Tribes 1 coming to Instant Action

2»

Comments

• Well I am just speculating here, but if they have the T:V source, does that mean that they have the source of the Unreal engine? That would be one hell of a deal.
  • They have the Tribes 1 source code, not the Tribes 2. Which Thyth does have, last i heard.

How else could one write the Ruby Interpreter?
    I do not have the Tribes 2 source code. GarageGames does.

They're pretty much free to bring up the old system as it was, but it would be an incredibly dumb move to do so without working with the TN team. There are still significant architectural advantages to the authentication system I designed, and there are a bunch of active users using our system. Getting them to move would require a compelling reason.
  • Like Tribes 2 + UE fixes + Script Engine fixes + Shader Support
  • Yeah, but UE fixes means they just rename them to fatals.

It's really the same thing to the end user.
  • UE's aren't really that much of a problem anyway. I haven't had one in over a month. I'm satisfied with the original graphics. So, once again, we'd need a compelling reason.
  • I haven't had a UE in about 2 years... Neither has my brother, or the other guy that I know on my dorm that plays and I have played tribes 2 on about 5 different computers since then.
  • Eolk was right (as usual) about tanks having a high UE rate.

I played kata in a tank, all was well untill I rammed some random guy into oblivion, an instant UE.
    doesnt always UE, but it does sometimes.

I advise all wannabe tank pilots to stay at 100 while ramming.
  • I dunno, I rarely get UE's. Maybe it's just me, I find that you almost never get UE's when you run the game in 16-bit graphics.
  • I've noticed that as well. Since I switched to 16 bit as an experiment, UEs have disappeared completely.
  • They have the Tribes 1 source code, not the Tribes 2. Which Thyth does have, last i heard.

How else could one write the Ruby Interpreter?
    I do not have the Tribes 2 source code. GarageGames does.

They're pretty much free to bring up the old system as it was, but it would be an incredibly dumb move to do so without working with the TN team. There are still significant architectural advantages to the authentication system I designed, and there are a bunch of active users using our system. Getting them to move would require a compelling reason.

If they, lets say theoretically, rebuilt the Tribes 2 engine much as they are doing with Tribes 1 and made it instant action. How far would they go? Full in game browser support? Clans? Tribes 2 was a pretty full featured product in its heyday, the likes of which have yet to be duplicated by modern games.

I think a complete GG rebuild of Tribes 2 would be some pretty mean competition for good old TribesNext, especially since they are the guys that built the damn game in the first place. The question is, what would it gain them? Giving out a nearly decade old game for free is great for us end users but what is the end goal? They can't exactly point at it and say, hey we made this game a long ass time ago and it was awesome. As part of their porfolio its a pretty ancient piece of history.

Especially with all the people running around that the game effectively ended their jobs.
  • The GG == Dynamix thing is a myth. Most of those guys are gone or working on unrelated things.
  • Do keep in mind that full browser, clan, and even auto-map download support is coming to TribesNext.

I'm sure they could reactivate the original systems as they were, but I don't think it's a particularly good software engineering practice to do so. Browsers and mail were implemented as IRC services the first time around, which for dozens of reasons is extremely ugly. If the new management has any brains, they'd overhaul those.

TribesNext has an advantage here, because we've already started the implementation of completely overhauled community system features. We'll be able to support website integration from the start, which is totally new.

The new management has the advantage of full source code, which means they could refactor the code and fix bugs, or easily overhaul the rendering engine with things like shader support. But, lets face it, if these are the same people directing the development of the Torque source code, they'll be more interested in adding new shiny features rather than fixing the destitute and abysmal codebase. Doing that sort of debugging/feature addition on the machine code level, while not out of my reach, is not on my agenda (it would take too much time, and I'm not being paid for this project).
  • Regardless, Next has my loyalty. I don't care if the visual quality of the game improves, or they disassemble the entire thing and rework it from scratch. I'm here to stay. I hope the rest of you are with me.
  • I dunno, I rarely get UE's. Maybe it's just me, I find that you almost never get UE's when you run the game in 16-bit graphics.

This is good advice.
    Regardless, Next has my loyalty. I don't care if the visual quality of the game improves, or they disassemble the entire thing and rework it from scratch. I'm here to stay. I hope the rest of you are with me.

I feel the same really.
  • edited June 2009
    Seems to be ready to play now. Fixed loadouts. And only 4 different weapons in total (Laserrifel, Chaingun, Rocketlauncher ( wich is like the spinfusor) , Grenadelauncher).

There are no deployabels and no vehicles (atleas I didnt find any way to get em). No inventory stations. If you want a different loadout you select it and wait untill you die and respawn or just suicide. You can ski and everything. The graphics look nice imo.

It's not bad. It's not as good as T2 but still nice. I wait untill I have played it with other people and have tryed out all the features of the game before taking an fixed position to the game.

Also: You have to keep holding space inorder to jet up towards the sky.
  • I think they will eventualy enable the original masters and accounts as far as t1 and t2 goes, and have the ia tribes game as well. If gg does anything with tribes ip in the future I doubt if they would do it to the detriment of the originals in the series.
  • ive never played t1 so i wouldnt know what its like, dling t2 right now, if t1 looks that good, i cant wait to see t2 :D, plus ill be able to get a bit of tribes action in while dling the real t2 :)
  • Well, a common mod was to add the t2 skins to t1 as t1 is low poly gaming from 1998, which means it's ugly. But the gameplay is great regardless.