TribesNext

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

TribesNext >  TribesNext.com Forums >  Tribes 2 >  Mods and Customization >  Renegades Mod Files are in here enjoy all Original files from renwerx.com « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Renegades Mod Files are in here enjoy all Original files from renwerx.com
Chocotaco
Nugget

View Profile
15: January 25, 2018, 09:02:35 PM »
Sucks lol. Runs classic fine tho, naturally.

Krash
Administrator

View Profile
16: January 25, 2018, 10:00:57 PM »
The OP didn't mention when the error was encountered or the error code, meaning it could've been any of the usual culprits; yours gave the code and a timeline similar to what some WINE users had previously encountered, which suggested it could be heartbeat-related... but yeah, it's not related to the patch, which could've been ruled out had it been noted the heartbeats were confirmed.

What you're experiencing is a broken implementation in RenVerListQuery() looking up a domain name that doesn't exist: renwerx.com, resulting in the same failed response handling code being called.  Given it's in DSO form, you'll need to either override the function, cancel the scheduled call, or probably even just blank out $VersionListUrl at some point after ren_functions.cs.dso loads.  You can use a 0-timed schedule call in an autoexec script to have something run after all the other queued events.

Thyth
Apotheosis Incarnate

View Profile
17: January 25, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »
Alternatively, consider running a local DNS resolver that lies about NX domain responses, and directs them to localhost/127.0.0.1, or some other local network address configured to close incoming network connections. T2 DNS resolving code is definitely flaky, and use of TCPObject instances in scripts can result in crashes in what would otherwise be "typical" network failure scenarios. TribesNext scripts use a lot of these, and it's possible that these instability issues are worse when there are multiple scripts making outbound connections in this manner.

Generally, the older that systems are, the more attractive "lies to children" approaches seem for keeping behavior sensible. You should probably be running things like T2 servers in virtualized sandboxes regardless at this point, because there are known code execution vulnerabilities reachable from the network message processing path. I wish there were better public tools for setting up these kinds of mirage sandboxes.

Sarcastic, narcissistic, genius, resurrecting the game with brilliant strokes of wizardry.
Infernus
Nugget

View Profile
18: January 25, 2018, 10:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the info, Krash and Thyth.

I was thinking about doing just that either by creating fake DNS entries or just buying the renwerx.com domain name from the current owner to give it an active A record again. Looks like the last owner was...well, what do you know? Nick Daum of Novanix, LLC fame. He was the founder of Plan 9, one of the oldest Renegades clans back in the day. So, would this work like I'm thinking it will?
Blakhart
Juggernaught

View Profile
19: January 25, 2018, 11:13:03 PM »
Is it perhaps looking for thyths new auth server and not finding it?
Chocotaco
Nugget

View Profile
20: January 25, 2018, 11:42:55 PM »
The OP didn't mention when the error was encountered or the error code, meaning it could've been any of the usual culprits; yours gave the code and a timeline similar to what some WINE users had previously encountered, which suggested it could be heartbeat-related... but yeah, it's not related to the patch, which could've been ruled out had it been noted the heartbeats were confirmed.

What you're experiencing is a broken implementation in RenVerListQuery() looking up a domain name that doesn't exist: renwerx.com, resulting in the same failed response handling code being called.  Given it's in DSO form, you'll need to either override the function, cancel the scheduled call, or probably even just blank out $VersionListUrl at some point after ren_functions.cs.dso loads.  You can use a 0-timed schedule call in an autoexec script to have something run after all the other queued events.

I'm no scripter but this got it working with the functions you stated.
Attached files
* Cancelrenwerx.cs (0.53 KB - downloaded 58 times.)

Ragora
Seņor Nugget

View Profile WWW
21: January 26, 2018, 12:26:02 AM »
Tribes 2 and TribesNext RC2A themselves are okay under WINE. I've ran T2 that way for years.

Lookups to nonexistent domains are known to crash under certain circumstances. I'd be curious about if the DSO files can be edited to have the string table references to the now-defunct domains to read 127.0.0.1 or localhost which might sidestep the problem without the need for weird hosting environments (I believe a connection refused response might not actually trigger the crash).

Though just stubbing out the problematic functions should be good enough. By the way, that patch script above could simply read:

Code:
package RenwerxFix
{
    function RenVerListQuery() { }
};

if (!isActivePackage(RenwerxFix))
    activatePackage(RenwerxFix);

If you're going to override serverCmdMissionStartPhase3Done, you should call parent before exiting which is why in this case it's probably better to stub the problematic function directly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:32:47 AM by Ragora »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Supposedly Einstein
Infernus
Nugget

View Profile
22: January 26, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
Anyone know where to get the Renegades v2.1b update? I can only seem to find v2.0b. I found a ZIP file labeled v2.1b that contains ren_scripts.vl2. However, this doesn't appear to be any different than the ren_scripts.vl2 that comes included with v2.0b.
Chocotaco
Nugget

View Profile
23: January 26, 2018, 09:44:56 AM »
Though just stubbing out the problematic functions should be good enough. By the way, that patch script above could simply read:
Code:
package RenwerxFix
{
    function RenVerListQuery() { }
};

if (!isActivePackage(RenwerxFix))
    activatePackage(RenwerxFix);

This works as well.

FatesWebb
Nugget

View Profile
24: September 11, 2018, 09:33:46 PM »
Did u get a server running? I would love to play this.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

irc.quakenet.org / #TribesNext Powered by SMF  © Simple Machines
anything