Tribes 1 coming to Instant Action

http://kotaku.com/5171349/instantaction-brings-tribes-to-your-web-browser

I wonder if they do this to Tribes 2, what will happen to Tribesnext?

Comments

• awesome that that is even possible tho.
    dunno if they'd be able to do tribes 2 tho. i'd be interested to see that
  • Hmmmm, this is interesting. As long as our community can get some momentum, I doubt it will have much of an impact on Tribes Next.
  • edited March 2009
    It's even way better than that ;D
    :popcorn:

Some questions you might want answered :
    • GarageGames purchased the ownership of the Tribes IP (all Tribes games) from Activision/Vivendi late last year.
    • We do have the source code to the game, and the build has been updated with bug fixes
    • Andrew has been working closely with us on it
    • The build will be distributed through the website, but still playable as a standalone game.
    • The game will use the existing Master Server system that the original game used. We will provide a new master server address with the release.
    • The game is not compatible with version 1.11 but you should be able to play the same demos as recorded on previous versions
    • Mods and configs used in 1.11 will not be directly compatible, without at least minor changes, as the base game scripts have been cleaned up considerably by Andrew
    • The game does NOT have updated graphics, this was a PR misunderstanding. The game does support modern file formats (PNG textures, Zip files)

from http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14373086#post14373086
  • Wow - that's crazy...

"I need an APC pickup!"
  • I don't see why they are trying to take T1 and improve it. It would probably be much simpler to start with T2 and make it identical to T1 (again). Whatever though.
    If we could just get them to upgrade T2 again and fix deadstops and boost the graphics capability of the engine, then we'll be set.
  • wow so as soon as I pick up t2 and get it fully modded this happens...
  • well, it says that they own the entire Tribes IP, which suggests tribes 1, 2, vengeance, etc. so likely after they release tribes 1 (to generate buzz?) they'll start on tribes 2... you'd think...
  • It'd be nice to get back into Tribes 1 again.
  • well, it says that they own the entire Tribes IP, which suggests tribes 1, 2, vengeance, etc. so likely after they release tribes 1 (to generate buzz?) they'll start on tribes 2... you'd think...
    Maybe, maybe not. The largest part of buying the Tribes IP would be to please Tribes 1 players. I don't really see anything else substantial that they have to gain from it. Most Tribes 1 players hate T2 and T:V. I hope this isn't the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if they focus all the efforts on updating T1 and forget that T2 and T:V ever existed.

Though, maybe if we're lucky, they will make a true successor to Tribes rather than a "spiritual" one. But considering Legions isn't even technically done yet, I doubt they would start on anything like that for a long time.
  • I will say, while I enjoy Tribes 2, I do miss Tribes 1 (especially on a fully modded server). nostalgia I reckon, tho it probably wouldn't be as fun as i remember, lol
  • Yeah, they eventually fixed deadstops.

Also, they replaced the infamous UE with Fatals.
  • They would really alienate their T2 players by not porting T2 into it. Not good PR if you ask me. Boycot the use of the thing until they come out with T2. :)
  • Boycot the use of the thing. :)
    Fixed.
  • Boycot the use of the thing. :)
    Fixed.
    Seconded.
  • Maybe they know of TN already and respect it.

Why fix something that was already fixed :)

But yea fixing dead stops would be sweet.
  • Those dead stops drive me out of my damn mind.
  • then again its going to be refreshing to play tribes without shocklance and cloak poak ;D
  • I dig this. The world just might see that some games are more than just pretty graphics.
  • Finally a game worth buying.
  • You don't buy it...that's the point of instant action is that its free to play.
    :-\
  • I like the idea my t1 disc was fubar along time ago.I really didnt start playing it a few months before t2 came out and would like to give it a go again.
  • [quote author=TheOracle[xXx] link=topic=862.msg9197#msg9197 date=1237399605]
    You don't buy it...that's the point of instant action is that its free to play.
    :-\
    [/quote]

for now...
  • Here's my opinion of the whole thing. This is great that Instant Action picked up the Tribes IP, they can fix up and do really whatever they want with the Tribes franchise now. Meaning we could see a true sequel to Tribes unlike Vengeance. This also means Tribes 1 and 2 are going to be fixed up, great news.

Now I see a bit of a problem around here regarding them and Tribesnext. First off, they have the source code, Tribesnext does not. Which means we don't have to resort to (I'd hate to call it this but it is what it is) a dirty hack using ruby to continue playing Tribes 2. The Tribesnext guys have done a wonderful job and have done alot of work so far, but no one could had predicted that this would have happened.

But if you think boycotting this or whatever in place of Tribesnext which again, does not have the source code to the game which makes it alot more difficult to fix things and do things in place of a solution that has the source code and can do pretty much anything they please, is just foolish. So please, if you have a problem with this, don't let your egos get in the way else you are going to see a split community, one that just wants to play the game at its best, and another who wants to continue using a hack. Hell it might not even be split, it might just be a small community continuing here and a growing one at the Instant Action side due to them actually able to promote the games.

Does this mean the end of Tribesnext? Well, it depends, I think the Tribesnext team has to evaluate the situation and plan their next course of action. For now Tribesnext will continue as normal I'm sure, but when Instant Action gets around to Tribes 2, let them deal with it.
  • I seriously doubt that GG is going to do anything but collaborate with TN. I mean, the guy who made the Tribes 2 ET:QuakeWars mod (for fun) was hired by GG to help with T1 solely based on his work with that mod. I think there's a good chance they might be willing to offer the same thing to the guy who redesigned the Tribes 2 auth system.
  • Yea I agree with Kryand, I doubt they would bully us around. This is kindove exciting.
  • edited March 2009
    S:T and T2 are now free and released as free. I don't think they will sell it again.
    But...IA being IA...

...I'm wondering where that enthusiasm for Vengeance is. Probably stuffed in one of those damage/water/fire-proof safe boxes and hidden under the floor boards of a closet in Zimbabwe.
    The world will never know.
  • I think there's a good chance they might be willing to offer the same thing to the guy who redesigned the Tribes 2 auth system.

Except Thyth already has lucrative employment with another company, and i doubt he would leave that. Especially to work for a company which produces an engine that he has expressed dislike for in the past.
    This also means Tribes 1 and 2 are going to be fixed up, great news.

Not necessarily. If they provided T1 and T2 on Instant Action, no-one would play Legions.
    I highly doubt true Tribes players would play Legions over Tribes 1 as it is.
    Now I see a bit of a problem around here regarding them and Tribesnext. First off, they have the source code.

They have the Tribes 1 source code, not the Tribes 2. Which Thyth does have, last i heard.

How else could one write the Ruby Interpreter?
  • ...I'm wondering where that enthusiasm for Vengeance is. Probably stuffed in one of those damage/water/fire-proof safe boxes and hidden under the floor boards of a closet in Zimbabwe.
    The world will never know.

I reinstalled T:V recently just to run the single player (got it for $4 at a secondhand store), and realized that they really did screw things up. The only things I liked were the base designs and the nice little readout that would tell you if power was on or not, the texture quality, and the sounds. Notice that's all candy on top of the core gameplay which horribly, horribly sucked.

I agree with the idea floating here that they won't try to shut TN down but rather help it out. There's a lot of us grouping around TN right now, and if there's other non-GG implementations of T2 out there (still new here), there's people gathered around them too. Why would GG alienate all those fans by shutting down their rebuild of choice?
  • I like to call T:V tribes for dummies.That was the man problem with it IMO actually I think the single player game might have been the only good part of it.Multiplayer was just awful and so dumbed down.Vehicles were basically worthless no bombers and the tanks were just plain stupid.base raping really became useless and not worthwhile in other words it was a big mess all around.

I will agrree with shizuka In thinking that I dont think the guys at GG will do anything to tribesnext at this time.It just wouldnt be good PR to do so.I will havta put in a but though which is if somehow they see some way to make profit from this in someway they may change there minds.I have seen crazier things happen in the past.
  • They have the Tribes 1 source code, not the Tribes 2.
    Wrong. They have full rights and source to the entire Starsiege/Tribes series.
    Which Thyth does have, last i heard.
    How else could one write the Ruby Interpreter?
    Thyth is using the T2 C/C++ API that -Linker- wrote as part of his Lua addon...
    It's just been stripped of the Lua support, and had a Ruby library grafted in.