TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  General Discussion >  What happened last night? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: What happened last night?
Jaffa
Nugget

View Profile
January 16, 2009, 01:11:24 AM »
I downloaded Tribes Next maybe 4 or 5 days ago and I've been playing every night, realising that Tribes 2 was such an awesome game. I had sweaty palms whilst capping, heading back to base with the flag being chased by 3 or 4 lights, whilst my teammates did their best to keep them off me. I had this great feeling of accomplishment, of teamwork when I captured that flag.. "Team Inferno.... SCORES".

Last night, I logged in hoping for some of the same. I joined the 'Goon Haven' server and off we went. Within a minute I realised something was different.

There was a pratt sat at the V-pod shocklancing anything which was created. Whilst I do admit that Shocklancing a transport can be pretty funny the first few times you do it, I don't see the fascination of doing it over and over and over.

Then, someone spawned a bomber and I hopped into the Bombadier seat. Off we flew over the enemy base, I spammed my mouse button "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" as we passed over. Smoke and destruction was the aftermath. I was then shocked to hear a "FFS NUB DROP MORE BOMBS NEXT TIME". Another pass of the enemy base and I did the same thing, spammed my mouse button. The pilot brought us down around the back of the base and radio'd "I'm on repairs", as he left the vehicle, so did the tailgunner who then decided to shocklance the Bomber and drop a Mortar inbetween me and the pilot. Great job.

About half an hour later, I was witness to comments in chat such as:

"OMG U FUCKIN NUBS LET ME SHOW U ALL HOW 2 CAP"
"U DIRTY NIGG*S" etc

I thought this was a place for the old Tribes 2 community to gather? I'd presume from the time since Tribes 2 was released, the majority of us would be at least 21 or older now?

T2 was never like this. It was a community. It was exactly the OPPOSITE of what World of Warcraft is today ie "Look what I have" and "I'm the best". There was no leetism, noobs were welcomed and while could be the centre of a joke, it was understood that everyone's a noob once.

I have this feeling that the Tribes Next community isn't actually going to be for old Tribes 2 players, but rather for "whatever's popular at the moment" sort of game for these twats who think that the internet revolves around them?
SPRIGGAN
Nugget²

View Profile
1: January 16, 2009, 01:21:21 AM »
Um, welcome to Tribes 2. Incidents like this were one of the things that made Tribes so fun. Shit talkers, spammers, and TKers kept the game unpredictable.

Maybe as an ex member of -[SPAM]- clan I can appreciate these I duno. But yea, get used to it bud ^^
Lenowin
Nugget

View Profile
2: January 16, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
Yep, this kind of unpredictable behavior used to be somewhat common, just smack talk em down with wit and intelligence and make em look foolish in return ;P
Jaffa
Nugget

View Profile
3: January 16, 2009, 01:34:18 AM »
Not the Tribes 2 I used to play? Mind you, I stopped playing after about 9 months so maybe this all came after I'd quit?

What I'm saying is, T2 was released.... 2000? 2001? Something like that. 8 Years ago. I'm 22, makes me 14 at the time. I was a young member of the community too. Is there really that many sad people who are older than me yet want to flex their e-might on a keyboard and screen?
SPRIGGAN
Nugget²

View Profile
4: January 16, 2009, 01:38:19 AM »
Not the Tribes 2 I used to play? Mind you, I stopped playing after about 9 months so maybe this all came after I'd quit?

What I'm saying is, T2 was released.... 2000? 2001? Something like that. 8 Years ago. I'm 22, makes me 14 at the time. I was a young member of the community too. Is there really that many sad people who are older than me yet want to flex their e-might on a keyboard and screen?

Indeed yes! I played at 13, am now 21. And I started around the same time you did man, and this stuff has always gone on. In fact I still remember, I was introduced to tribes, watching my friend play at his house, flying a shrike to run from a pissed team mate. And also him satcheling team mates.

It all made me laugh so much I decided to go out, get my very first PC, and play Tribes 2. So yes, Tribes has been this way as long as I can remember.

It's a GREAT game to play seriously and competitively, but you gotta admit, the spammers and childish antics make it fun sometimes.
Pantalones
Nugget

View Profile
5: January 16, 2009, 04:40:36 AM »
I joined the 'Goon Haven' server

There's your problem.
Angry
Nugget

View Profile
6: January 16, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »
Yeah last night it was pretty bad. It was REALLY hard to even remotely try to work asa team. Last people were actually filing in line for inventory and vehicles. It was nice to see some amount of curtesy in the game. But thats part of ANY MMO game. Even good old T2.

The goon server is great, dont get me wrong, but there are other servers just as good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:03:08 AM by Angry »

Tribes 2, way ahead of its time!
Kryand
Assault

View Profile
7: January 16, 2009, 05:07:04 AM »
The Goon server doesn't seem to be a very quality place to play. Branzone Central has more good players, fewer idiots, and better administration. Granted, it only holds 32 and is often full, but such things are the price of being a quality server. I've only played on Goon Haven once, and that was enough for me.

DUN_DUNNA
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
8: January 16, 2009, 07:37:34 AM »
Jaffa, I agree with Kryand (surprise)... it's not the game it's the server and the admins.  I've played on Goon Haven and had a blast from time to time. But good teamwork is a joy to find; some players are still juvenile and some are just funny as hell. 

Check out some of the other servers; there's plenty of experienced players looking to add some teamwork into killing the enemy! Grin

Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
9: January 16, 2009, 07:44:04 AM »
Next doesn't require an iq test to get authorised. If you find idiots in the server you joined, join another, or better yet, host one that you can run to your liking.
Shizuka
Assault

View Profile
10: January 16, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »
I tend to stick with the Goon Haven server usually because it's the most populated, but I'm hoping - nay - praying that some of the players I find there aren't representative of the rest of our player base.

For instance, yesterday we were on Stonehenge, which I recall in Tribes 1 would even stack hopelessly against one team. I had the good fortune to be on the team that would win. At a certain point, we were up 6 flag caps to the other team, each and every one of them done by one person, who before now I would admit is a damn fine capper. I declared my intent to at least make a run on the flag via VSAF, and figured even if I didn't get the flag, the enemy would have two targets to deal with in the initial confusion. This other player got there first, ran off with the flag, so I stayed behind to try and distract the defenders. They didn't take my bait and all ran off after the other player, who within about ten seconds died and dropped the flag.
But here I am, less than 60% health, on the far end of the map near the enemy flag base. Enemy returns the flag. I decide, why not, we're in the lead, it's unlikely the enemy will rebuild an offense, so I run up, grab the flag, and start running. On my way back to base, a few heavies and meds shoot the usual splash damage spam my way, but luck sees me through with a sliver of health until I'm back by our base. And encountering no other resistance, I jet up and successfully capture the flag, which I take pride in since it's the first live-game capture I've done in Tribes 2.
My reward? The aforementioned other player yelling in global chat "don't grab flag you stupid fuck". So because I had the audacity to change roles on the fly from distraction to flag runner, and because I had the gall to take the flag and make it all the way back to base to cap, I'm a stupid fuck because it wasn't this other player doing it.

A tl;dr rant aside, I'm hoping this isn't the kind of attitude that the inversely precipitous learning curve of Tribes has fostered among us. Yeah, we sure operate on a much different level than, say, Halo players, but we also work loosely as a team. And regardless if you've proved yourself to be the able flag runner of a team, the rest of your team is still useful.
Maybe this is just a reflection on how immature the Goon Haven server is, especially when you load a map where a vpad is inside a hangar of sorts, and the incompetence of wannabe pilots goes from laughable to "I think I'll have to TK these people so I can get something useful done". All I know is I tend to play there because that's almost always the only server with 50+ players.

The absolute chaos that ensues on the Goon Haven server is something I really enjoy about the game. Something about everyone spamming canned chats during the loading screen makes me giggle every time, and the creative spams that can come from combining canned chats (for instance "I am - Hi!" "how high are you?" "I am - Quiet! - Hi!") is awesome. But there is somehow a line between good chaos and bad chaos.

Someone mentioned the Branzone server. Last week someone was actually telling us in the Goon Haven server to go join there. Guess I should now take up that advice.

(sorry for epic tl;dr ranting, I've got other issues and Tribes ended up being a vent)

The above is Shizuka Kamishima.
Why not?
Jaffa
Nugget

View Profile
11: January 16, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »
I agree that there's harmless fun, certain things can be funny, even if they're childish or petty, it can still get a few grins. But then there's the irritating 'fun' which only one person seems to find funny and the rest have to deal with.

As Kamishizuka said, it's the attitude which I'm getting at. Keyboard warriors, closet racists who'll call n**gers and the likes in game, what's that all about? Mindless racists who obviously haven't left their houses in a long while.
Shizuka
Assault

View Profile
12: January 16, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
I googled around (though other people might go "well, duh" at this), and found that the Goon Haven server is run by SomethingAwful forumites, which likely explains the increasingly 4chan-like immaturity building up there.

The above is Shizuka Kamishima.
Why not?
Proxy_
Nugget²

View Profile
13: January 16, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »
I also think it's the fault of the server moderators and that a new server should be picked to play (if you want to play seriously)

Also: you should drop more bombs if you simply hold down the mouse button instead of clicking it  Grin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:52:44 AM by Proxy_ »
Abstract
Scout

View Profile
14: January 16, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »
Um, welcome to Tribes 2. Incidents like this were one of the things that made Tribes so fun. Shit talkers, spammers, and TKers kept the game unpredictable.

Maybe as an ex member of -[SPAM]- clan I can appreciate these I duno. But yea, get used to it bud ^^

I completely disagree.  Shit talkers and Spammers are fine, but TKers send me into the whirling phantasms of insanity.  I hate them.  They ruin the game for me every time I'm around one.

I am: DisChord81/KillMachine/Atlas/Abstract, in that order.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines