The Linux Thread

13»

Comments

• I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 AMD64

the old TribesNext patch works perfect for me!!!

I just installed TribesNext_rc1e.exe with wine

VGCA
  • Is there any update to getting this working just out of interest?
  • The Ruby 1.9.1 update is still high priority. I'll try to resolve all final issues at the start of January.
  • Thanks Thyth. Let us know when RC3 is ready. I've been running rc1e with no problems under WINE for a while, except for the odd unhandled exception it's been fine.

Would be nice to somehow install the native linux Tribes 2 on my amd64 machine but the Loki installer just doesn't want to cooperate.
  • Tracking bugs down in the Ruby interpreter code hasn't been fruitful so far, so, the current plan is to have a slightly different distribution for users of Wine. That distribution will use a native Linux Ruby interpreter in the place of the Windows one. All other pieces should remain the same. Windows will stay with the Ruby 1.9.0 interpreter for the reasons outlined.

Wine seems perfectly capable (and happy) to launch either a Windows or system native executable from the Windows CreateProcess API call, so beyond a slightly different installation process (and the requirement that the Ruby libraries are installed Linux side), it should be pretty seamless.
  • edited April 2010
    Hi everyone. Bumping this thread hoping for some news/tricks.

Background- I had been running tribesnext on windows for almost 6 months specially the last 2 for some gametime. Fun times. Recently made the jump to Ubuntu 9.10 & installed tribesnext with the TribesNext_rc1e.exe patch using Wine 1.1.31 & the installation went smoothly without a hitch. Game launches fine, even was able to go through settings to map the keyboard. Although I sometimes get an UE at launch, if I keep trying I eventually can get to the list of servers but as soon I try to join a server, I get the daunted UE C0000005 and it crashes. Occasionally, attempting to join a server shows an error to the line of: "Servers sent back wrong client challenge"... try to join again & UE/crash. Haven't yet been able to get past this, try as I might.

I saw in this thread some of you have been able to play using the TribesNext_rc1e.exe patch but I just not have had the same luck. I am not using the t2hack.py script as many have, should I be? Any insight you can guys can provide would save me from going back to Windows! Please help!
  • You ought to read the previous page of this thread, but here's a summary:

Only certain older versions of wine work atm, like:

wine 1.1.11
    wine 1.0.1

Newer versions seem to get a log-in "invalid patch" problem. Thyth said how he'll eventually fix it, with a separate linux version of the TribesNext patch.

Also, make sure you've made an account... I think it still requires linux users to ask others, over the IRC channel, to make an account for them.

Most importantly: DO NOT MODIFY T2 IN ANY WAY! Keep the basic installations as is, and make sure to use a .dso - remover once in a while. Modifications of T2 (skins, mods, voice kits, special binds, etc.) are currently the No.1 cause of Unhandled Exceptions for those running Tribes 2 through Wine (proof through experience).
  • update? anything? I want to get my friend who won't even install windows to play with me. So help me obi wan Thythobe, you are my only hope
  • Here's a testing grade patch to apply on top of RC2a: http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=2095.0

It uses a fairly roundabout way to deal with the problems encountered with Ruby, but it appears to be functional from my tests.
  • This did not work for me, Mac0SX 10.6.3 and crossover games 8.1.4. The game wont even launch, pops up in the dock for a few seconds then disappears.
  • I don't have any Mac OS X systems on which to test this change set. If you connect to the IRC channel, I could try to guide you through a few possibilities interactively.
  • edited May 2011
    Bumping this thread. I've tried different versions of WINE under my PlayOnLinux front-end and have yet to get this to run. I can run the game without the patch, but it completely bricks once the Tribes Next patch is installed. The versions of WINE that I have tried are: 1.1.11,
    1.0.1, and currently 1.3.1. None of them work. I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit with pulseaudio stripped out.

EDIT: I found the fix for this on the forum, though I am having trouble creating an account as it doesn't seem to be doing anything after I hit create account.
  • EDIT: I found the fix for this on the forum, though I am having trouble creating an account as it doesn't seem to be doing anything after I hit create account.
    It would be nice if you included the link so that people who stumble upon your same problem know where to go....
  • edited July 2011
    *You can make an account with the following:

1) Option 1 -->
    - Wine-1.2.2, -OR- Wine-1.2-rc5
    - These instructions -> http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php/topic,2095.0.html

-OR-

2) Option 2 -->
    - Ask in the IRC: irc://irc.tribalwar.com/tribesnext - irc.tribalwar.com / #TribesNext for someone to make an account for you. Password stealing is not an issue (cuz there's nothing left to steal).

Also, if it doesn't work with the Tribes Next RC2a patch, try the Tribes Next RC1e patch. If not, keep trying the different patches. Patches listed HERE.

*And you can log in with your account with the following:

- Wine 1.0
    - These instructions (if you haven't already done them in the account making part, for some reason) -> http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php/topic,2095.0.html

You can NOT log-in with Wine-1.2-rc5.

*Advice:

- Best Wine versions (in order of best to worst):

1) Wine-1.0
    2) Wine-1.1.11
    3) Wine-1.0.1
    4) Wine-1.2

- Most importantly: DO NOT MODIFY T2 IN ANY WAY! Keep the basic installations as is, and make sure to use a .dso - remover once in a while. Modifications of T2 (skins, mods, voice kits, special binds, etc.) are currently the No.1 cause of Unhandled Exceptions for those running Tribes 2 through Wine (proof through experience).

Note: More recently, I've found it's OK to mod some stuff, just do so one bit at a time.

- Use DSO-Removers, I recommend every single time you run TribesNext.

- Goon Haven Issues: I've found that on the "Goon Haven" server, which runs Classic mod, errors of all kinds can happen, but ONLY on certain maps (although many maps that it runs). These errors, including "Bad File Descriptors", "Segmentation Fault", and "UE", will crash T2. They will be very frequent on some maps, every few minutes, making game-play ridiculous.

SO, try other servers and mods until each error-prone map passes, if you're determined to play on Goon's. I know Triumph Mod server doesn't have such problems usually, mostly the server crashing, so just much rarer errors. MD2, MDTW, TSW, Shifter mods have similar low number of errors, based on some experience

(Please tell me if you find any problems with particular scripts, mods, servers, maps NOT on Goon Haven ... go ahead and make a list of the error-prone maps hosted on Goon's, if you like, but I don't think anything can be done with it).
  • *I think you can make an account with the following:

- Wine-1.2-rc5
    - These instructions -> http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php/topic,2095.0.html

You can NOT log-in with Wine-1.2-rc5.

This worked great, thanks! I'm running Kubuntu (Ubuntu) Lucid 10.04.

I followed the above instruction's using my system's Wine (wine-1.2.2).

*Advice:

- Best Wine versions (in order of best to worst):

1) Wine-1.0
    2) Wine-1.1.11
    3) Wine-1.0.1
    4) Wine-1.2

- Most importantly: DO NOT MODIFY T2 IN ANY WAY! Keep the basic installations as is, and make sure to use a .dso - remover once in a while. Modifications of T2 (skins, mods, voice kits, special binds, etc.) are currently the No.1 cause of Unhandled Exceptions for those running Tribes 2 through Wine (proof through experience).

Note: More recently, I've found it's OK to mod some stuff, just do so one bit at a time.

- Use DSO-Removers, I recommend every single time you run TribesNext.

It is definitely still true that you cannot play multiplayer unless you use a version of Wine like 1.0. I obtained wine-1.0 via PlayOnLinux:

$ sudo aptitude install playonlinux
    $ playonlinux

In PlayOnLinux:
    • Go to Tools --> Manage wine versions
    • select "1.0" from the top box
    • click "Add"

After that's done, exit PlayOnLinux. I only used it to easily build a local wine in my home directory (~/.PlayOnLinux/).

Now we can try to login and play:

$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Dynamix/Tribes2/GameData/
    $ rm -v $(find base -name '*.dso') # Remove DSO's, just in case
    $ ~/.PlayOnLinux/WineVersions/1.0/usr/bin/wine Tribes2.exe -online # Use wine-1.0

- Goon Haven Issues: I've found that on the "Goon Haven" server, which runs Classic mod, errors of all kinds can happen, but ONLY on certain maps (although many maps that it runs). These errors, including "Bad File Descriptors", "Segmentation Fault", and "UE", will crash T2. They will be very frequent on some maps, every few minutes, making game-play ridiculous.

I just played a bit on Goon Haven and it seemed to be working fine. Yay! :)