[Input] Site proposals...

Comments

• A lot of this stuff (mod downloads, info, server tutorials) should be addressed in a wiki.
  • No need to reinvent the wheel tribaloutpost.com exists for this very purpose.
    Hosting of scripts, skins, and mods.

Or links thereto.

As a sticky.
  • Number of online servers!
    Number of players!
    Number of players!

This mostly does that, it's just separate from this site for now :)
    http://www.maxogc.net/tribes/t2/max_t2_master.php
    Number of players!

This mostly does that, it's just separate from this site for now :)
    http://www.maxogc.net/tribes/t2/max_t2_master.php

It would be nice though, if that were integrated on this site, as well as server popularity, and peak hours!
  • Something I think would be advantageous for tribesnext to have is a competition system. One that will keep our player base here, and provide them with pickups, ladders and tournaments. As this is more of a long term goal, perhaps we could have a forum category dedicated to competition discussion for the short term. Is this possible Krash, we would appreciate it!
  • Sorry I haven't checked back in a while, been busy all week. However, some more of the ideas presented will probably be added to the site in the coming week.
  • how about a forum role-playing area set in the tribes universe?

there used to be a site long ago that did just that and it was a blast to play, almost as fun a great t2 game.

it will give those that wish it a chance to immures themselves in the game world without requiring a lot of resources from the website and without harming the gaming experience of those that dont want to roleplay.
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat
    I cast Lvl 3 eroticism and turn you into real beautiful woman
  • How about attaching a video on the main site?

I suspect alot of people who get linked here from the mainstream gaming sites just hear about some old game getting revived but have no idea what it's like. Attaching something like the R vs IA youtube vid on the main site might attract more players.
  • How about attaching a video on the main site?

I suspect alot of people who get linked here from the mainstream gaming sites just hear about some old game getting revived but have no idea what it's like. Attaching something like the R vs IA youtube vid on the main site might attract more players.

This is a brilliant idea.
  • When you reply to a post, make it show the post you just posted. It's obnoxious being thrown back to the general discussion.
  • Profile -> Look and Layout Preferences -> Return to topics after posting by default.
  • I've got extensive experience with SMF and Tiny Portal if any admins here wanted my help to expand the capabilities of this SMF install please PM me.

A shoutbox would be nice, but you would have to go to a 2 or 3 column theme. Would be handy to put TS/Vent and Server status boxes on the site, too.
  • BTW - depending on who owns this theme (if you do, it's not a question) and they approve, CRIP over at TinyPortal.net will probably convert it to work with TP mod you install for SMF and just allow you to expand the forum to a 2-column site (sidebar) for all your gadgets and a shoutbox.

Heck it might already work just fine already..
  • a stats system would also make base repairers like meh look bad D:
  • Considering the heated discussions and borderline flaming that go on about the various mods and maps in Tribes 2, I think a section should be made specifically for that.

If things start getting out of hand in some of the other threads on the forums, a mod should simply close the thread. Let's avoid flamewars. Locking threads that get way off topic or start getting heated has been shown to work extremely well on another forum I frequent. And some people might be turned off by a community that's having so much trouble getting along.

Also, someone mentioned a front page video: I've been tossing around the idea of putting together a simple gameplay video (or videos) that attempts to touch on all the basic mechanics of Tribes 2, including the weapons, vehicles, deployables, skiing, defending, and capping... and would include commentary on what's being done.
  • Considering the heated discussions and borderline flaming that go on about the various mods and maps in Tribes 2, I think a section should be made specifically for that.

If things start getting out of hand in some of the other threads on the forums, a mod should simply close the thread. Let's avoid flamewars. Locking threads that get way off topic or start getting heated has been shown to work extremely well on another forum I frequent. And some people might be turned off by a community that's having so much trouble getting along.

Also, someone mentioned a front page video: I've been tossing around the idea of putting together a simple gameplay video (or videos) that attempts to touch on all the basic mechanics of Tribes 2, including the weapons, vehicles, deployables, skiing, defending, and capping... and would include commentary on what's being done.

I second that motion, and I am digging that video idea.

I rather enjoy the original Sierra Tribes 2 intro. For all the people we're interoducing it to for the first time, I think they'll like it as well wouldnt they?

7 years ago some of these gamers were still wetting the bed.
  • I've been on forums where flamewars get pruned from a thread and dumped into a flame section. That way the original topic of the thread (assuming the whole thread wasn't flames) can still be built upon.

As for the video, I'll third that motion. I think I'll start experimenting with FRAPS and the movie making script from PJ's pack to see what I can come up with. If I come up with anything that looks promising I'll toss up some samples to see if we like.

On the subject of the intro, I'm having trouble playing it outside of, well, the intro. Is it using a special codec that WMP, GOM Player, MPC, and Zoom Player aren't getting?
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6j16ilUK0&fmt=18

Looking at it now, all I can think is, "Looks almost as good as Crysis".
  • 7 years ago some of these gamers were still wetting the bed.
    And some of them still are!

Flame wars and such will be dealt with as they crop up. If you feel a thread/post is too aggressive or off topic, let us know.
  • a stats system would also make base repairers like meh look bad D:

If we were to implement a stat tracking system it would need to be more advanced then PJ's in order to help account for less recognized people, like Typhoonoftempest said. Their job is crucial to the team but doesn't always revolve around the almighty kill/death ratio that has been promoted for so long.

We would need a general point system. Where each possible activity in Tribes would merit a certain number of points (independent of how much the game/server/mod considers it to be worth). That way each person would have an average "Score per round". If somebody has the ability to come up with a tracking program like this I would help come up with a point-equivalency chart for each in-game activity.
  • http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=414.0

Thing is, what if people abuse that system to give themselves massive amounts of points and make themselves look good?
  • http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=414.0

Thing is, what if people abuse that system to give themselves massive amounts of points and make themselves look good?

If it's an officialized system, stat tracking could be enabled from the server itself. Download the proper mod, the server could update its information once a day or something.
  • anybody with a brain could still find a way to submit false scores...
    just my two cents.
  • What I mean, is that the game server would be the one updating the information. If it's on a per server basis, you'd have quite a barrier preventing players from falsifying the scores. The game server would have to have an appropriate mod to track all the pertinent information though.
  • One of the things I felt led to a downfall in team work with games was stats tracking. I often looked back on T2 and remarked how stats weren't an issue. Your team winning the game was.

Everyone knew who was making an effort..

I guess if it included non offensive stats as well like repairs and turret kills, mine kills etc that would be sweet.
  • One of the things I felt led to a downfall in team work with games was stats tracking. I often looked back on T2 and remarked how stats weren't an issue. Your team winning the game was.

Everyone knew who was making an effort..

I guess if it included non offensive stats as well like repairs and turret kills, mine kills etc that would be sweet.

Some people are stat whores and detract from the team aspect, but sometimes it's just fun to see what your current rank is. I would definitely want one that showed defensive stats as well (as long as the stuff was actually logged).