Curiosity: Who all is working on mods or other project still?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Nice. I didn't hear much about Atom before, but it looks pretty cool. I'm gonna try that just for the torquescript autocomplete, and by that I mean when I type something I expect some function suggestions.

By the way, this isn't Phantom139's version (1314). It's version 1.47, which I downloaded from Jusctsch5. I I wanted to add this stuff on phantom's version because it has more monsters, areas, and hopefully more bug fixes, but it runs a bit slowly for me even on a dedicated server and it just doesn't play the mod music. Maybe the quests on his version would also have an inconsistent story with mine.
  • edited June 2017
    Well, fuck it. I think I just wasted my time on this, so I'll stop working on it. The level progression and class balancing is really fucked. Some classes are too powerful and there are not enough monsters in-between areas that are at your level. If you are a weak class, it will happen that a lot of times you'll meet one or two monsters above your level that will kill you super easily. And if I were to balance all of this or modify all the spawns in addition to the quests, it would take even more of my time. Which I can't do since I still have some bot maps to support and not enough free time.

I looked at Phantom's version and he actually did balance all of this and fix some stuff. The problem is that I'd have to apply my modifications again to Phantom's version, which I can't be bothered to do again. I can see why many people dropped their work on this mod. It had such great potential and I actually enjoy screwing in it alone, but it's just not finished and the code's a bit of a mess. Which is a shame because I would've loved to play this in a finished state considering that it's pretty fun even now. I guess that maybe if people want to play RPG mods, they should probably head to Tribes 1 RPG, since that's still in development and is great. Here's some gameplay for those who don't know about this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcUoEq6xl8
  • used to play tribes 1 rpg its kinda cool mod but i never got on lvl 100 remot for once kinda dont have time anymore
  • Well, fuck it. I think I just wasted my time on this, so I'll stop working on it. The level progression and class balancing is really fucked. Some classes are too powerful and there are not enough monsters in-between areas that are at your level. If you are a weak class, it will happen that a lot of times you'll meet one or two monsters above your level that will kill you super easily. And if I were to balance all of this or modify all the spawns in addition to the quests, it would take even more of my time. Which I can't do since I still have some bot maps to support and not enough free time.

I looked at Phantom's version and he actually did balance all of this and fix some stuff. The problem is that I'd have to apply my modifications again to Phantom's version, which I can't be bothered to do again. I can see why many people dropped their work on this mod. It had such great potential and I actually enjoy screwing in it alone, but it's just not finished and the code's a bit of a mess. Which is a shame because I would've loved to play this in a finished state considering that it's pretty fun even now. I guess that maybe if people want to play RPG mods, they should probably head to Tribes 1 RPG, since that's still in development and is great. Here's some gameplay for those who don't know about this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYcUoEq6xl8

The balancing work was a hefty load as you can imagine. One of the key issues was as you mentioned, that some classes were simply very underpowered compared to others in that mod, and most people would just run for the mage / warrior classes.

The big thing I did in my version of the mod was "fill in the gaps" for those level zones, as progression would end up having these wide gaps where you would end up stuck in the same zone farming the same stuff for hours and even days just to be able to get to the next zone.

I should have a copy of my notes on that somewhere if you're interested.
  • edited November 2017
    The big thing I did in my version of the mod was "fill in the gaps" for those level zones, as progression would end up having these wide gaps where you would end up stuck in the same zone farming the same stuff for hours and even days just to be able to get to the next zone.
    Yeah, it's also why I mentioned that you sort of fixed that issue. Still, I don't wanna go back and redo my changes but this time to your version (I changed a different one), maybe it's not worth the effort. And then there's still the issue of some classes being really underpowered, as you said.

My idea of a great Tribes 2 RPG mod would be different and more suited for the low population of today. It would be like capture and hold with item drops, stats you can modify, and bots having their progress/stats saved just like players, with all the action happening in large maps.
  • It's an interesting concept. Sounds a bit like Powers Mod in a way but more suited towards larger maps, where Powers was built for fast paced combat.
  • i know you guys have been talking mostly coding related modding here, but I thought I'd throw this in the fray of chat here.

Nothing I've been doing is 'modding' (as in coding changes), I've mostly focused on the graphical part.

I got ReShade working pretty well in T2 now, so it gets a little step up there (MXAO, better lighting, etc).

Been slowly working on all the textures in T2 (Mostly been the GUI and Weapon ones. Those weapons can go up 2x!) What I've done so far looks better to me.

Also got the models for T2, though I simply can NOT find 3D MAX 2.5 to edit them (or whichever version is needed for them).
  • edited July 2017
    try here;
    http://vetusware.com/download/3D Studio Max 2.5/?id=13242

Also I have these if needed;

- "Msvcrtd.dll" needs to go in the 3DS Max 2.5 folder.
    - "ViconCombiningExporter.DLO" needs to go in the 3DS Max 2.5\Plugins folder.
  • Boy I'm glad I checked back here, working on a new vehicle-centric clientside TC mod and me and the team could _not_ find 3DSMax 2.5/3.5 for the life of me. Any files, enhancements, and/or custom meshes anyone has would be extremely useful for the project. Contact me on Discord here: https://discord.gg/zVWJaKq