed my ails. TO ARMS!

Well done! I had a feeling it would help, my error was very persistent and I HAD to have Tribes lovin'!
    If only my account could log in...
  • hi guys i only get this error when i tried to join a game, anyone know the solution for this?
  • Can you open up your console (~) and type (or paste) echo($IPv4::InetAddress); and then tell me what it says? It should set to your external address automatically, and if it doesn't it can cause the game to fail an ip verification check on joining games.

You might want to hop on IRC and see if anyone is available to help out if we're not awake here.
  • alright, after typing echo($IPv4::InetAddress); in the console, it returns me my external ip correctly.

some of the server returns me 'invalid certification' for example Solofire's Meltdown 2.

for some others, it just crashes with the unhandled exception.
  • edited January 2009

Paroxsysmal, are you running under Windows?

Vista.

I'll post exactly what happens/it says when I get back on my home computer.
  • When I try to start up the multiplayer or the single player, the screen goes black and a message pops up that says "hardware failed to switch to a specific mode." I'm pretty sure this only happens after I add the patch (which has the ruby error). Once I click Ok it tells me I have the Unhandled exception c000005.
  • From the sounds of the error, if it is due to the patch, it is because something caused the patching process to fail. The game's rendering should not be affected by the patch, but the script that's called on startup that initializes everything is modified.
    (which has the ruby error)
    Could you elaborate?