Modders - .DTS shape files, how do I open them?

I'm experimenting with creating a mod, obviously it would need a client-side but I want to see how much I can change, textures, weapons, sounds, etc. I found the shape files for all the weapons/buildings/structures/etc, but how do I open them? I have 3ds max 7, is there a converter of some sort? Thanks.

Comments

• i have a DTS viewer but it only works inside T@. meaning youd have to have the game open to look at em. it wont let you edit them, just look.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzlnjzmdhty
  • edited March 2009
    i have a DTS viewer but it only works inside T@. meaning youd have to have the game open to look at em. it wont let you edit them, just look.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzlnjzmdhty

Actually, thats very helpful so I can use them as a reference. I can't find an importer anywhere, but I can find exporters. Thanks!

EDIT: Question: So how do I actually use this? Do I have to open it on the console? Cause I have no idea how to do that.
  • naw you drop that cs file in your autoexec folder. when you start t2, look in the top right of your screen and there should be a button that says DTSView. click that and itll popup. you can resize it like a windows window, just grab the corner.
  • naw you drop that cs file in your autoexec folder. when you start t2, look in the top right of your screen and there should be a button that says DTSView. click that and itll popup. you can resize it like a windows window, just grab the corner.

Yeah I found it a little earlier, its just the GUI skin I have kinda hid the button, and my resolution is huge so it was even harder to see. Thanks for the link! Very useful.
  • no sweat bro ;)
  • i have one that works in windows if you prefer that.

some model package was released by dynamix in max format, wasnt it?
  • The only thing that I'm going to need to figure out is how MAX units compare with Torque units. Once you import into the game, it could end up that something you intended to be small was gigantic or vice versa.
  • Another question for anybody who knows anything about this: I am getting reference for positioning of nodes off this document: http://fosters.realmwarsgame.com/tools/DTS_Nodes.pdf

It says this assumes it is a standard "vanilla" Torque uses, not 3rd party resources. Is tribes included in this standard "vanilla" category?
  • what do ya need to know im a modler
  • Does tribes use standard Torque node names for its .dts models or does it use its own special names? And when it means 'shape', does this mean it can only only export one object with one texture assigned to it? I am using 3ds max and its kinda hard to make complex objects without using more than one 'shape'. And if you know anything about how texturing works, that would be good too.
  • my msn is [email protected] contact me throught there it will be easyer for me to explain to ya
  • alright, let me try and get a hold of you
  • good deal ill expect hearing from you then