Expert snipers chime in - I need sniping advice

2»

Comments

• you should practice on maps like damnation and rollercoaster before broadside
  • Laser Rifle is not a hitscan weapon, it is like other projectile weapons but shoots a projectle with infinite speed
    Congratulations, you have successfully defined what a hitscan weapon is. A projectile with infinite velocity.

Ok, sorry, i thought hitscan weapon system works like in CS - hits are based at Your view - when You aim directly at the enemy - You hit it. Not aiming at the position that enemy will be after "your pingl
  • .04 sens and i never snipe if my ping is above 100
    if it's at all possible i find as level ground as possible, and like proj said you just want to strafe into the shot. The best advice you're gunna get is to just practice. after awhile you should be able to look at a target and based off his speed and direction know where to drag your mouse.
    gl
  • edited April 2009
    Spend whole games practising. Its not the most ideal way to score kills in a game, but later it will help (ocassionaly killing FCs, killing other snipers, softening LD) . Try and predict the target's motion and take into account their speed and direction. Also set the mouse sensitivy to a comfortable setting (The mouse shouldn't jerk off, making you miss, which is quite annoying when you first start). As Im based in Europe, my ping does go over 100. But that doesnt stop me sniping FCs :o

EDIT: Btw, you'll know you're a good sniper, when you manage to kill the Flag carrier atleast 950ms away. Ive done that, and trust me, theres no cheating involved when players do that. Predicting the motion of the target is essential. Also make it priority to kill players in Light who have SL :)

Oh and again, assign strafing keys. Helps to kill other snipers and shows them that you're not a novice.
  • Laser Rifle is not a hitscan weapon, it is like other projectile weapons but shoots a projectle with infinite speed
    Congratulations, you have successfully defined what a hitscan weapon is. A projectile with infinite velocity.

Ok, sorry, i thought hitscan weapon system works like in CS - hits are based at Your view - when You aim directly at the enemy - You hit it. Not aiming at the position that enemy will be after "your pingl

What's a pingl? is that like a pringle?
  • Grab the laser and play. Don't worry about ping, you'll learn soon enough how to adjust for ping. Scripts that remove weapons also remove the ability to see if your muzzle clears the cover you're hiding behind. A script that varies the zoom level for each weapon, and perhaps one that also slows down mouse response when the laser is selected would be kinda nice, but I just settle for autopoints and frameskippa. Skippa can help with lousy frame rate and ping.
  • I'm not on IRC much although I could show up. I'm more easily found through talking on goon haven (i actually read the chats during games). Maybe i'll get on IRC sometimes. I'm DarkBasilisk in most T2 related things.

Btw guys i haven't seen this demo in a while: I *think* the second match is the better one, I'll find out soon.

I use some kind of microsoft laser mouse. Optical ones did kinda get annoying after a while.

Also: random blurb: the Beach Blitz is not to observe for tactics, looking back I bungled so many things on that match. Although you can have fun watching Tarzul, the master shrike rammer :P Let's hope I was right about the second demo being the winner, I'll find out soon :)
    Auto Aim is also very good at ramming people.
    My advice for sniping would be at closer ranges, do not zoom in or keep a very low level of zoom. At extended ranges of sniping zoom in but also wait for the person to slow down. Like when an FC is running wait for them to slow down in mid air so the shot is much easier for you too hit. The only way your going to get better is with lots of practice. I have roughly the same ping as you and I can hit pretty consistently now because I always have a sniper on me. As for the leading part it just takes alot of practice and luck. Those guys with like 40-50 headshots a game in Goon Haven..They ain't going to help you..That's what you call HM bro.
  • I think the trick to sniping is the speed with which you can get your crosshairs centered on the target. When you're sniping, unless it's one of those awkward angles (which I hate, and which take mostly experience and luck to hit), there's going to be a point when your target is moving relatively slowly with respect to you, and that's when you need to make your shot. For instance, if your target is jetting up, wait until he stops jetting and then fire when he's at the top of his trajectory and moving slowly. It's much harder to hit him on the way up or down.

Also, don't try for headshots specifially, unless your target is standing dead still. You miss more times than you make up for with whatever headshots you may get.

Also, if you're going to try midair sniping, don't jet and snipe at the same time. Not only doe sit use up your energy, it also makes it harder to aim. Just let yourself freefall while you make your shot, then try and pick a nice hillside to land on so you don't hurt yourself. However, air-to-air or air-to-ground sniping takes a lot of experience to get good at. ;)

I find sniping to be much easier with a lower ping, so you might want to practice your sniping on servers where you ping well.
  • I did manage to edit a cg script to work with the laser, and while it worked as expected and very easy to edit, I hate the choppy gameplay that results from said interpolation scripts.
  • Who was the best sniper I ever saw? Well, I'll tell ya, I've seen a lot of them. Most of them are just names on a score screen, back on some server that doesn't even exist anymore. Some of them are right here on this forum. And some of them are still out there somewhere, doing what they always do, logging on each day with a hurdling piece of machinery, putting their hides out on the line, hanging it out over the edge, pushing back the outside of that envelope and hauling it back in ... but there was one sniper I once saw who I think truly did have the right ..

"tldr"

... who was the best sniper I ever saw? You're looking at him.
  • you already posted that in a different thread
  • I do not consider myself an expert (more like above average ;D)-- something I used to do for practice: deploy 3-5 mines on the ground and distance yourself about 300 meters. Try to detonate the mines with your laser rifle while strafing, skiing, jumping, jetting, etc. This will help with your reflexes for future matches.

Also, for targets moving perpendicular across your screen, if they are within 200 meters or so, try hitting without zoom. I find it easier to adjust to the motion of the target, though it becomes much, much harder to pull off at longer ranges.
  • snipping really depends on how patient you are and how accurate you are for instance wen im sniping i realize my hand tends to wolb every so often so if you are like me and have a hand that fidgets some times try taking the shot when you have the chance or just hope you get lucky and shoot when you start getting a little out of hand while controlling the lazer