TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  General Discussion >  What happened last night? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: What happened last night?
praimi
Nugget

View Profile
30: January 21, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
I saw one guy that spams LOL OMG HACKER NOOB everytime popped his head with laser rifle. Shocked
funkygibbon
Nugget

View Profile
31: January 21, 2009, 03:25:36 AM »
Nothing like T2 to bring the blood to boil.  In good ways and bad.  Hands down greatest team game ever made, and consequently, the most annoying when people intentionally sabotage it.

(First post here, so here's the obligatory TYVM for making TN)

vgrt, vgcr

Just wanted to add a reply about the PUGs you run:  please consider posting at http://bittah.com when you advertise your pugs.

Bad blood from the AU vs USW game aside (yeah, still Tongue) it's a coherent community of Tribes players that has maintained constant weekly games for years.  Although we're aussie, we'll still be valuable players for any pug.

Viva la T2
Karakasa
Nugget

View Profile
32: January 21, 2009, 05:23:21 AM »
Tribes has probably the steepest learning curve of any FPS to date, and it goes without saying that we operate on a much different level than, say, Halo players. For our mastery (or our attempts at it) of the game mechanics, we do deserve some level of pride. That right ends when it stops someone new from learning. We all started as newbloods at one time.

Basically, you said the same thing like me, but didn't consider that every learning curve has an initial beginning, i.e. the beginning of the game - and that's when most skilled players started to play. At its release, every player was still making mistakes wherefore the many mistakes cancelled each other. Only the players that joined in later faced the cruelty of the steep learning curve. Partially, I experienced that myself as I was playing as a deployer and was using the chaingun for too long. Once competitions went for Classic and maps without turrets and vehicles, I got totally chewed up - and it was a very humiliating and frustrating exercise to catch up in Rabbit and Hunter games.

Just remember, the noobs are the ones in it for themselves.  In Tribes, it's about the team.

And yet again, it's the skilled players with experience in (former) leading clans that consider a PUG as the one place and opportunity to play for themselves and have a fun time owning the enemy instead of teamplay.
Personally as light offense for example, I simply like hanging out in the midfield and take everyone and everything apart that wants to cross my line of defense. I'm good at it and that's probably been the reason why the made me a chaser/ assistant capper in the first place. However, in public games, this role is probably the most unproductive as I'd never manage to take out all the heavy offense, intercept every cap attempt and therefore fulfill my tasks, but instead end up wasting too much time in skirmishes with other players that do exactly the same - hunting in the midfield.
In other words, even though I have an important role in private games, I barely contribute to the success in a public game - except for pushing the front line towards the enemy's base perhaps. Considering that new and temporary players will never have time and patience to go through strategies, public games will always stay one huge frag-fest which reduces teamplay to standing on the flag, setting up sensors, go heavy offense or capping. Those are all the roles important to a public game - and they simply don't fit to what I like and what I'm good at.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:34:37 AM by Karakasa¦The_Kaioshin »
Eolk
Global Moderator

View Profile
33: January 21, 2009, 05:46:38 AM »
I saw one guy that spams LOL OMG HACKER NOOB everytime popped his head with laser rifle. Shocked
I have a friend who does that a lot. He doesn't really mean it when he does it, he just tries to distract whoever killed him so he can kill them. Sounds stupid, but, it's pretty effective sometimes.
thebeaz
Waffe Des Gottes

View Profile
34: January 21, 2009, 06:22:48 AM »
While I don't appreciate all the hate for my server (Goon Haven), I would like to let you know that I'm working on having more admins to watch over the flock of players on that server.

Also, most of those TKers, constant shit talkers, and other BS you've been running into? Those aren't Goons. Those are John Q. Public players. If any of them ARE Goons, they get banned. I don't make exceptions just because they read SA.

But thanks for generalizing and calling my server low quality and shilling for a corporate server. I run off a privately owned server in my own company's colo facility... I'm actually trying to give the community a stable server to play on without advertising anything.

I prefer the smaller games (32 players) myself, but people rarely joined my 32 man. Sure, I could blame my 64 for people not being on the 32... but they had the choice. Apparently they wanted the 64.

Goon Haven Owner and Superadmin
GoonHaven.org
Jaffa
Nugget

View Profile
35: January 21, 2009, 06:51:45 AM »
While I don't appreciate all the hate for my server (Goon Haven), I would like to let you know that I'm working on having more admins to watch over the flock of players on that server.

Also, most of those TKers, constant shit talkers, and other BS you've been running into? Those aren't Goons. Those are John Q. Public players. If any of them ARE Goons, they get banned. I don't make exceptions just because they read SA.

But thanks for generalizing and calling my server low quality and shilling for a corporate server. I run off a privately owned server in my own company's colo facility... I'm actually trying to give the community a stable server to play on without advertising anything.

I prefer the smaller games (32 players) myself, but people rarely joined my 32 man. Sure, I could blame my 64 for people not being on the 32... but they had the choice. Apparently they wanted the 64.

People aren't calling the server, if you read into it people are calling the actual players on it. It's great that you're doing your part for the community and Good Haven is a decent server, I get a pretty decent ping even here in the UK and it seems to be the only server with a good number of players and no bots.

Keep it up. They hatin'.
thebeaz
Waffe Des Gottes

View Profile
36: January 21, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »
People aren't calling the server, if you read into it people are calling the actual players on it. It's great that you're doing your part for the community and Good Haven is a decent server, I get a pretty decent ping even here in the UK and it seems to be the only server with a good number of players and no bots.

Keep it up. They hatin'.
Well I appreciate that. I am actively recruiting more admins to that can play during the daytime sessions. Hopefully that will help clean up the riffraff.

GoonHaven.org
WiiMote
Señor Nugget

View Profile
37: January 21, 2009, 07:38:39 AM »

Keep it up. They hatin'.
Well I appreciate that. I am actively recruiting more admins to that can play during the daytime sessions. Hopefully that will help clean up the riffraff.

Small suggestion, designate a few well spoken admins to help the newbies learn the gameplay mechanics.  They'll have to be patient, and willing to stop playing and go observer to make sure that a new player gets their questions answered, or so they can watch the new player and toss in some tips.  Also, if it's not already implemented, a mod that can allow the admin to chat directly to that player.

I think some newbies get frustrated by the constant respawning, or some of the older players telling them to screw off when they ask simple questions.  They might react by being douches in the game, TKing assets and players.

Even if it only helps half of the new players, and only ten percent of those become a fan of the game, it's totally worth the time involved in my eyes.  Anything that can help bolster the community is a good thing.

Formally ElectricMindFunk
DUN_DUNNA
Señor Nugget

View Profile WWW
38: January 21, 2009, 07:56:19 AM »
I have a friend who does that a lot. He doesn't really mean it when he does it, he just tries to distract whoever killed him so he can kill them. Sounds stupid, but, it's pretty effective sometimes.

ROFL, that would crack me up.

I've been playing quite a bit in Goon Haven, it hasn't been that bad to me.  I like the ping and the rarely do I get any lag.

I don't like it the bad behavior but I've gotten used to it over the years. Tkers always do what they do on a team damage server setting.  It's good to see old names back in the game but I smurf in Goon Haven.

thebeaz
Waffe Des Gottes

View Profile
39: January 21, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »
Can you tell me what "smurf" means? I see the term used (even in server administration) and I'm baffled as to the context.

GoonHaven.org
WiiMote
Señor Nugget

View Profile
40: January 21, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »
Smurfing is using an alternate name than the one you usually go with.  In T2's case, you can create additional profiles other than your main one, those are smurfs.

Formally ElectricMindFunk
thebeaz
Waffe Des Gottes

View Profile
41: January 21, 2009, 08:48:07 AM »
Smurfing is using an alternate name than the one you usually go with.  In T2's case, you can create additional profiles other than your main one, those are smurfs.
Thank you! I've been looking for the setting to disallow aliases. Why can't they call them aliases instead of smurfs. Sigh. It's been causing issues for my admins trying to build lists for repeat offenders on the server.

GoonHaven.org
praimi
Nugget

View Profile
42: January 21, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »

I have noob friend too. He played it few days but he quitted cause he "Dont like those jetpack noobs" I tried to tell him that the jetpacks are important part of the game. Once we played on arena server and he just keep whining for "I shot that gay to head with my laser rifle but he took no damage", "That guy got autoaim"etc. Tongue
DUN_DUNNA
Señor Nugget

View Profile WWW
43: January 21, 2009, 09:01:46 AM »
Thank you! I've been looking for the setting to disallow aliases. Why can't they call them aliases instead of smurfs. Sigh. It's been causing issues for my admins trying to build lists for repeat offenders on the server.

Due to the fact that you can create a new account by changing your IP; it would almost be impossible to curtail smurfing ask Lonewolf8 at EWO or WarlovR at v2rebellion.com for more info on server administration woes! Shocked

Besides... I'm a good smurf on your server!  Grin Wink Cool

Shizuka
Assault

View Profile
44: January 21, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »
<snip for length>

<snip for length>

By no means am I calling your server a bad thing, though the people on it are usually the problem. I usually play more on it than any other server because I love the large amounts of players, even if the J. Random Publics make it hard to get anything done sometimes. I've never been dropped from it out of lag, nor have I ever had much lag to speak of.

There are some damn fine players there too, and maybe I'm just having the misfortune to not be in the server when the admins are. Occasionally someone will start a vote to kick a TKer, but I'm not sure if my HUDs are in the wrong place or if those kinds of votes are only open to their team.

When I tracked down who was running the server, at first I was slightly disappointed to see SA behind it, expecting a near 4chan-esque incursion. But I read the threads talking about the server coming up and seeing all these people who have played before and were itching to get back in. Maybe I just need to go back to those threads to see who to watch for in game.

The server's great, keep it around! Let's work together to figure out what to do about the real low quality players. Smiley

And I wonder... is the term "smurf" in reference to the name being blue? Or did "smurf" come first and the color change after?

The above is Shizuka Kamishima.
Why not?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines