competitions for big money $$$$

Would a "entry fee/winner take all" style tournament be considered gambling? Would it be legal to host this type of tournament online?

Let me know what you think of:

1. Winner take all team based ctf tournament
2. WInner take all individual based duel mod tournament

Comments

• Where I am from, you are allowed to gamble as long as the "house" does not collect. That means, whoever is hosting is not allowed to take a percentage of the procedings for being the host.
  • I think you'll find, that money will bring out the worst in our community.
  • i'd be the first to assemble the team to end all teams that would take your money while tking our own base to give you a glimmer of a fighting chance
  • i'd be the first to assemble the team to end all teams that would take your money while tking our own base to give you a glimmer of a fighting chance

Whoever said I would even compete PROJ? :)

You may be right, but I think with the right guidelines and management, you could be proven wrong. In any case, I think it will not only bring out the worst, but also the best of the best.

Don't forget PROJECTILE: I know a few who would make you look like a noob, and have the cred to prove it as well. So please, let's keep the threats to a minimum :) It was only a harmless topic, nothing personal, so please relax.
  • He's messing with you.

However, I really do think it would bring out cheats, team sabotage, and team jumping all to extreme levels.
  • I agree, money being the root of all shazbot and all. Adding that possibility of financial reward just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, and that's leaving the questionable legality out of it.
  • I agree, money being the root of all shazbot and all. Adding that possibility of financial reward just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, and that's leaving the questionable legality out of it.

That's an incorrect quote my friend, it's "the love of money is the root of all shazbot" :)

Don't forget PROJECTILE: I know a few who would make you look like a noob, and have the cred to prove it as well.
    i hope this is a joke. i'd like to see you name them
  • Just off the top of my head,

SnappleWear, -Jin-, XiFher, SHAZBOT

Two of those players have held the number one position in the duel ladder for several years. But like I said, this is not personal.

Two of those players have held the number one position in the duel ladder for several years. But like I said, this is not personal.
    LOL the #1 position of a dead duel ladder. Three of those players are below average Arena players who were literally unknown until every good player stopped playing. Don't even get me started on CTF - I don't think any of them have ever played it at a remotely high or even medium level.
    Stop saying it's not personal. You can't mindlessly insult someone and then say it's not personal.
  • 1. He started it :), and it really isn't personal.
    i'd be the first to assemble the team to end all teams that would take your money while tking our own base to give you a glimmer of a fighting chance

2. Didn't you just mindlessly insult 3/4 of the players I named?
    LOL the #1 position of a dead duel ladder. Three of those players are below average Arena players who were literally unknown until every good player stopped playing. Don't even get me started on CTF - I don't think any of them have ever played it at a remotely high or even medium level.
    Stop saying it's not personal. You can't mindlessly insult someone and then say it's not personal.

3. I know you and PROJ are in bed together but that doesn't mean he can't fight his own fights man.

I didn't claim any of them were pro CTF players. But... I'm damn sure that PROJ wouldn't stand a fighting chance of a snowball in hell against Snapple or XiFher in a duel.
  • My name was not on that list, clearly that was post incorrect.
  • No, I didn't. I stated a plain fact. Arena competition pretty much died in 2003/2004. Snapple, Jin, and Xif were all unknown until 2005 or so - after everyone better than them quit playing. Furthermore, Proj is a better dueler than me last I checked, and I am at least as good as all of those guys in Arena.
    This isn't about a "fight", this is about the truth. What you said is completely false, and I'm here to correct it.
  • No, I didn't. I stated a plain fact. Arena competition pretty much died in 2003/2004. Snapple, Jin, and Xif were all unknown until 2005 or so - after everyone better than them quit playing. Furthermore, Proj is a better dueler than me last I checked, and I am at least as good as all of those guys in Arena.
    This isn't about a "fight", this is about the truth. What you said is completely false, and I'm here to correct it.

LOL, the funny thing is that in the arena circle you are known as a decent player at best Kryand. They're all grateful that you upgraded base arena to 1.1, but that's beside the point.
  • umm, i was one of the top duelers in the game, and i played for eX| when they were #1 on the arena ladder (while TF and uK were still playing, to boot). the guys you mentioned don't have shit on me
  • umm, i was one of the top duelers in the game, and i played for eX| when they were #1 on the arena ladder (while TF and uK were still playing, to boot). the guys you mentioned don't have shit on me

Would you like to put your money where you mouth is? :)
  • This is silly.

I don't want to add to the shit talking, I just want it to end.

Abstract, you don't seem to know how good people are, proj (not to suck your dick or anything) is definitely one of the best players right now, and really doesn't need to prove shit. Duel him and watch your ass get stomped.

To add to the topic: Money and tribes2 does not mix, at least not now. Used to be a cash prize on the OGL ladder if I'm not mistaken, for holding the #1 rung on the CTF ladder (sadly not the siege one). Cheating would be RAMPANT, which is sad but true. That's mostly the reason I did not compete in that arena tourney that happened not to long ago.

I'd really love to see it, I really would, but it's just fucked that there is cheating.
  • edited March 2009
    Woah! easy 'p, i don't claim to be better than PROJECTILE, I'm just conducting a sociological experiment of sorts :) You make a valid point about the cheating, though. Maybe someday if Tribes 2 ever becomes cheat proof, competitions with prizes will become a reality.
  • I never at any point considered myself an Arena player, and I only played it just to mess around. Yet, I still frequently out-performed most of the Arena players of this time period most of the times I played.

Let me ask you something... which of the players you named did you duel first? Let's say it was XiFher. Then, you come across SnappleWear, never having played him before, and he's talking about how great he is. Would you say "oh well I know this guy XiFher would would make you look like a noob"? I think you would, considering that's what you did in this case. Then you see Snapple play and realize that he's just as good as XiFher or better. Then Jin comes along talking shit, and you say the same thing to him: "I know these guys XiF and Snapple who will make you look like a noob".

You see where I am going with this?
  • edited March 2009
    I said nothing of the sort to any of them. Of course, unlike you and your little pack of bitches gang that follows you around, they don't go around constantly bragging that they're god's gift to the game.
  • You don't know them very well, huh?
  • sup guys im back.. i was in vacation!
  • sup guys im back.. i was in vacation!

SHAZBOT. Out team lives, join us in practice on sunday!

lol. cool list bro. Not like it even matters, as these are mainly guys from after arena was at its prime, but even I would beat everyone one of those players in a duel.

btw, the duel ladder is a mess right now and has absolutely no credibility to how good someone is at all. let me tell you that I joined that ladder with the intention of playing a few good duels (and dominating), and went straight to #2 without playing anyone (forfeit wins). Nobody on that damn ladder responds... I think I challenged Snapple a while ago and he never showed. lol, then i got removed from the ladder for never having played a game.
  • Dude. The only person EVER to beat Snapplewear officially is dead now. If you're better, prove it.
  • I beat BugsPray. I'm better. Proven.
  • edited March 2009
    Just off the top of my head,

I said nothing of the sort to any of them. Of course, unlike you and your little pack of bitches gang that follows you around, they don't go around constantly bragging that they're god's gift to the game.

LoL you are complete and total idiot don't know what you are talking about or have any idea what the ladders mean.

It's both sad and hilarious at once.

I like how he is trying to play the "I'm just conducting a social experiment" card after being exposed as a huge moron person who doesn't know what he is talking about. That's so 1990s.
  • i think its a great idea, never know what will happen untill you try it. i'll pay $5 to enter a tourny. np.